Christmas storm could be “Paralyzing” for Buffalo

CountDorkula

3 minutes ago, Process said:

I did not buy enough beer

You can't drive anyway so I agree having a stocked beverage fridge is the way to go! Salud! I'm glad you are not totally dry

Merry Christmas

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

What Holiday movies do you have on deck?

Home Alone for about the 10th time this year…

We are big into the YouTube fitness winter chases from brain break central for the little one. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The lights in my house are flickering already 

and the winds Are whipping… buckle up and stay safe 

Power outage for about a minute in Clarence. Back up and running for now…

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Winds are picking up in the north towns. We battened down the hatches as best we could last night. We’ve got two big trees next door that we are worried about hitting the house, and failed to instal a back up genny or battery powered sump pump back up, so definitely fingers crossed we don’t lose power for an extended time as a flooded finished basement is not a good early holiday gift. 

othewise, my girls and I aren’t going anywhere or doing anything but keeping warm, and sledding through a variety of holiday movies songs and activities. Actually quite looking forward to it! 

Stay safe, everyone’

I hope you maintain power.  Nothing gets my anxiety up like the failed sump and finished (uninsured/un-permitted) basement issue.  

My sump failed about a month before the construction of the basement during a 4 day rain event.  It wasn't pretty.  With the new sump, I got the battery backup hooked up to the water line.  Still anxious about it.  Might splurge for the full-on backup generator this summer

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone noticing that Buffalo is getting a "once in a generation" type winter storm about once a week so far this winter?

They already seem to have forgotten about the 5 feet in 48-72 hours....which is unheard of!

IT's all global warming/climate change.  As that situation gets worse, weather all over will continue to be crazy and the "big" storms of all types and seasons will get bigger.

30 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This “started” at around 7:30 am in Williamsville. By 10 am we were without power, still without it now and not likely to come on anytime soon.

So…2 hours in, no power and only 36 hours left to go.  Cool, cool, cool. 

Thinking of you Bro--and don't be reading this forum while you try to conserve phone battery! Some of us, myself included, actually lost power for a few hours last night in the Atlanta metro area--downed tree limbs from the high winds being the likely culprit. @Royale with Cheesemaybe can weigh in on it actually not being way too hot here today!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Not that bad. Still see some grass. Windy though, looks like 2" max on driveway, southern exposure deck is bare... But snow may be piled up in other areas. Nothing on my truck in driveway.  Clear windshield, roof. 

Again. Maybe 2-3" max. Was sunny a little bit ago. 

Temp is -5°F with -32°F windchill. I may go out later and shovel where the drifts are. The approach to driveway looks the thickest.  Other parts bare.

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thinking of you Bro--and don't be reading this forum while you try to conserve phone battery! Some of us, myself included, actually lost power for a few hours last night in the Atlanta metro area--downed tree limbs from the high winds being the likely culprit. @Royale with Cheesemaybe can weigh in on it actually not being way too hot here today!  

Thank you, Brother.  Not only appreciated but needed.  My girls are…not coping. 🤣

I have another friend from Atlanta, too, and he mentioned he lost power.

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Winds are picking up in the north towns. We battened down the hatches as best we could last night. We’ve got two big trees next door that we are worried about hitting the house, and failed to instal a back up genny or battery powered sump pump back up, so definitely fingers crossed we don’t lose power for an extended time as a flooded finished basement is not a good early holiday gift. 

othewise, my girls and I aren’t going anywhere or doing anything but keeping warm, and sledding through a variety of holiday movies songs and activities. Actually quite looking forward to it! 

Stay safe, everyone’

Thanks EII, you stay safe and have a great holiday weekend!

I just had a sump pump break down last month and flooded my finished basement. Cost over $21,000 to repair. 

I really hope you don’t lose power. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers you make it through this weather event unscathed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have 40 pounds of ham if anyone is interested.  Thanks Brady.

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Lackawanna 79 mph gust. Airport 72. Sustained winds 45-50.  15 foot waves on Lake Erie.

Did they get that seawall up by Hoak's on route 5 yet?

Edited by Doc Brown

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.