Arrowhead(GEHA) Stadium is 50+ years old like Highmark---why no talk that it needs to be replaced??

Big Turk

I did not realize until it was mentioned in the broadcast yesterday that Arrowhead(GEHA) is roughly the same age as HighMark stadium is.  Why has there been no talk by the NFL on how KC needs a new stadium to remain competitive with the other NFL teams? 

Is there something about Arrowhead that makes it better than Highmark?  Have there been any major renovations done to it that would make sense as to why they wouldn't receive the same type of criticism from the NFL?

Just don't understand how the Bills have heard for years and years and years how they needed a new stadium to compete even coming from the Commissioner Goodell, but we have heard nothing about the Chiefs needing a new stadium for one that is pretty much the same age as ours.

Thoughts?

Edited by Big Turk

Renovations

One of the entrances to the stadium

On April 4, 2006, Jackson County voters approved a tax increase to finance municipal bonds to pay for $850 million in renovations to Arrowhead Stadium and nearby Kauffman Stadium.[31] Before the bond election, the NFL awarded the 49th Super Bowl in 2015 to Kansas City provided it would have a climate-controlled stadium. With the passing of the stadium bill, the Chiefs signed a new lease which ensures that the team will remain at Arrowhead until at least 2031.[32]

However, a second bond issue to build the rolling roof shared with Kauffman Stadium that was part of the original 1967 stadium plan was defeated by voters, and Kansas City chose to withdraw its request to host Super Bowl XLIX in 2015; the game was played at the University of Phoenix Stadium (now State Farm Stadium) in Glendale, Arizona.[33]

On August 15, 2007, the Chiefs announced final plans for the renovated Arrowhead Stadium, which would cost $375 million. The cost to the city was reduced by $50 million thanks to an additional payment by the Hunt family, which originally had intended to donate $75 million. The renovated stadium features the Chiefs Hall of Honor, a tribute to Lamar Hunt, and "horizon level" seating in which luxury suite owners sit outdoors.[34]

Reconstruction for the stadiums started on October 3, 2007. Refurbishment of nearby Kauffman Stadium, home to the Kansas City Royals baseball team, commenced at that time, and both completely-refurbished stadiums were ready for play by the 2010 season.[35]

In 2019, the Chiefs announced multiple renovations for the 2020 season, which included replaced seats in the lower level, a new video display on the East end, and locker room upgrades.[3

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I did not realize until it was mentioned in the broadcast yesterday that Arrowhead(GEHA) is roughly the same age as HighMark stadium is.  Why has there bee no talk by the NFL on how KC needs a new stadium to remain competitive with the other NFL teams? 

Is there something about Arrowhead that makes it better than Highmark?  Have there been any major renovations done to it that would make sense as to why they wouldn't receive the same type of criticism from the NFL?

Just don't understand how the Bills have heard for years and years and years how they needed a new stadium to compete even coming from the Commissioner Goodell, but we have heard nothing about the Chiefs needing a new stadium for one that is pretty much the same age as ours.

Thoughts?

I've thought about this before.

Lambeau, too.

Is it strictly the fact that those stadiums are more "historic" than Highmark? 

I know Lambeau had extensive modernizations done, but you can't tell me that those modernizations brought the stadium up to par with the modern palaces that Goodell and co seem to prefer.

Again, is it those stadiums' historic value that save their franchises from the "build a stadium or move!" mandates?

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Lambeau, too.

I know Lambeau had extensive modernizations done, but you can't tell me that those modernizations brought the stadium up to par with the modern palaces that Goodell and co seem to prefer.

Again, is it those stadiums' historic value that save their franchises from the "build a stadium or move!" mandates?

I know Lambeau underwent extensive renovations maybe like 10 years ago, so I am not overly surprised by that one...I think maybe Lambeau might have had enough historical appeal that if the costs were close they would keep it instead of building a new one.

How would the Chiefs stadium qualify tho?  They were an AFL team like the Bills were.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Lambeau, too.

Both Lambeau and Arrowhead have had massive renovations....the current construction of the Bills stadium with the lower bowl below grade precludes that being done in Buffalo. 

Lambeau has all the comfort of a modern stadium with huge concourses, indoor club seating all around etc.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Renovations

One of the entrances to the stadium

On April 4, 2006, Jackson County voters approved a tax increase to finance municipal bonds to pay for $850 million in renovations to Arrowhead Stadium and nearby Kauffman Stadium.[31] Before the bond election, the NFL awarded the 49th Super Bowl in 2015 to Kansas City provided it would have a climate-controlled stadium. With the passing of the stadium bill, the Chiefs signed a new lease which ensures that the team will remain at Arrowhead until at least 2031.[32]

However, a second bond issue to build the rolling roof shared with Kauffman Stadium that was part of the original 1967 stadium plan was defeated by voters, and Kansas City chose to withdraw its request to host Super Bowl XLIX in 2015; the game was played at the University of Phoenix Stadium (now State Farm Stadium) in Glendale, Arizona.[33]

