Saints WR Michael Thomas likely done for the year per HC Allen - toe surgery

Big Turk

Went from being a future HOF shoe-in to basically nothing in 2 years coinciding with an injury and then Brees retiring...

And my fantasy team took another blow with this...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Big Turk changed the title to Saints WR Michael Thomas likely done for the year per HC Allen - toe surgery

How do you dislocated a toe?

I was ready to come in here and trash him, but what can you do about foot injuries?  His whole game is predicated on precise route running.  Near impossible to do with a nagging foot injury.

Turf toe effectively ended Deion's career.  It's a real thing.  

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

How do you dislocated a toe?

I was ready to come in here and trash him, but what can you do about foot injuries?  His whole game is predicated on precise route running.  Near impossible to do with a nagging foot injury.

Turf toe effectively ended Deion's career.  It's a real thing.  

Not sure but I've had something similar although not even to the level of turf toe and it was excruciating to put any weight on it at all, let alone try to walk or God Forbid try and run, block and cut quickly off it...IMO, football players are some of the toughest human beings on the planet with what they play through regularly.  

48 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure but I've had something similar although not even to the level of turf toe and it was excruciating to put any weight on it at all, let alone try to walk or God Forbid try and run, block and cut quickly off it...IMO, football players are some of the toughest human beings on the planet with what they play through regularly.  

I believe fans lose the human element of football sometimes.  If I sprained an ankle I'd be useless for no less than a week and that's just walking around the house. These guys will be back to playing one of the most brutal sports on Earth on a few days rest.

13 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I believe fans lose the human element of football sometimes.  If I sprained an ankle I'd be useless for no less than a week and that's just walking around the house. These guys will be back to playing one of the most brutal sports on Earth on a few days rest.

Remember when Jairus Byrd sat out after being signed to the franchise tag with plantar fasciitis and we all laughed? About a year later I played a Sunday morning soccer game on a bone dry, rock hard, uneven, park field and the next day I woke up got out of bed and literally couldn't put my feet flat on the floor. I had plantar issues for about 6 months on the back of it and there would be days when walking was excruciating. I cannot imagine running around full speed on an NFL field with that injury. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Damn dude can't stay healthy to save his life.  What, like three or four games in three years???  He is immensely talented, but wondering if it might be time for him to think about hanging em up?

Just a thought 

Not as long as he's collecting a paycheck

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Remember when Jairus Byrd sat out after being signed to the franchise tag with plantar fasciitis and we all laughed? About a year later I played a Sunday morning soccer game on a bone dry, rock hard, uneven, park field and the next day I woke up got out of bed and literally couldn't put my feet flat on the floor. I had plantar issues for about 6 months on the back of it and there would be days when walking was excruciating. I cannot imagine running around full speed on an NFL field with that injury. 

I don't usually question injury issues for players. I know how hard it is to play injured. But the Michael Thomas situation the past two years is just strange. He basically missed most of 2020 with an ankle sprain. Misses 2021 after an ankle surgery (why didn't he have it done sooner if it was that bad? And why did it take a full year to come back from?). And again this year, he is injured and misses a bunch of weeks, then decides to get surgery, ensuring he'll miss the rest of the season.

So, he basically missed 3 seasons because of a sprained ankle and a dislocated toe. That's not normal, I don't think.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't usually question injury issues for players. I know how hard it is to play injured. But the Michael Thomas situation the past two years is just strange. He basically missed most of 2020 with an ankle sprain. Misses 2021 after an ankle surgery (why didn't he have it done sooner if it was that bad? And why did it take a full year to come back from?). And again this year, he is injured and misses a bunch of weeks, then decides to get surgery, ensuring he'll miss the rest of the season.

So, he basically missed 3 seasons because of a sprained ankle and a dislocated toe. That's not normal, I don't think.

I don't know what went on. It is definitely odd. 

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

I feel like once Brees was toast, then subsequently retired, Thomas just doesn't want to play for the Saints.  This kid was on track to be the best WR in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I feel like once Brees was toast, then subsequently retired, Thomas just doesn't want to play for the Saints.  This kid was on track to be the best WR in the NFL.

I think he WAS the best receiver in football in 2019. He was totally unguardable. Who knows what happened but when he got on the field this year he had 85 yards per game and 3 TDs... he can still play. Maybe it is psychological (sometimes when a guy like that gets hurt he can't get over it mentally and then every little nick feels much more than it is) or maybe he has just genuinely ben extremely unlucky. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he WAS the best receiver in football in 2019. He was totally unguardable. Who knows what happened but when he got on the field this year he had 85 yards per game and 3 TDs... he can still play. Maybe it is psychological (sometimes when a guy like that gets hurt he can't get over it mentally and then every little nick feels much more than it is) or maybe he has just genuinely ben extremely unlucky. 

Is he just another diva WR who only wants to play if his team is a legitimate contender?  I just found this article that makes it look like that be the case.

https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-they-tried-to-damage-your-reputation-you-saved-theirs-michael-thomas-embraces-the-diva-within-him-with-a-cryptic-tweet-blasting-new-orleans-saints/

Maybe he's taking too much advice from Uncle Keyshawn.

Just now, Gugny said:

Is he just another diva WR who only wants to play if his team is a legitimate contender?  I just found this article that makes it look like that be the case.

https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-they-tried-to-damage-your-reputation-you-saved-theirs-michael-thomas-embraces-the-diva-within-him-with-a-cryptic-tweet-blasting-new-orleans-saints/

Maybe he's taking too much advice from Uncle Keyshawn.

Maybe but that isn't what I think. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Maybe but that isn't what I think. 

The delayed surgery is the only thing that makes me go hmmmm.  But that was a couple years ago, so I don't know.  It's just sad, because he's such a talented receiver.

First 5 years in the league:

63 games 5,512 yards 32 TDs

Last 3 years:

10 games 609 yards 3 TDs

Basically missed 28 games (almost two full seasons) with an ankle injury. That is a bit unusual. Especially since throughout a good portion of that process the team kept saying he might be back soon and yet he never came back, until the start of this year. He wasn't placed on IR until 11/3 last year despite missing the first 8 games---and then he is placed on IR 11/3 this year (the same date) despite the injury happening back in week 3. So, I can understand people thinking he wants to get paid without having to play. I'm sure the toe injury is legit, but it certainly doesn't help this narrative.

I drafted him in the first round of a keeper league in 2020 (so my frustration with him is a bit biased).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.