NFL Week 8: Packers at Bills - post game thread

BuffaloBill

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

In exchange for chewing up all the clock for zero return.  Almost 11 mins of clock in the third quarter for a return of 3 points while down 3 scores.  You dont win a football game that way.

That's only because they didn't execute on those drive ending plays. That doesn't change the fact a team with a poor receiving core right now was able to gouge our D for way too many big plays on the ground.

Edited by Billz4ever

So there's definitely a couple of things I like about this game:

I think first and foremost I like the fact that Buffalo tried to play their own game before adjusting and attacking the weakness of the Packers. What I mean by that is that the opening drive was a three and out, but that 3 and out happened because Buffalo attacked downfield and tried to get big plays even though the secondary is the strength of the defense. I always like when Buffalo plays like they're better than the other team and goes with their own strength and identity first before they adjust and attack the weakness.

The best takeaway is that Buffalo was able to win without Josh Allen really having to do much. They were able to use a running back attack to get down the field and that helped get them off to their great start.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

3 years ago this was a solid win. When you expect to be the AFC Super Bowl representative it was below what they’re capable of. They left a lot of plays out on the field and the execution was off in several key situations. 218 yards or whatever for Josh with 2 INTs is sub par for sure. 

Im ok with it if this is Allen's "bad game" and we still come away with a pretty easy W. 

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

McD acknowledged they didn't play their best ball tonight and didn't make it seem all rosie and rainbows, so I'm glad they realize they have some rust to knock off after the bye.  Time to clean that up and put them away.  The second half of this game should've been like the Pittsburgh game with a quick put them away and move on.

I think he hit a good balance of we expect to play better than that, but also winning is tough in this league so this was still good.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

that we dominated despite playing well below potential?

I don't disagree with that. The Bills were by far the superior team. This type of performance won't cut it against quality teams. Today we faced a Packer team.that is not very good and had many injuries as well. They fought hard and the Bills did not play well in the 2nd half. I'm happy with the win. I don't there is cause for alarm. What scares me is the Poyer injury. 

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The pack was never going to win this game and they knew it. It was kind of sad really. I expected more as I reluctantly predicted a GB win but I gave them too much credit.

No, I'm sure the Pack knew they weren't going to win, but to give up those kind of chunks of yards on the ground against a team that thinks they can play nickel D and still stop the run, that was not a good showing.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The Packers didn't really have to do anything to stay in the game though. We allowed them to hang around.

Being down 3 scores until 3:33 in the 4th quarter and then down two scores still is not hanging around.  Enough non sense.  This game was never in jeorpardy.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That's only because they didn't execute on those drive ending plays. That doesn't change the fact a team with a poor receiving core right now was able to gouge our D for way too many big plays on the ground.

The Bills defense would've played differently if we weren't down 2 all-pros in the secondary and a 3rd one in the 4th quarter. They would've stacked the **** out if the box and played man to man against the receiving crew.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Wondering if the other teams look at this and start trying to get in the Bills heads with all the trash talk and extra curricular stuff.

I don't think that played a factor in the game. I think teams will try to exploit the run defense of the Bills. This also keeps the ball out of Allen's hands. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I don't think that played a factor in the game. I think teams will try to exploit the run defense of the Bills. This also keeps the ball out of Allen's hands. 

I doubt it works that well again. The Bills came in as the #1 run D in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Exactly... they didnt execute.  They burned all their clock on their own and didnt execute. Also the Bills stuffed the run when it mattered.  Thats why running teams dont win many games.  That isnt likely to happen again.  They were telling GB to run the ball knowing GB didnt have the clock.  Missed tackles suck but its one game.  They been stout against the run all year.  It'll be fine. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The Bills defense would've played differently if we weren't down 2 all-pros in the secondary and a 3rd one in the 4th quarter. They would've stacked the **** out if the box and played man to man against the receiving crew.

You can claim they would've done this or that, but the fact is they were getting gouged and that was typical of Frazier not being able to adapt to what the opposing offense is doing. And if you know you're down those players, you must adapt.  Letting the other team rip off 10 , 20 yard runs is effectively the same as a passing game.  You tell the D line to play the run, not the pass.  It seemed like our D line was playing the pass all night.

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It seemed as though our D, especially D line, was playing the pass when you knew they were going to keep running the ball.  I blame the D play calling.

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't really care about the trash talking. I just don't want to see bad penalties. 

I dont like that he lost his head and took a penalty but at the same time I get it.  That dude was mouthing off and pushing and punching our receivers all game long.  He never got a flag for after play activities though.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I doubt it works that well again. The Bills came in as the #1 run D in the NFL.

I was pretty confident the Bills would contain the Packer run game. I knew their run game was solid but I still trusted  the Bills defense. Especially, since the Packers literally have a limited passing game. I never thought they would get gashed play after play. It raises a little concern in the back of my mind. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You can claim they would've done this or that, but the fact is they were getting gouged and that was typical of Frazier not being able to adapt to what the opposing offense is doing. And if you know you're down those players, you must adapt.  Letting the other team rip off 10 , 20 yard runs is effectively the same as a passing game.  You tell the D line to play the run, not the pass.  It seemed like our D line was playing the pass all night.