On August 15, 2007, the Chiefs announced final plans for the renovated Arrowhead Stadium, which would cost $375 million. The cost to the city was reduced by $50 million thanks to an additional payment by the Hunt family, which originally had intended to donate $75 million. The renovated stadium features the Chiefs Hall of Honor, a tribute to Lamar Hunt, and "horizon level" seating in which luxury suite owners sit outdoors.[34]

Reconstruction for the stadiums started on October 3, 2007. Refurbishment of nearby Kauffman Stadium, home to the Kansas City Royals baseball team, commenced at that time, and both completely-refurbished stadiums were ready for play by the 2010 season.[35]

In 2019, the Chiefs announced multiple renovations for the 2020 season, which included replaced seats in the lower level, a new video display on the East end, and locker room upgrades.[3

Well that makes sense then...seems they did more modernization work than the Bills did...

Also seems like maybe some of the Bills stuff that needed to be done wasn't really feasible...

Pretty sure the Chiefs had serious multi minion dollar renovations years ago that fixed many of their issues. Had Buffalo not skimped on their smaller renovation jobs the past few times, they likely would be able to keep the stadium. At the time when the Chiefs made the renovations it would have been significant. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I thought they were investigating a location for a new stadium. 

They have if you look at a map the new stadium proposed site is acrossed the pond from the other stadium and actual sits in mo sister state to mo re Kansas so giving this and the tax laws the state of MO and Kansas city have to find an alternative.  More likely to build it in KS and have founding maybe from both states

As mentioned, it had an extensive renovation, as did Lambeau and Soldier Field.  In 2 of those cases, there has been calls for a new facility.  I see tennessee is going to build one to replace a 23 year old facility too.  

As much as I love Rich Stadium...  building anew is the right play.  the costs are fairly comparable.  In the event of a renovation, the calls for a new stadium would/could be renewed in 10, 15, 20 years.  Or at least more likely than a new stadium.

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

As mentioned, it had an extensive renovation, as did Lambeau and Soldier Field.  In 2 of those cases, there has been calls for a new facility.  I see tennessee is going to build one to replace a 23 year old facility too.  

As much as I love Rich Stadium...  building anew is the right play.  the costs are fairly comparable.  In the event of a renovation, the calls for a new stadium would/could be renewed in 10, 15, 20 years.  Or at least more likely than a new stadium.

Going to miss our unique swirling winds at one end of the stadium that doesn't exist anywhere else in the NFL tho...

I heard that last night too and was surprised.  Then I saw McDermott crammed into a nook trying to address the team and I thought, SSDC -- same stadium, different city.

Edited by wjag

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I did not realize until it was mentioned in the broadcast yesterday that Arrowhead(GEHA) is roughly the same age as HighMark stadium is.  Why has there been no talk by the NFL on how KC needs a new stadium to remain competitive with the other NFL teams? 

Thoughts?

For one, GEHA/Arrowhead's upper decks aren't in danger of collapsing.

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

For the one-hundredth time...

Soldier Field was not renovated. They built an entire NEW stadium inside the classic Roman column gateways.  It would be like demolishing Highmark, building a totally new stadium, but leaving up the old entrance gates, then calling it a renovation. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe because their concrete isn’t failing. I mean… in Buffalo the stuff they poured in the renovation in 2013(?) is going to pieces, if you look at the BN’s photos from that story several months ago.

Buffalo weather is different than KC’s. Stuff just seems to break down faster. Also, they may have the wider concourses and such, or were able to upgrade those in reno.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Just looking at it from above, it looks like it hasn't undergone hardly ANY renovations, unlike Rich Stadium.

Maybe that's wrong, I have never been there.

It’s much nicer than Ralph Wilson stadium on the inside 

they put tons of money into it and it shows 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Pretty sure the Chiefs had serious multi minion dollar renovations years ago that fixed many of their issues. Had Buffalo not skimped on their smaller renovation jobs the past few times, they likely would be able to keep the stadium. At the time when the Chiefs made the renovations it would have been significant. 

despicable me lol GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

For the one-hundredth time...

Soldier Field was not renovated. They built an entire NEW stadium inside the classic Roman column gateways.  It would be like demolishing Highmark, building a totally new stadium, but leaving up the old entrance gates, then calling it a renovation. 

And that was just under 20 years ago.  One interesting note I found while trying to find what year it was done, because they tore down the majority of the old stadium, it was dropped from the National Historic Landmark list.  

arrowhead stadium remains in terrific shape. i've been to plenty of stadiums. my favorite place in the NFL to watch a game is arrowhead.

the new stadiums like SoFi, Allegiant, Mercedes Benz, US Bank, etc, are all sights to behold and they are modern marvels. But you simply don't feel like you're at a football game in these stadiums. The atmosphere just doesn't feel natural. Hard to explain. 

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Lambeau, too.

I can tell you from being at Lambeau in 2018 that stadium is absolutely beautiful and there have been a ton of renovations and additions added on. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.