Facial Hair Conundrum

Johnny Hammersticks

So, I usually shave my entire face every morning, but in the winter I like to grow out my beard for a couple months.  Started to grow it out last week.  The only part of it I shave is down on my neck to tidy up the bottom.

Here is my confusion.  When I shave my entire face I never get razor bumps/irritation, but when I just shave just that little section on my neck above my Adams Apple it breaks out like crazy and gets irritated.  Using same shaving products and shaving in the same direction as usual.  Nothing different.  Does anyone know why this might be?  

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So, I usually shave my entire face every morning, but in the winter I like to grow out my beard for a couple months.  Started to grow it out last week.  The only part of it I shave is down on my neck to tidy up the bottom.

Here is my confusion.  When I shave my entire face I never get razor bumps/irritation, but when I just shave just that little section on my neck above my Adams Apple it breaks out like crazy and gets irritated.  Using same shaving products and shaving in the same direction as usual.  Nothing different.  Does anyone know why this might be?  

You vaxxed, bro?

• Haha (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wonder if it's because you're having to stop at the beard's edge, therefore using shorter strokes.  This is an odd one, for sure.

No. I am Sasquatch the Hippie. 

Hope someone can help!  THIS board has some of the finest health, beauty,  and medical minds known to humans! Pretty good with sports pessimism too!😏 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if it's because you're having to stop at the beard's edge, therefore using shorter strokes.  This is an odd one, for sure.

Start at beards edge with a trimmer. 

I always spritz my razors with isopropyl alcohol, let it dwell for a minute, and then use it.  I never keep my razor in the shower, I take it out and let it dry.  It works for me, I've never had a razor burn or the folliculitis on my neck.  

A barber clued me into this a long time ago - razors, etc. all have bacteria on them, and you go away opening up the hair follicles on the neck for it. 

I use isopropyl because it's cheap.  You can also get the fancier barbicide.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I always spritz my razors with isopropyl alcohol, let it dwell for a minute, and then use it.  I never keep my razor in the shower, I take it out and let it dry.  It works for me, I've never had a razor burn or the folliculitis on my neck.  

A barber clued me into this a long time ago - razors, etc. all have bacteria on them, and you go away opening up the hair follicles on the neck for it. 

Mineral oil too. Keep the blade in mineral oil...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Have you ever used an old-school "Safety Razor" before?

I switched to one earlier in the year and love it, as it gives a great shave, but is really easy on the skin.

In short, you only have a single blade cutting the hair, instead of multiple blades cutting the hair and then scraping the heck out of your skin with each pass of the razor.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Good tips.  I never clean my razor, but if that were the problem wouldn’t my neck/face “break out” when I shave normally like I do the other 330 days of the year?

9 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I switched to one earlier in the year and love it, as it gives a great shave, but is really easy on the skin.

In short, you only have a single blade cutting the hair, instead of multiple blades cutting the hair and then scraping the heck out of your skin with each pass of the razor.

Never tried one.   I use a Mach 5 or something.  Try to change the blade every couple weeks or so.  Maybe I’ll give it a go.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I would guess the beard/stubble that is left under your chin is rubbing on the shaved neck spot and irritating it. Which would explain why it doesnt happen if you shave your entire face.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Perhaps 🤔 

I recall "talking" to you before about shaving.

Have you made the move to using an old fashioned safety razor?  

You should be able to trim your beard with that without getting irritation and bumps.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this type of thing can actually be the result of bacteria or some such living on the edge of your razor.  The idea is to keep your razor out of the shower and DRY.  And rotate blades routinely.

If you go the safety razor route, you can get blades for like 20 cents a pop.  And they are sharp and deliver the best shave you'll get.  After about 3 uses, I chuck them and get another.

Some safety razor guys insist on using a new blade every time they shave.  I think that is excessive, but you can afford to do it if you want to.

The best/sharpest blades in the world are FOR SURE made by a Japanese company called "FEATHER."

If I'm using Feather blades I get a good 3-4 uses and then replace.

If you got a safety razor and 100 feather blades and rotate them frequently, and keep everything dry, I think your razor bump problem would cease.

Merkur_34c__17807.1668472099.1280.1280.j

711nr3bjGtL._SL1500___56860.1630725531.j

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Good tips.  I never clean my razor, but if that were the problem wouldn’t my neck/face “break out” when I shave normally like I do the other 330 days of the year?

Never tried one.   I use a Mach 5 or something.  Try to change the blade every couple weeks or so.  Maybe I’ll give it a go.

Good question.  In my experience, I had the folliculitis on my neck, but not my face, and once I started sanitizing the razor blades, the problem on my neck went away.  

Also consider your skin not liking aftershave, beard oil or anything else you put on your face.  

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would guess the beard/stubble that is left under your chin is rubbing on the shaved neck spot and irritating it. Which would explain why it doesnt happen if you shave your entire face.

I think this might be the answer!  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Good question.  In my experience, I had the folliculitis on my neck, but not my face, and once I started sanitizing the razor blades, the problem on my neck went away.  

Also consider your skin not liking aftershave, beard oil or anything else you put on your face.  

I don’t use any aftershave.  I use the basic foam shaving cream and a light face lotion recommended by my dermatologist.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Perhaps the drier air during the winter months affects your skin. Try using an electric razor.

