Fantastic Breakdown of Allen/Mahomes in KC game by John McCown in Scheme(long video)

Big Turk

Really great breakdown...they do Allen first for about 20-25 minutes and focus on his Aggressiveness, Elusiveness and Control with various plays broke down to show how those skills relate to the play.

McCown is amazed at Allen's ability to process things mentally and do so under pressure calmly in a tough environment during stressful situations.  Said Allen has become who he is because of the way he processes the game mentally, not because of his running ability and arm strength.  Talks about how he would have taken easy throws in some situations where Allen pushes the ball deeper downfield.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 11

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Talks about how he would have taken easy throws in some situations where Allen pushes the ball deeper downfield.

...and all of us who had to always deal with numerous Captain Checkdowns say Amen.

My favorite line from the whole thing is when he says something like - we get enamored with the hurdle, but it is this stuff, the stuff with his brain and his eyes that make him great.

Side note - I love the arm talent - not so that he can complete a pass in the air for 64 yards, although that is nice - because it means he can so easily flick the ball to a 20 yard out when he is off platform, being knocked around, and can't step into the throw.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Really great breakdown...they do Allen first for about 20-25 minutes and focus on his Aggressiveness, Elusiveness and Control with various plays broke down to show how those skills relate to the play.

McCown is amazed at Allen's ability to process things mentally and do so under pressure calmly in a tough environment during stressful situations.  Said Allen has become who he is because of the way he processes the game mentally, not because of his running ability and arm strength.  Talks about how he would have taken easy throws in some situations where Allen pushes the ball deeper downfield.

the flip side, chad Pennington could never become him. He’s become special because he has the arm, legs and brain 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the flip side, chad Pennington could never become him. He’s become special because he has the arm, legs and brain 

Yeah it's a combination of everything. He literally does it all at an elite level now.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah I watch it earlier as well. I got to go back to watch the Mahomes part. Josh McCown is a very self aware QB and I really enjoyed how he broke down Allen game especially from the mental side. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, jletha said:

Great breakdown. I really appreciate how much he emphasizes Josh's growth as a traditional QB. His "mind-meld" with Diggs is astounding. two of those throws you can only make when you are in complete sync with your WR.

Regarding Josh’s growth I was wishing we could a roll-out RPO all game long. Particularly on third and short or in the redzone on short yardage…. I don’t get it. Josh is almost unstoppable on those plays, why forget about them?

21 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Regarding Josh’s growth I was wishing we could a roll-out RPO all game long. Particularly on third and short or in the redzone on short yardage…. I don’t get it. Josh is almost unstoppable on those plays, why forget about them?

A roll out RPO is tough schematically because the lineman can’t go over a few yards downfield 

it has to be bang bang to keep the lineman legal … and that’s a long developing play

Great vid and breakdown. Appreciate both McCown's insight and self-deprecating humor as he said multiple times he'd take the easy throw (where our Josh takes the challenging throw and succeeds.

That throw to Diggs up the middle with 2:05 left and a safety just over top a few yards, ball in the air almost 25 yards, was crazy for it's timing and accuracy into coverage with safety help. As McCown says, the best moments in sports have an element of trust and Josh trusts Stephon. Wow.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Don't forget Pennington didn't always have a weak arm. The better take away might be that Allen would be as effective as Pennington if he had the same arm strength.

Allen has been great since his second year really manipulating people with his eyes (I'd probably say actually since the throw he hurt his elbow his rookie year was when that piece clicked which is what Allen has said).

This is different,  what we're seeing this year. This is what Allen meant when he said he was focusing on situational football, leverage and throwing right when people turn their back because he knows the step number when he'll have to turn. That's what Peyton Manning did. Lol at Allen saying he spent the summer thinking about getting out of bounds at the end of a game with his receivers...I mean if he was saying that he knew the specific steps the defender was likely taking and having your receivers exploit the same thing fully in sync.

Lmao!! Listen to this hot take by WGR personalities from the day after they drafted Allen...

Howard was "deflated" and wanted Rosen.

Jeremy didn't like it either.

I have to admit...I wanted Rosen too. So happy to have been more wrong than I ever have in my life.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'm so glad to see an analysis that doesn't dwell wholly on Josh's physical gifts or his "work ethic."

Of course he's the total package so he has both those things but you read a lot on this site where people attribute his success to his work ethic.

If NFL success was as easy as work ethic Mike Viti would have been a multiple time All Pro: https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/11/11/20960679/army-assistant-coach-mike-viti-former-fullback-wins-armed-forces-merit-award

Do you know how many American males have devoted every fiber of their body to succeeding in the NFL (including guys at the D3 level) and failed?

Josh is a highly-gifted person who possesses rare traits. That's the main reason he's as great as he is.

6 hours ago, hemma said:

His arm strength is so amazing that he can throw a 25 yard pass and the DBs still don’t have enough time to react.

Yes, this is what people dont understand about arm strength.  They think its just the ability to throw the football downfield.  Like Fins fans arguing Tuas arm strength is fine because he can moonball with all his might and hit a 50 yard pass in the center of the field.  Thats not what arm strength is all about.

Both Fitz and Peterman are perfect examples of smart players that could read the play but didnt have the arm to get it to the receiver.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.