TNF Eagles @ Houston

Steptide

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I feel like Motor is a Schrodinger's RB.  He might be a complete JAG who gets scraps of yards because defenses focus on Josh or he might be really good but playing in an offense that has no reason to feature a RB of any kind because we have the ultimate weapon.

I am pretty excited to see what Hines does on our offense. If he can line up in the slot and move to RB during pre snap he possibly can be a great pick up. Wish we would use Gilliam more, that guy balls out every time he is on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He wasn’t released. His contract ended. They chose not to re-sign him. 

I know that. I corrected myself later in that comment by saying he wasn't resigned but to me if you're contract isn't renewed, there really isn't much difference. The Team still chose to move on

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

I know that. I corrected myself later in that comment by saying he wasn't resigned but to me if you're contract isn't renewed, there really isn't much difference. The Team still chose to move on

It may have something to do with the fact they drafted a 1st round DE, and two 2nd Rd DEs, and Beane STILL wanted to get better up front. So what do you do? You sign the best pass rusher in football for 20 million dollars. Hughes is making 5 mil this year. With an investment like that in Miller, there was no chance they’re going to keep Hughes around. There isn’t any room at the position and not enough coin or assets left to invest in that spot 

It may have something to do with the fact they drafted a 1st round DE, and two 2nd Rd DEs, and Beane STILL wanted to get better up front. So what do you do? You sign the best pass rusher in football for 20 million dollars. Hughes is making 5 mil this year. With an investment like that in Miller, there was no chance they’re going to keep Hughes around. There isn’t any room at the position and not enough coin or assets left to invest in that spot 

He was still mediocre with us. Nothing more. That can't be denied. That's proof

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He wasn’t released. His contract ended. They chose not to re-sign him. 

Also he's playing close to home and maybe it's given him a little extra enjoyment as he's likely got lot of family and friends cheering him on.  When you are having fun playing its not unusual to be playing better.    

There's also much lower pressure playing for the Texans than current Bills.  As for whether the Bills

Would have re-signed Hughes I'd say possibly but it would have been for more team friendly rates.  The Bills respected Hughes enough to let him earn a paycheck if there was one which there was as he signed with Texans as did Addison was it?  

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't, but it's easier for him because defenses are game planning around Allen's arm and conceding RB production. As much as fans are going to hate it we're going to have to draft a RB somewhat early next year. Singletary is gone in the offseason and we have no one else to be an every down back. It's frustrating that other teams find plus RBs between rounds 2 and 5 all the time, but we have come up empty.

Agreed, bite the bullet and be done with it. I don't think Cook has the frame to be a true running back.

A 3rd down back that we can use on all downs, but I just can't see him handling 12-15 carries a game over a season. Am I wrong here? Doesn't seem like he was an every down back at Georgia either

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Also he's playing close to home and maybe it's given him a little extra enjoyment as he's likely got lot of family and friends cheering him on.  When you are having fun playing its not unusual to be playing better.    

There's also much lower pressure playing for the Texans than current Bills.  As for whether the Bills

Would have re-signed Hughes I'd say possibly but it would have been for more team friendly rates.  The Bills respected Hughes enough to let him earn a paycheck if there was one which there was as he signed with Texans as did Addison was it?  

Hughes contract is 5 mil a year with HOU. The Bills did bring in an extra DE in Lawson, but only for a little over 1 mil. There was room there but not at the right value. 

They wanted a HOF level talent at DE and paid handsomely for it. When that happens, there isn’t much wiggle room left for others. He would have had to take a major reduction in income, and he apparently wanted to be closer to home, as you suggest 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I can get a hard on. But I don't get it over a decade long mediocre player for our team that is all of a sudden having his best season since playing with Mario Williams. Do you honestly think if he played the way he's playing now that we would have released him? I'd be willing to bet of he was even a consistent 8 or 9 sack a year guy, we would have kept him to complement Von. We chose not to resign him and got Von because he did nothing for years. Von Miller is on pace to get more sacks in one season with us than Jerry got his last 3 seasons

It probably was an either-or not both situation.  We needed Hughes cap $$ to sign Von.    Miller has a low cap hit of $5.1M this season.  I think Hughes had a cap hit of $6.1M in 2021.   The Bills might have rather had Hughes than Shaq on a lowball contract, but he got more from the Texans.

Edited by Beck Water

As many suspect, Lovie is a 1 and done placeholder until their desired head coaching candidate can be located and aquired. At this point, they’ll draft their QB of the future, and restock. 

Seems like there was pressure to hire a black coach.

Also, criticism of black coaches being sacrificial lamb.

I don't care WHOOOO it is, but would like to see someone in that division be good.

Any chance they can lure Sean Peyton with a #1 pick?

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

As many suspect, Lovie is a 1 and done placeholder until their desired head coaching candidate can be located and aquired. At this point, they’ll draft their QB of the future, and restock. 

Can the Texans get away with that?  

There were a bunch of eyebrows raised when they fired Culley after one season, especially with the Flores-led issues about the treatment of Black coaches.

If they one-and-done Lovie, I would think it would reopen that.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Can the Texans get away with that?  

There were a bunch of eyebrows raised when they fired Culley after one season, especially with the Flores-led issues about the treatment of Black coaches.

If they one-and-done Lovie, I would think it would reopen that.

I mean, if they only win 1 game all year, hard to argue with that logic. He was the associate HC and defensive coordinator last year, and they still have a god-awful defense. 

im sure they would catch some flack for it, but they’d be justified in pointing to the results, even if he isn’t given a fair shake

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.