Shakir Should Not Be Inactive

EmotionallyUnstable

On that 4th down play, the entire things was a mess. It seemed like the play call got in slow, then they motioned people over to the other side, by that time Josh had to rush to get the snap off which allowed the D to time the play clock. Would be hard for anyone to get the block in that spot. Should have called timeout

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Relax on the guy.  As a side note, I was glad Cook was able to shake rust off in garbage time.  

They are rookies.  Our team has a five year history at methodically bringing along young guys, and developing them.  Just look at Bates, Rousseau, Basham in year 2, and even Singletary showing growth.

Our team is so deep we have time to let these guys develop.  Many of us are just a little impatient and expect HOF play from rookies.  So I can admit I was part of that club and was impatient with Knox.  I was over him after two years, but I regret any post on him in the past I expected him to be better in year 2.  The reality is some TE’s don’t shine until year 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm sure I'm reading into this but did McD just not so subtly tell Shakir to play like a pro.

Mcd was asked about Dodson and Van Roten coming in to play as back-up and said how he felt about them.  Then went to explain that with the situation with Gabe and having people practice like they are going to play in the game.  Video timestamped.

Edited by The Wiz

11 hours ago, T master said:

He wasn't last night but if he drops any more passes like he did last night he will be . I think injuries played a part of why he was activated though .

These are the  "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL" moments for Shakir and Cook. 

The expectations of playing with a Josh Allen is way too high and you are microscopically analysed.   Whereas our rookie DBs are playing with less of that kind of weight on their shoulder.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He’s the level most back ups are.

Fair assessment.

Skakir must have have the yips

it happens 1st NFL game for the kid

no reason to worry.

no reason to be overly negative either as some might feel. Cook will come around too.

Trust the Process :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm sure I'm reading into this but did McD just not so subtly tell Shakir to play like a pro.

Mcd was asked about Dodson and Van Roten coming in to play as back-up and said how he felt about them.  Then went to explain that with the situation with Gabe and having people practice like they are going to play in the game.  Video timestamped.

I think it was more about Kumerow preparing to be a starter since he was Gabe's backup and doing it, and being a good lesson about how you can lose a player so close to the game and not have time to prepare.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it was more about Kumerow preparing to be a starter since he was Gabe's backup and doing it, and being a good lesson about how you can lose a player so close to the game and not have time to prepare.

Fair enough.  Just the comment about "a great lesson to learn for our team" made me wonder.  You would think Kumerow would already know that with his experience in the league and under McD which is why I thought it might have been directed at Shakir.

14 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Dude looks tiny and slow.  Like I said during those training camp work outs, his feet speed is way too slow to be a good player in the NFL.

Gonna have to improve that quickly.

As soon as Stevenson is ready, Shakir can go to PS.

Do you actually understand how moving players to the PS works?

The Bills would need to drop Shakir from the 53, thus exposing him to waivers.  Yes he didn't look good yesterday, but he certainly shown enough in pre-season that he'd be immediately grabbed by some other team.  Beane isn't letting a 5th round draft pick who looked good in pre-season go to save another player drafted in round 6 BTW and who is safely tucked away on IR and could stay there all season if needed.

The only way Stevenson makes it to the active roster is if one of the other WR's gets hurt.  No matter what Shakir's not going anywhere unless he were to get hurt, then he could go to IR.

And BTW the only time Stevenson has looked good was also in pre-season, the same as Shakir.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

On that 4th down play, the entire things was a mess. It seemed like the play call got in slow, then they motioned people over to the other side, by that time Josh had to rush to get the snap off which allowed the D to time the play clock. Would be hard for anyone to get the block in that spot. Should have called timeout

Watching it in real time I thought the Bills were waiting for the refs to measure the spot from the previous play, I saw the play clock winding down but I thought for sure it was going to be reset because the offense wasn't even getting ready. It looked like they didn't know the play clock was running, very bizarre. As a result the play was DOA before we even snapped the ball. It's a coaching detail that I'm sure McDermott will fix.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Geez yet another thread where Bills fans are trashing rookies.

Why am I not surprised?

I don't think anyone is trashing Shakir. Just a tempering of expectations. Personally my view had always been that his contribution this year would likely come down the stretch but after his really good pre-season one or two got a bit carried away. 

The kid is still a good player. He did not have a great debut. People just need to be realistic about where things are at. 

I also still think his future is at slot personally. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.