Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the return thing is great because it should free up shakir for more offensive snaps at receiver. They seemed to not want to risk him on offense since he was the only punt returner left they trusted. 

I also think cook has been limited because they haven’t trusted his pass blocking, Hines should know his blocking assignments fairly quickly 

Hines is a decent punt returner now, but had a really good year in 2019 as a returner. Returned 2 for tds that year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It's not skewed because you want it to be. He wad on pace for 10 less carries this year vs last year. That's not skewed. His opportunities were on a decline before this year.

Wrong.

13 carries 18 targets last 7 games last year.

18 carries 28 targets first 7 games this year.

LOVE. THIS. MOVE.

Hines is one of the most athletic players in the league and was severely underutilized in Indianapolis.

He can make guys miss in a phone booth (to quote Rex Ryan when talking about McCoy) and he can pass catch as good as any RB.

He is going to quickly become a fan favorite.

Great move Beane.

PS, grab him in your fantasy football league if he is available - Allen and Hines are going to shine together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe he can be the 2020 version of cole Beasley on 3rd down?  Not necessarily out of the slot, but a guy 17 knows will get open and find the soft spot.  

could be a shell killer.  I really do love this move.  We gave up next to nothing for a rocket out of the back field 

• Like (+1) 5

Put me firmly in the "meh" column. More than anything I am just annoyed at our RB roster management. For such an A+ front office, we are so wonky here. 

2 x 3rds on Moss and Singletary
1x 2nd on Cook
Dislike Moss. Trade him for another and more expensive version of Cook, the guy we just spent a 2nd on 2 months ago. 

I am guessing we lean into Singletary the rest of the year and get away from the RB by committee. Which is fine and I actually like. But given our cap constraints for 2023 and the fact that we have 20+ players with expiring contracts, Singletary isn't likely in the plans. Which means we spend another top 100 pick on a RB behind an OL that struggles with run blocking. 

I think this is a fairly inconsequential move but I am really frustrated by it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Is he better than Moss, yes. But even in Indy his opportunities have been on the decline from 2020 to 2021 and from 2021 to 2022. Looks like he was demoted to #3 RB this year.

Part of that is because the Colts can't pass.

A lot of people here are grading this trade on the pieces moved, which would definitely be in our favor (Moss and a 6th for Hines is a no-brainer). However, Hines' contract means we'll be paying him $9 million over the next two years to be a 3rd down back while an unproven rookie will be our RB1. And that's assuming he doesn't get a new contract bump. 

Singletary has turned into a reliable and productive bell cow and I wouldn't have minded paying him $6 million a year especially if the Bills are willing to pay 75% of that to someone with 25% of his production. 

Also, I think people are delusional if they think that Cook was ever meant to be an RB1. He's just not built physically for that role. So now we're paying for a 3rd down back when we already drafted one and we'll still have to pay Singletary, or find a worse option for cheaper in FA, or draft another RB.

Still gonna root for him to do well obviously, but this move is near the bottom of our trade needs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

48 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...and gave up a 5th to get him.

For those keeping score

Singletary 3rd

Moss 3rd

Cook 2nd

Hines 5th or 6th

...and they will probably let SIngletary walk in the off-season.

Since we traded Moss and a 5th or 6th for Hines, it's more like this:

Singletary 3rd

Moss 3rd

Cook 2nd

Hines 5th or 6th, plus a 3rd

But I'm still okay with the trade.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Put me firmly in the "meh" column. More than anything I am just annoyed at our RB roster management. For such an A+ front office, we are so wonky here. 

2 x 3rds on Moss and Singletary
1x 2nd on Cook
Dislike Moss. Trade him for another and more expensive version of Cook, the guy we just spent a 2nd on 2 months ago. 

I am guessing we lean into Singletary the rest of the year and get away from the RB by committee. Which is fine and I actually like. But given our cap constraints for 2023 and the fact that we have 20+ players with expiring contracts, Singletary isn't likely in the plans. Which means we spend another top 100 pick on a RB behind an OL that struggles with run blocking. 

I think this is a fairly inconsequential move but I am really frustrated by it.

At least they move on when they realize they made a mistake.  Beats holding on for egos sake.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Perk71 said:

Doesn't sound like you loves some Bills. 😵💫😏 He is a pass catching RB, plus punt returner.  He's better at this point than Cook. Cook will definitely be good one day, but they are looking to win Superbowl this year. 

Go Bills!!

In what way is he better than Cook? Show me, don't tell me. He had one really good year as a punt returner(2019). Since then he's averaging 10 yards or less per return.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Is he better than Moss, yes. But even in Indy his opportunities have been on the decline from 2020 to 2021 and from 2021 to 2022. Looks like he was demoted to #3 RB this year.

Exactly. I'd refer you to Brieda as a comparable example. We all know how that worked out. I do think that Hines skill set is much better suited for the Bills offense. His speed certainly had to be respected and that can open up things for others. However, wasn't that Cook's role? It remains to be seen how effective Hines will be. Let's remember the guy is a career back up with speed. These type of running backs are vast. Look at Blackshear. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.