I’m kind of Over the Hines Experiment

EmotionallyUnstable

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

You can't have an experiment when you've done literally 0 testing or analysis. What are you even talking about? He hasn't played.

4, 6, 10, 4 and 23 snaps in his 5 games.  Beautiful 21 yd catch last night.

13 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, understand the concept and then it'll help you understand what you are seeing.

Any chance you could offer a bit of an explanation for those of us in the back of the class?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not.

For starters, I love his return game.  He has broken some long ones, and more importantly, I trust him w/ ball security.

They have used him so sparsely on offense that there is no way to gauge him there yet. The plays that he has had looked poorly designed, imo - or poorly executed.  The blocks simply haven't been there to allow him to show what he can do.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Any chance you could offer a bit of an explanation for those of us in the back of the class?

Sure. It was Q Counter Read. The read on this can change based on how they are teaching the concept, but the end to the sweep side is going to be unblocked either way. I don't have a replay of that exact play, but they ran the same concept at 2:14 in this highlight clip.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For the OP, who is "kind of over the Hines experiment", The Athletic reminds us as football is about all eleven performing together:

The Cook and Hines package returns with a vengeance

...offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey may have been keeping it in his back pocket for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time. Considering the Bills only averaged 4.6 yards per play on their other 60 plays, that Cook and Hines group gave them a major edge as it was sprinkled in throughout the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

@Logic post in postgame thread-

Thought this was really interesting, from Joe Buscaglia's Athletic article today (paywall):

https://theathletic.com/3960194/2022/12/02/bills-patriots-result-thursday-night-football/

"The Cook and Hines package returns with a vengeance

Against the Browns in Week 11, the Bills flashed a personnel package including both Cook and Nyheim Hines as a means to put pressure on the defense in different ways. They did it on a handful of snaps, but it wasn’t a heavy piece of their game plan. Then against the Lions in Week 12, the Bills mostly went away from that personnel grouping, and Hines himself as the back had only four snaps total.

But offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey may have been keeping it in his back pocket for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time. Considering the Bills only averaged 4.6 yards per play on their other 60 plays, that Cook and Hines group gave them a major edge as it was sprinkled in throughout the game."

On top of things as always Bull!

thanks for backing me up?

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

exactly. was nice to see him finally get some minor involvement

Hines being on the field completely changes the defensive look, as they need to account for his speed, especially when him and Cooks in the backfield together. Dorsey tried to set the pats up w the motion looks w the counter but the pats didn’t bite, the ends stayed at home. Hines can be a weapon they just need to figure out how best to use him, and he’s a huge upgrade in the return game which is reason enough to have him over Moss.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

For the OP, who is "kind of over the Hines experiment", The Athletic reminds us as football is about all eleven performing together:

...offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey may have been keeping it in his back pocket for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time. Considering the Bills only averaged 4.6 yards per play on their other 60 plays, that Cook and Hines group gave them a major edge as it was sprinkled in throughout the game.

Speed kills.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, understand the concept and then it'll help you understand what you are seeing.

You and posters like you make this board a worse place.  Instead of offering your opinion so we can have a discussion, you condescend not once, but twice, telling me I don't understand.   But you can't be bothered to explain yourself, you just question my intelligence ad hominem.  I told you what I saw twice, but you won't even explain your point of view once.  Go away, troll.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Averages are not a basis.  They were used different times in different situations/

Nonsense. A running back is judged by their yards per carry, catches (yards per catch), fumbles and blocking ability. The situation is meaningless unless its pre-season.

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You and posters like you make this board a worse place.  Instead of offering your opinion so we can have a discussion, you condescend not once, but twice, telling me I don't understand.   But you can't be bothered to explain yourself, you just question my intelligence ad hominem.  I told you what I saw twice, but you won't even explain your point of view once.  Go away, troll.

Sorry, it gets old correcting people who don't understand what they are looking at, but want to make outlandish statements.

I saw a few plays where Hines was used as a decoy on a jet sweeps. In those plays, the linebacker paused on his pursuit and opened a running lane for or RB’s. That tells me that the Patriots were worried about his potential and prepared as such. I hardly count Hines as a waste and he played a roll in the success of our offense last night. Not to mention his reliability catching punts. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/1/2022 at 11:52 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Idk about ya’ll but I was excited about the additional of Nyheim Hines.

It seems they’ve slowly, and finally started to work him into the game plan. He was heavily involved early, and then McKenzie started to take over those snaps.

It seemed like every sweep, handoff, or target was sniffed out, or went no where. I wonder if there was some sort of formation tell, or they keyed into him based on personnel or usage, but it just flat out stunk.

I’m not a huge McKenzie guy, but age again had a solid game. 

Im kind of over this trade. Let him return kicks and get touches here and there, and revisit this in the off-season.

Singletary is my guy. Let’s let him and Cook take it the rest of the way. 

That’s the fault of the scheme/play calling…not Hines. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:05 PM, Warcodered said:

The one time he caught the ball on the sort of play everyone thought he'd be doing he did exactly what he was brought here to and got some quick yards. Those sweeps they were ready for and never had a shot.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

The sweep from the 8 was stillborn from the snap.  Very poor play design leaves the Cheats best defensive player, Judon, unblocked, for an easy 3 yard TFL.  Dorsey didn't do Hines any favors.

Agreed. I remember when McKenzie first arrived here. A lot of his early touches were on plays that were easy reads for the defense with predictable results. It took a while for Daboll to figure out how to use him. I think that by the end of the regular season Dorsey will find ways to get Hines into space, and I'm looking forward to seeing that. He is a McKenzie type, but with more flat-out open field speed.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, RochesterLifer said:

That's such good actual analysis that I might have to give in and actually subscribe to The Athletic.

Unless of course you just keep digesting the best parts for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.