More controversy: It took an AZ challenge to get Davante Parker checked for concussion

Beck Water

https://www.patspulpit.com/2022/12/13/23507805/nfl-nflpa-review-devante-parkers-removal-patriots-cardinals-game

Parker was wobbly getting up after a 10-yard reception in the first quarter, but the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant did not immediately stop play. Even with the wideout struggling to hold his balance and teammate Nelson Agholor frantically trying to get the officials’ attention, it took a Cardinals challenge of the previous play to stop the next one from happening.

Parker eventually left the field during the timeout initiated by the Cardinals’ unsuccessful challenge, and headed into the blue medical tent. He was deemed questionable to return to the contest with a head injury before departing for the locker room and officially getting ruled out midway through the second quarter.

Him not immediately getting removed, however, is now subject to the league and player union review. It is not the first of its kind this season: following a Week 3 game that saw Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa return despite showing concussion symptoms, the NFL and NFLPA reviewed that situation as well.

Parker is not pleased:

Meanwhile Bill Belicheck thinks there's nothing too unusual in a player who can't stand up straight:

“That’s a little bit of a timing [issue] there. You’re talking about seconds that are taking place. If you’re sure there’s something wrong, then you address it, and the players should address it right away. If you get a hit and it stuns you for a second or two and then everything pops back into normal, that happens plenty of times out there, too. I don’t think you want people running out onto the field after every play

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Props to Nelson Agholor.  It takes guts to say out loud that you think a teammate shouldn't be on the field, much less being as demonstrative as he was.

Yeah, I was really proud of him watching it live, because he clearly was trying to do the right thing. It was obvious that Parker was out on his feet. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Honest question- there’s one spotter? Where is he located? How many views does he have? Any replay capability for him?

This was my question.  Do they have this guy sitting in the 300 section or what? This is the nfl.  There’s should be no visibility issues for this employee. 

Edited by teef

10 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, I was really proud of him watching it live, because he clearly was trying to do the right thing. It was obvious that Parker was out on his feet. 

The reason it's heartening for me to see stuff like that is that cynics will claim that the negative systems in place prevent people from doing the right thing and that we're all just going to circle the drain because of it.  And systems do make it harder.  But then you have people who just go and...do the right thing anyway.  And moreover, because of the nature of the internet, anyone in power who had a problem with what Agholor did would be rendered toothless.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, teef said:

This was my question.  Do they have this guy sitting in the 300 section or what? This is the nfl.  There’s should be no visibility issues for this employee. 

jokes aside, one guy watching- thinks he sees something with a blocker, misses the receiver getting up while watching one of the other 21 guys for a symptom? 

im not saying that happened here but was genuinely curious about the mechanics of the role for future discussions/expectations 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2022/12/13/23507805/nfl-nflpa-review-devante-parkers-removal-patriots-cardinals-game

Parker is not pleased:

Meanwhile Bill Belicheck thinks there's nothing too unusual in a player who can't stand up straight:

I saw that live and it was obvious he needed help. The NFL and NFLPA are launching an investigation to see what happened. Aghalor was a stand up guy then, and well BB just towing the company line so he doesn’t get fined. Loo

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

I saw that live and it was obvious he needed help. The NFL and NFLPA are launching an investigation to see what happened. Aghalor was a stand up guy then, and well BB just towing the company line so he doesn’t get fined. Loo

Thanks for your input!  Yeah, it looked bad on TV.

Good for Aghalor.

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Ffs

Miami

New England. 

Anyone surprised at these 2 desperate teams?

Miami is rolling out Armstead in duct tape.  New England put Stevenson back out he could barely run.  

I want to kick the ***t out of both of them so bad.  

This instance is on the NFL spotter. The Pats had nothing to do with it. As for Stevenson he went out for 1 play and never went back in again. That happens all the time! Even the Bills have done it. 

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Ffs

Miami

New England. 

Anyone surprised at these 2 desperate teams?

Miami is rolling out Armstead in duct tape.  New England put Stevenson back out he could barely run.  

I want to kick the ***t out of both of them so bad.  

Well, intending no offense to our Pats fan guest in this thread, I sorta thought that more *****-kicking than the score implies took place in Foxboro 2 weeks ago.

40 minutes ago, Trock said:

Everyone’s a Dr. Including Agholor. We need to go back to game by game paychecks, no guarantee salary, like the good old days… NFL has become soft. 

Hard disagree here. Most players can tell when another player has a concussion. By the time a player gets to the NFL, they've probably had one at some point in the years they've played football. Look at Tua earlier this year. Retired players on twitter were going off the Miami put him back in the game, and they were right.

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

Hard disagree here. Most players can tell when another player has a concussion. By the time a player gets to the NFL, they've probably had one at some point in the years they've played football. Look at Tua earlier this year. Retired players on twitter were going off the Miami put him back in the game, and they were right.

Re-read the post you responded to and ask yourself if you're truly agreeing with it. You seem to be arguing that any player, such as Agholor and retired players on twitter, know how to recognize a concussion and were looking out for the wellbeing of their colleagues. I'm pretty sure that's not what's being conveyed in the other post when the poster goes on to suggest players missing games for injuries should not be paid because the NFL has become soft.

On 12/14/2022 at 10:53 PM, transient said:

Re-read the post you responded to and ask yourself if you're truly agreeing with it. You seem to be arguing that any player, such as Agholor and retired players on twitter, know how to recognize a concussion and were looking out for the wellbeing of their colleagues. I'm pretty sure that's not what's being conveyed in the other post when the poster goes on to suggest players missing games for injuries should not be paid because the NFL has become soft.

I was disagreeing that the NFL has gone soft?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.