Facial Hair Conundrum

Johnny Hammersticks

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I tried Harry’s razors one time.  No bueno.  The old school foam is definitely the play.  I get the generic Walmart version though.  If you can find the menthol…bonus!

Yeah... Because old school foam is getting the hair to stand up. It's most likely hair getting ingrown.  It's cut, then grows back under the skin.

You want the hair as straight as possible out before it's cut.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Because old school foam is getting the hair to stand up. It's most likely hair getting ingrown.  It's cut, then grows back under the skin.

You want the hair as straight as possible out before it's cut.

I use the foam, yeti.  What are you talking about? 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I use the foam, yeti.  What are you talking about? 😂 

Shaving soap, foam gets the hair to stand up. Have you tried an old-school shaving brush and soap mug? If you don't get the hair to stand up, straight out, it runs the risk of becoming ingrown. That's what causes the razor bumps.  Old school shave cream foam primary objective, I believe, is to do that. Same with working it in with a shaving brush.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Shaving soap, foam gets the hair to stand up. Have you tried an old-school shaving brush and soap mug? If you don't get the hair to stand up, straight out, it runs the risk of becoming ingrown. That's what causes the razor bumps.  Old school shave cream foam primary objective, I believe, is to do that. Same with working it in with a shaving brush.

I don’t have any problems when I shave my face fully.  I think the irritation on my neck when I try to grow a beard and trim around my jaw line if from the stubble rubbing against the freshly shaved skin on my neck.  It’s not ingrown hairs.  

The do those old timey shaves with the brush and whatnot at my barber shop.  I’ll have to give it a try sometime.  Looks relaxing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t have any problems when I shave my face fully.  I think the irritation on my neck when I try to grow a beard and trim around my jaw line if from the stubble rubbing against the freshly shaved skin on my neck.  It’s not ingrown hairs.  

The do those old timey shaves with the brush and whatnot at my barber shop.  I’ll have to give it a try sometime.  Looks relaxing.

If the barber has the hiccups, you should wait for another day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He'll be fine.  His barber is Michael J. Fox.

Funny story.  I spent 2 summers on Martha’s Vineyard working at a fancy tennis club called the West Chop Club. Bartending, waiting tables, maintenance, etc….  This was like 2002-2004.

There were several celebrities who were members, and we would see celebrities all over the island.  This one morning I went with a friend to the beer store to pick up our beer for the night.  All the employees were young, and all of the female servers were European and HOT.  It was great.

Anyway, we had about 4-5 cases of beer on the counter ready to pay, and we heard a familiar voice coming from behind us saying “I got that Bill.”  It was Michael J. Fox telling the store owner he wanted to pay for our booze.  We both shook his hand (which was very shaky) and thanked him profusely.  He shot the breeze with us for a few minutes.  Really cool guy.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Funny story.  I spent 2 summers on Martha’s Vineyard working at a fancy tennis club called the West Chop Club. Bartending, waiting tables, maintenance, etc….  This was like 2002-2004.

There were several celebrities who were members, and we would see celebrities all over the island.  This one morning I went with a friend to the beer store to pick up our beer for the night.  All the employees were young, and all of the female servers were European and HOT.  It was great.

Anyway, we had about 4-5 cases of beer on the counter ready to pay, and we heard a familiar voice coming from behind us saying “I got that Bill.”  It was Michael J. Fox telling the store owner he wanted to pay for our booze.  We both shook his hand (which was very shaky) and thanked him profusely.  He shot the breeze with us for a few minutes.  Really cool guy.

That is AWESOME!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'm gobsmacked that so many of you still waste time dragging honed steel over your faces when you can just run an electric around for 30 seconds each morning.

Gobsmacked, I say!

Well, this is interesting ...

Gobsmacked

Similar to a lemon party, this sexual act involved older and younger people, however it is an elderly lady with largely saggy boobs that is getting her 'gobs smacked' by a younger male.

Much like a kitten plays with a yarn of wool, batting it around in fascination, the young male smacks the old bat's boobs however he likes
It is also when an old lady wants to get a bit frisky and use her saggy boobs to smack a young male's gob or other parts of his body.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Gobsmacked

Similar to a lemon party, this sexual act involved older and younger people, however it is an elderly lady with largely saggy boobs that is getting her 'gobs smacked' by a younger male.

Much like a kitten plays with a yarn of wool, batting it around in fascination, the young male smacks the old bat's boobs however he likes
It is also when an old lady wants to get a bit frisky and use her saggy boobs to smack a young male's gob or other parts of his body.

You missed the part where the electric razor is involved.

Now get off 4chan you freak!

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm gobsmacked that so many of you still waste time dragging honed steel over your faces when you can just run an electric around for 30 seconds each morning.

Gobsmacked, I say!

I went electric in my late 20s (kinda like Bob Dylan 😉 ) and was happy with it for several years. Then one day we lost power as I was getting ready for work, so I used soapy water and a Mach 4 that Schick sent me as a free sample. I was amazed at how much of a closer shave I got. I think my beard must have gotten heavier as I got older (or the hair on my head migrated south). 

When I shaved with an electric, I'd get five o'clock shadow around noon, thanks to Sicilian ancestry. Once I went to a blade, I was smooth all day. These days, I keep a full beard year-round, shaving the neck (because neck beards are itchy) and the upper cheeks (so I don't look like an ape.) A few years ago, I got tired of the "helplessly going bald" look and shaved my head.

When I started shaving my head, I wanted a razor that pivoted in two dimensions, so I got a Gillette Fusion. I can get 4-6 months from a blade, shaving daily. I use this stuff called "Beer Soap," which is touted as a "shower/shave/shampoo" bar. It works great for all three. I don't do anything special to the blade - just let it air-dry after using it.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

Gobsmacked

The More You Know GIF by ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Use a women’s razor

Oh, side story.  Was in Target last week with the wife, she needed more replacement razors.  They had a 4-pack and "Value" 6-pack of the brand she was getting.  The 6 pack was more expensive when you broke down the cost per razor. It was about 15 cents more per razor than the smaller package. 

On 12/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, Gugny said:

Gobsmacked

I don't know what's happening here.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:08 PM, Gugny said:

Gobsmacked

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.