Frazier didnt adjust because it was non sensicle for GB to keep running the football no matter how much they were gashing us.  They didnt have the clock to win like that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

He will get one, Count on It.

McDermott was clearly not happy in his postgame presser and specifically called out that penalty as “We Can’t Do That”

Agree, it's one thing not to take crap from a team.  It's another with some of the stuff that happened tonight.

It's unprofessional.  I want McD to nip it in the bud.

• Like (+1) 1

Once again out of respect of one of the best QBs ever to play. They rather take the chance against the run and it worked, they only gave up 17 points.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but keep in mind a lot of the negativity after a double digit win is because a LOT of people had the Bills at -10.5 or -11 and due to some 2nd half sloppiness, they juuuust failed to cover.

IDK.   Josh being 5 of 14 for ~90 yards and two picks in the second half may have something to do with that negativity as well.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Exactly... they didnt execute.  They burned all their clock on their own and didnt execute. Also the Bills stuffed the run when it mattered.  Thats why running teams dont win many games.  That isnt likely to happen again.  They were telling GB to run the ball knowing GB didnt have the clock.  Missed tackles suck but its one game.  They been stout against the run all year.  It'll be fine. 

What they were giving up on the ground, they might as well have been giving up through the air since the yardage gained was pass like yardage.  We knew they were running but the D still couldn't stop it.  That is rigid play calling and shows a lack of ability to adapt to what the offense is doing.

The play calling tonight was questionable on both sides of the ball and the Bills won because they are simple a much better team than GB, but bad execution and play calling kept this game closer than it should've been. This game should've played out how the Pittsburgh game did the second half.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Frazier didnt adjust because it was non sensicle for GB to keep running the football no matter how much they were gashing us.  They didnt have the clock to win like that.

I didn’t think the defensive play calling was bad anyway. It was the execution which let us down.

• Agree 3

For perhaps a less emotional reaction to tonight’s game, here is the #1 takeaway from the game in NFL.com’s weekly “what we learned from todays games” article: 

1) Allen has emerged as a great leader, not just a great talent

Unequivocally, Josh Allen is in the conversation for being the best quarterback in the NFL. However, it was incredibly transparent on a chilly night in Buffalo how much he's grown as a leader and a galvanizing force for the league's best team. Allen doesn't run safely. He should play safer; he should slide a bit more. Allen doesn't always stay composed. He should be a bit more level-headed when he takes exception to an opponent's physicality, rather than having to be pulled away by teammates. But these are reasons why it's clear Allen is beloved by his teammates and the guiding force in the Bills' quest for a first-ever Super Bowl championship. Allen runs to the fray, he doesn't shy away from it. He inspires not just with his play but with the fire in his belly. The ability of Allen -- who had a rather ho-hum night by his standards with 267 yards of offense and two touchdown passes -- to lift his teammates is just as impressive as his weekly statistical success. To see Allen ascend from a one-man adventure in his early seasons to a truly special talent has been astounding. But to see him emerge as a leader ready to fight, scratch and captain his team through all weathers has been pretty damn special, too. The best teams often have the best leaders, and that appears to be the case with the incandescent gunslinger from Firebaugh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

If they are gashing the D that is no different than running effective pass plays. You adapt to what the offense is doing.  If you are letting them rip off huge chunks of yards on the ground, you might as well make their receivers beat you since the receiving core is GBs big weakness right now.

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I was pretty confident the Bills would contain the Packer run game. I knew their run game was solid but I still trusted  the Bills defense. Especially, since the Packers literally have a limited passing game. I never thought they would get gashed play after play. It raises a little concern in the back of my mind. 

The Bills were up 17 points and got caught by surprise the Packers still kept running it...they even admitted it. Both Miller and Rousseau. Likely they got a little to antsy to rush the passer and got caught out of position.

What they were giving up on the ground, they might as well have been giving up through the air since the yardage gained was pass like yardage.  We knew they were running but the D still couldn't stop it.  That is rigid play calling and shows a lack of ability to adapt to what the offense is doing.

The play calling tonight was questionable on both sides of the ball and the Bills won because they are simple a much better team than GB, but bad execution and play calling kept this game closer than it should've been. This game should've played out how the Pittsburgh game did the second half.

They used 11 minutes down 3 scores to get 3 points.  No thats not the same as a passing offense.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The Bills seem to sometimes allow the other team to run themselves out of time when they have big leads. It's happened a lot...Bills play softer coverage, allow some plays, but keep them in front of them and make them use up a ton of time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

They used 11 minutes down 3 scores to get 3 points.  No thats not the same as a passing offense.

You're lumping multiple drives together where they either didn't convert or came away with a fg.

Bottom line is the run game was just as effective as a pass game there and the defense did not adjust accordingly.

If the offense's weakness is their receiving Corp, you make THEM beat you and plug up run.  You shouldn't have to play nickel defense every down if the receivers are the weakness of the other team.

Edited by Billz4ever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.