I’m kind of Over the Hines Experiment

EmotionallyUnstable

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Idk about ya’ll but I was excited about the additional of Nyheim Hines.

It seems they’ve slowly, and finally started to work him into the game plan. He was heavily involved early, and then McKenzie started to take over those snaps.

It seemed like every sweep, handoff, or target was sniffed out, or went no where. I wonder if there was some sort of formation tell, or they keyed into him based on personnel or usage, but it just flat out stunk.

I’m not a huge McKenzie guy, but age again had a solid game. 

Im kind of over this trade. Let him return kicks and get touches here and there, and revisit this in the off-season.

Singletary is my guy. Let’s let him and Cook take it the rest of the way. 

Wait a minute. Let’s see if we can get the incomparable Moss back!

Hynes is a weapon.  He's sure handed on returns and has speed to burn in the passing game. It's up to Dorsey to utilize those skills. Singletary drops screens and fails to outrun the second level. Love him as a runner, but Hynes has other skills that can help open up the offense.

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Hynes a weapon.  He's sure handed on returns and has speed to burn in the passing game. It's up to Dorsey to utilize those skills. Singletary drops screens and fails to outrun the second level. Love him as a runner, but Hynes has other skills that can help open up the offense.

I think his skills will be showcased when it really matters. Right now, the Bills seem to be happy with just using him in the return game. I might add he's very good, steady, and reliable. Huge upgrade there and worth the pick up alone on special teams. No doubt Cook emerging might derail Hines' playing time. That's not a bad thing. I'm thinking Hines will be used more in the passing game come playoff time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Even if he was JUST a quality, dependable kick and punt returner and 4 phase special teams player, he'd have been a good acquisition based on how little the Bills gave up to get him.

The fact that he has started to be involved in multi-RB packages on offense and is acting as pre-snap motion/eye candy and outlet receiver option for Josh on RPOs is a bonus. And there's also the matter of that little thing called depth. If Singletary or Cook have to miss a few snaps or a few games, I'll feel MUCH better knowing we have Hines in the fold.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Leave Hines as kick returner. These sweeps and screens are pitiful.

More importantly, Cook is developing into the lead back. Very encouraged on that front.

Do you think Hines is the reason the sweeps and screens were pitiful?  

Putting him in motion is one of the reasons he had so much success running up the middle.  

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Idk about ya’ll but I was excited about the additional of Nyheim Hines.

It seems they’ve slowly, and finally started to work him into the game plan. He was heavily involved early, and then McKenzie started to take over those snaps.

It seemed like every sweep, handoff, or target was sniffed out, or went no where. I wonder if there was some sort of formation tell, or they keyed into him based on personnel or usage, but it just flat out stunk.

I’m not a huge McKenzie guy, but age again had a solid game. 

Im kind of over this trade. Let him return kicks and get touches here and there, and revisit this in the off-season.

Singletary is my guy. Let’s let him and Cook take it the rest of the way. 

Experiment?   Over the trade? 

What were you expecting?  The next Thurman Thomas?    He is a role player, and his role right now is KR/PR/spot RB.  

12 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The sweep from the 8 was stillborn from the snap.  Very poor play design leaves the Cheats best defensive player, Judon, unblocked, for an easy 3 yard TFL.  Dorsey didn't do Hines any favors.

Maybe look into the concept the Bills were running before making statements like this?

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

You can't have an experiment when you've done literally 0 testing or analysis. What are you even talking about? He hasn't played.

@Logic post in postgame thread-

Thought this was really interesting, from Joe Buscaglia's Athletic article today (paywall):

https://theathletic.com/3960194/2022/12/02/bills-patriots-result-thursday-night-football/

"The Cook and Hines package returns with a vengeance

Against the Browns in Week 11, the Bills flashed a personnel package including both Cook and Nyheim Hines as a means to put pressure on the defense in different ways. They did it on a handful of snaps, but it wasn’t a heavy piece of their game plan. Then against the Lions in Week 12, the Bills mostly went away from that personnel grouping, and Hines himself as the back had only four snaps total.

But offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey may have been keeping it in his back pocket for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time. Considering the Bills only averaged 4.6 yards per play on their other 60 plays, that Cook and Hines group gave them a major edge as it was sprinkled in throughout the game."

On top of things as always Bull!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Maybe look into the concept the Bills were running before making statements like this?

Dude, I saw it with my own eyes.  The play design did not account at all for where Judon lined up.  There were no blockers anywhere remotely near him.  I guess it's possible that an OL ***** up badly, but I didn't see that.  Judon went straight to Hines and stopped him in his tracks.  The only other explanation is that Josh ***** up by not calling an audible against a defense that was going to destroy that play.  

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

Even if he was JUST acquired so we don’t have to see Zack Moss again, he'd have been a good acquisition based on how little the Bills gave up to get him.

The fact that he has started to be involved in multi-RB packages on offense and is acting as pre-snap motion/eye candy and outlet receiver option for Josh on RPOs is a bonus. And there's also the matter of that little thing called depth. If Singletary or Cook have to miss a few snaps or a few games, I'll feel MUCH better knowing we have Hines in the fold.

Fixed this for ya buddy.  Even if he was inactive every game, he was worth trading for to send Moss into exile

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dude, I saw it with my own eyes.  The play design did not account at all for where Judon lined up.  There were no blockers anywhere remotely near him.  I guess it's possible that an OL ***** up badly, but I didn't see that.  Judon went straight to Hines and stopped him in his tracks.  The only other explanation is that Josh ***** up by not calling an audible against a defense that was going to destroy that play.  

Again, understand the concept and then it'll help you understand what you are seeing.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.