Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The Jets are 4-2 because of Breece Hall.  Who we should have been moving up into late RD 1 to get after the Elam pick.  We'd have Hall over Cook and no need for CMC.  

Well didn't Breece fumble in his first game as well? If he played here, the bills staff would just cut his production down to 99% and give him garbage time reps. Who knows Cook could be flying with the jets if switched. Elam was the better fit for this team

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But anyone devaluing what CMC would bring to this offense is kidding themselves  I am a fan of Devin, and I have defended him many times against the over exaggerated crap he gets around here.  But even I know CMC potentially makes our offense historically good and damn near unstoppable.  

And for the record...the guy you responded to wasn't comparing a DE to a RB.  He was comparing the situations.  Going from a good to great player significantly moved the needle on defense in upgrading from Hughes to Von.  He was saying upgrading from Devin to CMC could have the same significant impact for the offense.  

And for the record:  I do not think we trade for McCaffrey.  I think Beane called, found the price to be too rich, and that was that.  They will most likely find another suitor willing to give more than Beane is.  And I am totally fine with Devin, but also fine and would be excited if we surprised and did land CMC.

I'm in agreement with you.  I like Devin, just think CMC would elevate the offense.  Would take it to an insane level.

Appreciate your recognizing and responding to the attempted shift of the point.

I, too, don't think the trade will happen.  It was always a longshot.  I think Beane has never been a pursuing a strict one year rental, he would want at least this 1/2 year and all of next year intended.  That makes it more difficult.

Hope KC doesn't get him.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Nailed it! Big cap $ for oft injured player. Carolina wants multiple #1’s. DS and Cook who will develop are fine without the above headaches. Beane plays the now and future game and this does not align. 

33 minutes ago, motorj said:

Well didn't Breece fumble in his first game as well? If he played here, the bills staff would just cut his production down to 99% and give him garbage time reps. Who knows Cook could be flying with the jets if switched. Elam was the better fit for this team

Absolutely it was the right pick - our secondary is looking loaded for years.  I was and still am good with it no matter how good Breece is.   

I wanted him so bad in RD 2 or if we could move up into late round 1 from pick 63 but I'm sure price was too high....or was it?

Pick 63 and Bernard (RD 3) for Hall at pick 33-35 I'd have done that.  Would that have been enough?

Our draft would have been this:

Elam 

Hall 

*No Bernard we trade 3rd RD pick*

Shakir

Araiza (but no way we draft a punter here after trading the 3rd RD pick)

Benford 

Tanuta

45 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The problem with that theory is that the Bills can pick him up for this season only. As I understand it he can be cut after the season with the Bills taking just a minimal cap hit. Now, a rental player is not worth one 1st, let alone multiples, so the Panthers would have to be willing to settle for a much smaller draft bounty.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They may be least important......that doesn't mean you don't want a great one.  

The Jets are 4-2 because of Breece Hall.  Who we should have been moving up into late RD 1 to get after the Elam pick.  We'd have Hall over Cook and no need for CMC.  

RBs like this change games.  We don't have to do anything different on O.  We don't have to run it more.  We just have to be efficient.  Singletary and CMC combo would be fantastic.  

CMC isn't 23 year old CMC anymore but he's still elite.  

We barely give the Rookie we drafted any playing time. We don't need to be dropping first round picks on 1/2 season rental RBs.

47 minutes ago, motorj said:

And clearly the bigger need and as the season has progressed, that became even more evident with the injuries in the secondary.

Edited by Billz4ever

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The problem with that theory is that the Bills can pick him up for this season only. As I understand it he can be cut after the season with the Bills taking just a minimal cap hit. Now, a rental player is not worth one 1st, let alone multiples, so the Panthers would have to be willing to settle for a much smaller draft bounty.

incorrect. Any team trading for CM has a small cap hit this year of half of his 1 mill yearly salary (depending on what week the trade happens)

but if cut in off season new team has mega dead cap hit of 15 to 18 mill. Exact number unknown as spotrak site does not update trade numbers until after a trade.

• Disagree 3

9 minutes ago, cba fan said:

incorrect. Any team trading for CM has a small cap hit this year of half of his 1 mill yearly salary (depending on what week the trade happens)

but if cut in off season new team has mega dead cap hit of 15 to 18 mill. Exact number unknown as spotrak site does not update trade numbers until after a trade.

