TNF Eagles @ Houston

Steptide

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Had 2 10 sack seasons in 2013 and 2014.  Might be scheme and who he’s playing next to have some impact

Those were almost 10 years ago and Mario Williams was with us both of those years. After Mario left, he struggles getting 5 sacks a season most times

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

11 rushing TDs in 3.5 seasons is incredibly weak. He's fine... just doesn't give us anything extra. And obviously Moss is terrible.

Agreed on Moss.  Singletary may not exactly have a nose for the end zone but if he wasn't playing with Allen the epic TD vulture he'd have quite a few more than 11.  4.7 YPC over 4 seasons is not too shabby.  He's a plus member of the team, though granted not plus plus.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think asking why he's better this year than he has been in at least the last 5 or 6 years with us is a valid question. Sorry, I don't have a hard on for him like you and the other guy do

Valid question, although it may be a flawed one. “Better” in what regard? Is he playing more snaps? Is he being asked to do the same roles he was in BUF. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him drop in coverage tonight as he has for years on occasion with the Bills. I don’t have the answer to those questions but I’m not going to be blind to other factors and assume an inflated sack total means he is playing better football. I’m not interested in having that conversation or figuring it out. Instead, I’ll just choose to respect his body of work over a decade in this city and with the team. 

And if you can’t get a hard on, they make a pill for that

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Agreed on Moss.  Singletary may not exactly have a nose for the end zone but if he wasn't playing with Allen the epic TD vulture he'd have quite a few more than 11.  4.7 YPC over 4 seasons is not too shabby.  He's a plus member of the team, though granted not plus plus.

We did try and get one for both Singeltary and Cook after the drives they really drove us down field on.

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

he is also being used a tad more as a pass catcher. Singletary is adequate for the Bills offense but I like that Hines brings the dual catch/run threat to complement him

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Those were almost 10 years ago and Mario Williams was with us both of those years. After Mario left, he struggles getting 5 sacks a season most times

I mean, you’re asking a valid question about why Hughes is better this year, but you seem to be running over any explanations anyone offers.  Scheme and who he’s playing next to would cover playing next to Mario Williams and playing in Pettine and Schwartz scheme.  I think we can rule out age, since he’s having a great season 10 years later.  So the other explanation offered was “fire lit under his ass by being cut”

Those all seem like reasonable answers to a reasonable question, but they don’t seem to satisfy you.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

4.7 YPC over 4 seasons is not too shabby. 

It isn't, but it's easier for him because defenses are game planning around Allen's arm and conceding RB production. As much as fans are going to hate it we're going to have to draft a RB somewhat early next year. Singletary is gone in the offseason and we have no one else to be an every down back. It's frustrating that other teams find plus RBs between rounds 2 and 5 all the time, but we have come up empty.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Valid question, although it may be a flawed one. “Better” in what regard? Is he playing more snaps? Is he being asked to do the same roles he was in BUF. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him drop in coverage tonight as he has for years on occasion with the Bills. I don’t have the answer to those questions but I’m not going to be blind to other factors and assume an inflated sack total means he is playing better football. I’m not interested in having that conversation or figuring it out. Instead, I’ll just choose to respect his body of work over a decade in this city and with the team. 

And if you can’t get a hard on, they make a pill for that

I can get a hard on. But I don't get it over a decade long mediocre player for our team that is all of a sudden having his best season since playing with Mario Williams. Do you honestly think if he played the way he's playing now that we would have released him? I'd be willing to bet of he was even a consistent 8 or 9 sack a year guy, we would have kept him to complement Von. We chose not to resign him and got Von because he did nothing for years. Von Miller is on pace to get more sacks in one season with us than Jerry got his last 3 seasons

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't, but it's easier for him because defenses are game planning around Allen's arm and conceding RB production. As much as fans are going to hate it we're going to have to draft a RB somewhat early next year. Singletary is gone in the offseason and we have no one else to be an every down back. It's frustrating that other teams find plus RBs between rounds 2 and 5 all the time, but we have come up empty.

Maybe pick up a FA, we seem to suck at drafting RB.

Mills is terrible. I'm watching the all-22 broadcast on Prime and I saw about three routes get open downfield on the play that he just tucked and ran up the middle. He's hesitating on even simple sideline throws.

1 minute ago, Flucod said:

Maybe pick up a FA, we seem to suck at drafting RB.

I would happily pay Josh Jacobs and put the problem behind us once and for all, but I doubt our cap constraints will make that possible.

Edited by HappyDays

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, you’re asking a valid question about why Hughes is better this year, but you seem to be running over any explanations anyone offers.  Scheme and who he’s playing next to would cover playing next to Mario Williams and playing in Pettine and Schwartz scheme.  I think we can rule out age, since he’s having a great season 10 years later.  So the other explanation offered was “fire lit under his ass by being cut”

Those all seem like reasonable answers to a reasonable question, but they don’t seem to satisfy you.

It's a valid question to ask is all I'm saying

Just now, HappyDays said:

I feel like Motor is a Schrodinger's RB.  He might be a complete JAG who gets scraps of yards because defenses focus on Josh or he might be really good but playing in an offense that has no reason to feature a RB of any kind because we have the ultimate weapon.

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I can get a hard on. But I don't get it over a decade long mediocre player for our team that is all of a sudden having his best season since playing with Mario Williams. Do you honestly think if he played the way he's playing now that we would have released him? I'd be willing to bet of he was even a consistent 8 or 9 sack a year guy, we would have kept him to complement Von. We chose not to resign him and got Von because he did nothing for years. Von Miller is on pace to get more sacks in one season with us than Jerry got his last 3 seasons

He wasn’t released. His contract ended. They chose not to re-sign him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.