I have tried electric razors several times.  Not for me.  I just shaved my beard off.  It appears that there is a 1-2 week “phase” where my beard gets itchy as hell and my neck breaks out.  I don’t have time for that ***** right now.  Maybe next winter 😂 

Thanks for the advice, everyone…

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have tried electric razors several times.  Not for me.  I just shaved my beard off.  It appears that there is a 1-2 week “phase” where my beard gets itchy as hell and my neck breaks out.  I don’t have time for that ***** right now.  Maybe next winter 😂 

Thanks for the advice, everyone…

Electric sounded great until I tried it. It was OK for a quick refresh if we had a function in the evening, thats about it. 

During the winter I like to let my chest and back hair grow out. I’m like a cuddly bear! You know what they say - it’s all about LAYERS!  

Think Fitzy topless at a Bills game. It’s like a giant sweater underneath everything else!!!

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Electric sounded great until I tried it. It was OK for a quick refresh if we had a function in the evening, thats about it. 

During the winter I like to let my chest and back hair grow out. I’m like a cuddly bear! You know what they say - it’s all about LAYERS!  

Think Fitzy topless at a Bills game. It’s like a giant sweater underneath everything else!!!

Sounds like my uncle, Spider.  His chest hair looks like taco meat.

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

If the Bills lose this week, it's on you. 😉

I’ve only been growing it since last Wednesday 😂

Here’s a bad juju question though.  My wife got me these candles last year for Christmas.  There is Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley.  All season I’ve only been lighting the JA and Diggs candles.  Should I light the Beasley one this Saturday or no?  This is something that’s actually causing me anxiety 😆 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Going to “give it a go” with a safety razor on your jugular. Don’t die, man! 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don't use a harsh disinfectant or astringent.   Try using hydrocortisone on it.   Heard some Sundowner girls talking about using it to prevent razor rash.    Seemed to be working well.  

Or you might have developed a form of rosacea.   Happens to some with age and it can cause what seem like razor bumps that just linger under the skin.   Try shaving with gentle facial cleanser and get a rosacea gel or one of those "calming" creams like aveeno makes.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ve only been growing it since last Wednesday 😂

Here’s a bad juju question though.  My wife got me these candles last year for Christmas.  There is Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley.  All season I’ve only been lighting the JA and Diggs candles.  Should I light the Beasley one this Saturday or no?  This is something that’s actually causing me anxiety 😆 

Do you light them as part of a Sunday ritual? Do you light them pre-game or during the game?

These are important questions. It's all very technical.

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t use any aftershave.  I use the basic foam shaving cream and a light face lotion recommended by my dermatologist.

This is what I do, along with a sharp razor and never against the grain. Never had a problem.

I grew up in a frugal household so my dad  taught myself as a teenager to shave with just soap and a "one month" disposable razor every other day in the shower.  Saves time and never spent money on shaving lotion.  Haven't cut myself in a few years or so.  Also, all set if I go blind. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Do you light them as part of a Sunday ritual? Do you light them pre-game or during the game?

Yes.  My son lights them right before kickoff.  Definitely a game day ritual. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I grew up in a frugal household so my dad  taught myself as a teenager to shave with just soap and a "one month" disposable razor every other day in the shower.  Saves time and never spent money on shaving lotion.  Haven't cut myself in a few years or so.  Also, all set if I go blind. 

I use the cheap foam shaving cream, but disposable razors are rough.  Yikes!

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Use a women’s razor

21 hours ago, Bad Things said:

This is the way.  I do exactly the same thing as the poster where I only shave my neck below my jawline.  I use a safety razor and barbasol shaving cream and have never had a problem.  I love the safety razor and would never go back to anything else.  Its so much cheaper in long run and its a better, smoother shave.

• Like (+1) 1

Johnny, I'm guessing you may be changing the direction of your shaving strokes depending on if you have a beard or not.

I'm not sure every guy knows this, but hair grows out of your neck/face in various directions, it has a "grain."  And it changes from location to location on your face/neck.

You may have been shaving with grain (correctly) with no beard, but the beard forces you to go the opposite direction to clean up the edge, against the grain.  Going against the grain causes inflammation and bumps and problems, and you should be changing your direction of shaving all over your face depending on where you are to go with YOUR grain at that particular location.

Do you think any of this explains the situation?  It's kind of interesting!

23 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Use a women’s razor

How DARE you sir!!!  This is serious!

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Johnny, I'm guessing you may be changing the direction of your shaving strokes depending on if you have a beard or not.

I'm not sure every guy knows this, but hair grows out of your neck/face in various directions, it has a "grain."  And it changes from location to location on your face/neck.

You may have been shaving with grain (correctly) with no beard, but the beard forces you to go the opposite direction to clean up the edge, against the grain.  Going against the grain causes inflammation and bumps and problems, and you should be changing your direction of shaving all over your face depending on where you are to go with YOUR grain at that particular location.

Do you think any of this explains the situation?  It's kind of interesting!

Interesting thought.  I do shave with the grain.  My facial hair does grow in different “directions” on different areas of my face.  Neck is shave down.  Always has been.  Haven’t changed since I started growing my beard.  I shaved it off yesterday bc it just became annoying though.  I might try again and just let the neck portion grow out over the holiday break.

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes.  My son lights them right before kickoff.  Definitely a game day ritual. 

I use the cheap foam shaving cream, but disposable razors are rough.  Yikes!

I use Barbasol and Dollar Shave Club razors.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I tried Harry’s razors one time.  No bueno.  The old school foam is definitely the play.  I get the generic Walmart version though.  If you can find the menthol…bonus!

The DSC razors do well for me.  I get the middle of the line ones and haven't had any issues.  And I'm not good about changing them, either.  I just shaved yesterday after a couple weeks of growth.  Normally, I'd use the electric trimmer to get the stubble length down prior to using the razor.  I was in a hurry, so I didn't.  Handled it with no problems and no pulling.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.