It’s just my opinion at this just doesn’t make any sense for us do you have to give up draft compensation on top of trying to figure out how you’re even going to pay him in the future all the while we have our own free agents that we really can’t afford to lose like Gabe Davis

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I can’t wait until November 1st when we don’t have to read about these rumors anymore 

Let's be honest, it's the bye week, if it doesnt happen this week it's not going to

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Nobody, NOBODY, is giving up multiple 1s for McCaffery.  It's good to want things, it doesn't mean you will get them. Nobody is even giving them a single 1 for him. It's just not going to happen.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In terms of capital investment, those numbers will always be highest for QB, Tackle, and DE.  No doubt about it.

But you can't sit here and diminish the value of a RB while Saquan Barkley is turning Daniel Jones into a winning QB and playoff QB despite him be average at best.  Saquan is carrying that offense and is a big reason why they are 5-1.  Had they traded Saquan in the offseason they would probably be 1-5 right now instead.

An elite RB can absolutely move the needle for a team.  I mean if you put CMC on the Bills, all the betting odds on us get even better and we are already the favorite.  Put him on KC, and they will close the gap or even become the betting favorite over us.  Put him on SF and they suddenly look like the team to beat in the NFC.  

Should a team build around a RB, of course not, that is a much harder way to win in the modern NFL.  It's possible, but you are going to need a great OL and a great Defense and a solid QB just to have a chance.  

But anyone devaluing what CMC would bring to this offense is kidding themselves  I am a fan of Devin, and I have defended him many times against the over exaggerated crap he gets around here.  But even I know CMC potentially makes our offense historically good and damn near unstoppable.  

And for the record...the guy you responded to wasn't comparing a DE to a RB.  He was comparing the situations.  Going from a good to great player significantly moved the needle on defense in upgrading from Hughes to Von.  He was saying upgrading from Devin to CMC could have the same significant impact for the offense.  

And for the record:  I do not think we trade for McCaffrey.  I think Beane called, found the price to be too rich, and that was that.  They will most likely find another suitor willing to give more than Beane is.  And I am totally fine with Devin, but also fine and would be excited if we surprised and did land CMC.

When you have an average QB then you pay a game changing RB.  When you have an elite QB you pay a game changing receiver.  CMC isnt going to make a big enough difference to justify the cost of him with the QB we have.  There are a few teams that have an elite RB.  Tell me how many of them get to the superbowl in todays NFL.

If you are paying for an elite RB then thats an elite receiver that you can't pay. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In terms of capital investment, those numbers will always be highest for QB, Tackle, and DE.  No doubt about it.

But you can't sit here and diminish the value of a RB while Saquan Barkley is turning Daniel Jones into a winning QB and playoff QB despite him be average at best.  Saquan is carrying that offense and is a big reason why they are 5-1.  Had they traded Saquan in the offseason they would probably be 1-5 right now instead.

An elite RB can absolutely move the needle for a team.  I mean if you put CMC on the Bills, all the betting odds on us get even better and we are already the favorite.  Put him on KC, and they will close the gap or even become the betting favorite over us.  Put him on SF and they suddenly look like the team to beat in the NFC.  

Should a team build around a RB, of course not, that is a much harder way to win in the modern NFL.  It's possible, but you are going to need a great OL and a great Defense and a solid QB just to have a chance.  

The disconnect here is that you think winning a few random regular season games on the strength of running the ball and playing good defense is "moving the needle" toward winning a Super Bowl.

It's not.

That's been proven time and again over the last 25 years.

Playoffs come........defensive business decisions stop happening........run games get shut down regardless of what All Pro you have in your backfield and teams that have built themselves around giving a stud RB touches find themselves a fish out of water.    See New Orleans time and again with Alvin Kamara.......the "other" McCaffrey.

Now if a stud RB gets released at midseason and is willing to come aboard knowing he may only get 6-8 touches per game.........I'm OK with that.

But if you trade a 1st or 2nd round pick......or heaven forbid MORE........for a twice busted-up f*cking RB?    You are not only stupid but you are OBLIGATED to make that look like a productive transaction.

And in the case of McCaffrey.........he has no guaranteed money left on his contract.   This is essentially his walk year.    It would be a potentially huge personal sacrifice for him to risk coming to a team and putting up modest numbers in limited opportunities and then hit the free agent market.    

As for what the poster was comparing.........its called comparing apples to oranges.   It's an utterly ridiculous comparison.  

Everyone knew they needed and didn't have a finishing pass rusher.    

The GM even said so.   REPEATEDLY.

Has the GM said "we don't have a big time RB and we need one of those"???

I thought not.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If we spend any more than a 3rd Rd draft pick to trade for a RB who will take the ball away from the most dynamic player in the NFL - Allen - I will put a hole in a wall. 

2 Priorities every season, and 2 main priorities for next 10+yrs

OL to protect Allen.

WR to highlight Allen. 

All this other talk is nonsense. 

Edited by bobobonators

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.