I’m kind of Over the Hines Experiment

EmotionallyUnstable

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He dropped two last night. He has, otherwise, been better as a pass catcher recently. But man he has some stupid concentration drops. 

I am no Singletary apologist. I don't think he is a RB#1. Never have. But he may be the best RB#2 in the league outside of Tony Pollard.

Problem is he is the Bills #1 RB. But he has been a much better receiver than anyone thought.

Recency bias is strong here.

Singletary is a solid receiving back.

Receiving catch percentage:

2019: 70.7%

2020: 76.0%

2021: 83.6%

2022: 73.8%

Not seeing 'stone hands' anywhere TBH.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Idk about ya’ll but I was excited about the additional of Nyheim Hines.

It seems they’ve slowly, and finally started to work him into the game plan. He was heavily involved early, and then McKenzie started to take over those snaps.

I don't think that's right (on the snaps).  McKenzie was on the field from the start.  He had 3 receptions in the first half, on the Bills 2nd TD drive.

But as for the being "over" the Hines "experiment", the problem isn't Hines - it's you (and other fans of similar viewpoint).  Fans here had unrealistic expectations, as though Hines were some kind of budget CMC who should have had the coaches working overtime to carve out a prominent role in the game plan for him immediately.

8 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Im kind of over this trade. Let him return kicks and get touches here and there, and revisit this in the off-season.

Yes, exactly, now you get it.

Hines has shown he was a savvy acquisition for Moss and a 6th round pick, by taking over the PR and KR duties and making punts to us much calmer.  Shakir was a big adventure, and with Crowder on IR the depth chart at PR was Shakir and then who?

He's opened an aspect of the playbook, where Dorsey is now running 2 back sets with Hines and Cook.  I'm sure that week by week, they'll improve play designs and figure out more ways to work him in.  He's competition as the pass catching RB, and he's depth at RB and slot.

You should not be "over" the trade, and Hines contributions will likely continue to grow, but you should ask yourself why you expected more from a guy who was  the #4 RB and #5 WR on the Ponys list.  If people were carrying on as though he were the second coming of Thurman Thomas and are now disappointed that he's making significant but not amazeballs contributions, that's really their problem, not a flaw in the trade.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I am no Singletary apologist. I don't think he is a RB#1. Never have. But he may be the best RB#2 in the league outside of Tony Pollard.

Problem is he is the Bills #1 RB. But he has been a much better receiver than anyone thought.

Recency bias is strong here.

Singletary is a solid receiving back.

Receiving catch percentage:

2019: 70.7%

2020: 76.0%

2021: 83.6%

2022: 73.8%

Not seeing 'stone hands' anywhere TBH.

Meh. He drops too many simple catches. He was better last year, so not surprised the numbers confirm that.

I told you guys Hines wasn't a good RB and I also made the bold prediction that Moss was going to have more rushing yards this season and I got about 10 eye rolls and X's in one of my most unpopular posts which says a lot because I'm usually on the opposite side of whatever the popular opinion is on this board.

Moss - 4 carries for 13 yards

Hines - 4 carries for -8 yards

• Like (+1) 1

The two Hines runs last night were so poorly executed.  The guy is actually fast but as soon as he took the handoff left, Patriots guys were already there waiting for him.  Dorsey has to scheme some passes to him in space.  They did it with Cook a couple times.  Those runs to the left were awful.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

The Athletic article post game by Joe Buscaglia goes in depth on Hines and Cook.  Excerpt below:

“3. The Cook and Hines package returns with a vengeance

Against the Browns in Week 11, the Bills flashed a personnel package including both Cook and Nyheim Hinesas a means to put pressure on the defense in different ways. They did it on a handful of snaps, but it wasn’t a heavy piece of their game plan. Then against the Lions in Week 12, the Bills mostly went away from that personnel grouping, and Hines himself as the back had only four snaps total. But offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey may have been keeping it in his back pocket for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time. Considering the Bills only averaged 4.6 yards per play on their other 60 plays, that Cook and Hines group gave them a major edge as it was sprinkled in throughout the game.“

As other posters have said, it’s about matchups!!  Hines was a great add!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It seems they’ve slowly, and finally started to work him into the game plan. He was heavily involved early, and then McKenzie started to take over those snaps.

It seemed like every sweep, handoff, or target was sniffed out, or went no where. I wonder if there was some sort of formation tell, or they keyed into him based on personnel or usage, but it just flat out stunk.

I’m not a huge McKenzie guy, but age again had a solid game. 

Im kind of over this trade. Let him return kicks and get touches here and there, and revisit this in the off-season.

Singletary is my guy. Let’s let him and Cook take it the rest of the way. 

i’m kinda over everything you say here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

I think one of the things that makes Hines continue to feel intriguing is that Cook still really hasn't looked like a good ballcarrier yet.

He's a better passcatcher than Motor but unless he has a gaping hole even front of him, he cant get into the second level.

Hines is probably even a better ballcatcher than Cook and if he can run into the 4 and 6 hole he might be a better option than the rookie right now

Fair enough, but they don't usually run guys much in both STs and offense. It's usually one or the other with maybe a dabble here or there on the other.

Perhaps they might take him off STs, or perhaps he'll be an exception to their trend. I personally wouldn't bet on it, though.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Just wait until we play a good defense in the divisional round at high mark stadium. We will be throwing him screens left and right. He is our secret weapon 

We can not run a screen play to save our lives hahaha

Honestly, I don´t know why but we seem to be the only team in the league that can´t run a screen. Is it Allen? Is it our OL? Maybe our backs? Don´t know but JIZZZZ!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It seemed like every sweep, handoff, or target was sniffed out, or went no where. I wonder if there was some sort of formation tell, or they keyed into him based on personnel or usage, but it just flat out stunk.

I’m not a huge McKenzie guy, but age again had a solid game. 

Singletary is my guy. Let’s let him and Cook take it the rest of the way. 

He has speed but doesnt attack the hole.  Punt returner nothing more.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Antonio said:

We can not run a screen play to save our lives hahaha

Honestly, I don´t know why but we seem to be the only team in the league that can´t run a screen. Is it Allen? Is it our OL? Maybe our backs? Don´t know but JIZZZZ!

Most of our opponents defensive ends are trying to prevent scrambling (depending on if they're containing, spying etc.).  When you aren't pushing as far up field, its harder to drop a screen in behind them.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.