Nyheim Hines: Why did we bother trading for him?

EasternOHBillsFan

We acquired Nyheim Hines two weeks ago and it was universally praised as a great addition to our team because of his experience and ability. Yet, here we are two games in and he has just TWO TOTAL TARGETS!!!

Meanwhile, the 49ers acquire Christian McCaffery from the Panthers and he has made an IMMEDIATE impact. They actually *gulp* GET HIM TOUCHES AND UTILIZE HIM ON OFFENSE!!!

I feel as if this is an utter failure by the Bills to take advantage of the skills of a player that they obviously coveted as Beane said in an interview that he had wanted him in Buffalo before. I do not know if it is McDermott or Dorsey, but someone has to answer for what I feel is a criminal underuse of a talent we so badly need. Two targets through two games is pathetic!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Cuz it was an upgrade over Moss

And if Singletary went down it was the moss show. Hines is a late season insurance policy and just another weapon you have to account for even if it's a few snaps. Not to mention bills have been uncommonly lucky with injuries at RB (knock on wood). 

Edited by Norcalbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Same reason we signed a washed up Sanders to fill our need at WR last year.

Beane has this thing where he likes a guy and will spend years trying to aquire him, even after it stops making sense.

The trade for Hines is a big head scratcher.

We don't run the ball. 

We are probably the worst screen team in the NFL. 

We have a very uncreative offense that will not take advantage of gadget guys like Hines. 

We just drafted Cook. And have Duke Johnson.

We are obviously not paying Hines $5M next year. So we traded for a one year rental punt returner. We didn't give up much so whatever, but it was such an odd move. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Norcalbillsfan said:

And if Singletary went down it was the moss show. Hines is a late season insurance policy and just another weapon you have to account for even if it's a few snaps.

One a game isn't going to cut it. Cook I get because he's a rook and he needs development, but ***** Hines has to be plug and play by now.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We acquired Nyheim Hines two weeks ago and it was universally praised as a great addition to our team because of his experience and ability. Yet, here we are two games in and he has just TWO TOTAL TARGETS!!!

Meanwhile, the 49ers acquire Christian McCaffery from the Panthers and he has made an IMMEDIATE impact. They actually *gulp* GET HIM TOUCHES AND UTILIZE HIM ON OFFENSE!!!

I feel as if this is an utter failure by the Bills to take advantage of the skills of a player that they obviously coveted as Beane said in an interview that he had wanted him in Buffalo before. I do not know if it is McDermott or Dorsey, but someone has to answer for what I feel is a criminal underuse of a talent we so badly need. Two targets through two games is pathetic!

Beane traded for him on the cheap,  could have traded for Gibson/Jacobs but did not want to take away starting role from Singletary. Two trades were essentially made to say he made some moves. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

He's more of a weapon in the passing game, and only just got the play book last week and didn't have Josh to throw to him to get in sync in practice this week.

Fair point on the being in sync for sure, but he could get at least some work in.

6 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

And I have him on my fantasy team and had to start him today because of byes. FU Beane and Dorsey!!!

Wasting this very good players skills is just another stupid decision by these knucklehead coaches. They're smart enough to acquire him yet terrified to believe in them. Hines over McK, Marlowe over Lewis, Shakir anytime?.....makes no sense.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Apparently our offense is highly difficult to learn. That’s why we are also waiting on Cook to make an impactful game. And this is straight from McD according to the broadcast today. They are waiting for him to completely learn the offense so they can trust him and have him more integrated into the offense. 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's more of a weapon in the passing game, and only just got the play book last week and didn't have Josh to throw to him to get in sync in practice this week.

I don’t buy this excuse. 

TJ Hockenson played 4 days after being traded and is a difference maker for Minnesota already. 

The Bills just don’t/won’t use Hines. It’s a bad trade. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Apparently our offense is highly difficult to learn. That’s why we are also waiting on Cook to make an impactful game. And this is straight from McD according to the broadcast today. They are waiting for him to completely learn the offense so they can trust him and have him more integrated into the offense. 

I'd really like to hear why it's so difficult. It seems like Dorsey just says "everyone go deep" and then Allen runs around until he finds someone to throw to.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

I'd really like to hear why it's so difficult. It seems like Dorsey just says "everyone go deep" and then Allen runs around until he finds someone to throw to.

Look at the replay of the last play.  

At least 3 guys all in the end zone running posts or a crosser.  

Absolutely embarrassing 

And enough of the shotgun runs - unless we’re ready to unleash Josh - which I feel like we’re going to have to do more of.

Because this coaching staff slow plays everything, often to the detriment of the team. They slow play injuries, rookie playing time, obvious necessary roster changes, etc. It took them a whole season and a half of Zack Moss clumsily running into his lineman's butt before they recognized that he isn't a viable player. They've given Shakir very little playing time despite obviously being more dependable than McKenzie. Currently they're limiting Cook's snaps in favor of Singletary even though it has become obvious over the last two weeks that he gives our offense more juice.

And yes the latest slow play is keeping Hines out of the offense, even though it is obvious that we need more speed out of our backfield. This is presumably because... they don't think he knows the playbook well enough yet? That's the only possible reason I can imagine, and personally I think it's stupid. Every other top offense has someone that can catch the ball 5 yards past the LOS and turn it into a 20+ yard gain. That element of our offense has never been a thing in the Josh Allen era, so Beane goes and gets that element and the coaches refuse to use him. Really frustrating.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.