Shakir Should Not Be Inactive

EmotionallyUnstable

52 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Maybe I missed this discussed via McD post game, or the discussion on here…

The Bills leave themselves short handed on the outside with just Diggs, Davis, Kumerow when Shakir is inactive. 

An injury to our #1 or #2 would have us forced to use certain personnel, with Knox as the split end, or possibly force Kumerow into action. 

I think TD Jesus is a capable WR, but I’d rather have the rook be available to step in, instead of have all three RBs (Single, Moss, Cook) active each week. It is not necessary. 

Thoughts?

Welp, he didn't fumble so it’s probably for the best.

54 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The Bills leave themselves short handed on the outside with just Diggs, Davis, Kumerow when Shakir is inactive. 

An injury to our #1 or #2 would have us forced to use certain personnel, with Knox as the split end, or possibly force Kumerow into action. 

I think TD Jesus is a capable WR, but I’d rather have the rook be available to step in, instead of have all three RBs (Single, Moss, Cook) active each week. It is not necessary. 

Thoughts?

It's probably a week to week thing with matchups as far as maybe wanting an extra player on D active or whatever...

I would expect a lot of matchup specific inactives...like perhaps AJE being inactive in favor of Lawson to help set the edge on Henry.

48 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s not Madden, rookies take time and McD knows what he’s doing. 

He’ll get his opportunities soon enough!

47 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

They are letting him earn his stripes.  The rookies at CB was because we had no one else.  

McD is big on this, letting rookies watch now and then play, unless they are truly someone you shouldn't keep off the field.  Shakir is good for sure, but the vets are the better players to play on opening night.

Yes like Christian Benford,

• Like (+1) 1

The OP is seriously overthinking this

All 4 primary WR's made plays last night, and in most cases are very interchangeable in terms of positions and roles on this offense

Kumerow is a core 4 ST player.  They also trust him to take snaps on offense

Shakir will get his chance at some point.  Injuries happen

But to complain about not dressing our #6 rookie receiver when we just blew out the world champs on the road is borderline ridiculous

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts?

Get use to it!  Unless either Moss, Singletary, or Cook play themselves into the doghouse and become inactive they are likely to go with only 5 WR every week this year.  Last season was just Moss and Singletary so had an extra roster spot and went to WR.  Kumerow is an experienced ST ace so he will be active.

Could also come down to Shakir, Crowder, or McKenzie for the last WR slot.  But wil ltake some doing for Shakir to beat out any of those 3 or Kumerow

26 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

The OP is seriously overthinking this

All 4 primary WR's made plays last night, and in most cases are very interchangeable in terms of positions and roles on this offense

Kumerow is a core 4 ST player.  They also trust him to take snaps on offense

Shakir will get his chance at some point.  Injuries happen

But to complain about not dressing our #6 rookie receiver when we just blew out the world champs on the road is borderline ridiculous

This take has nothing to do with how things went and everything to do with how things COULD go. 

Having that #6 WR could be vital if there is an injury to Diggs or Davis. Dressing 3 RBs is something they traditionally have not done. We’ve always dressed 6WRs, IIRC. 

I am not arguing Kumerow should be the inactive, but instead it should be one of the RBs.

A few weeks ago ppl were talking about cutting/trading Singletary or Moss and now we want all three of these guys active? 

Again, activating Shakir wouldn’t necessarily mean the top 4 guys would see fewer snaps. It just protects them mid-game to injuries and gives them more versatility at the position. 

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Get use to it!  Unless either Moss, Singletary, or Cook play themselves into the doghouse and become inactive they are likely to go with only 5 WR every week this year.  Last season was just Moss and Singletary so had an extra roster spot and went to WR.  Kumerow is an experienced ST ace so he will be active.

Could also come down to Shakir, Crowder, or McKenzie for the last WR slot.  But wil ltake some doing for Shakir to beat out any of those 3 or Kumerow

Why all of a sudden the shift to 3 RBs plus Taiwan, instead of 2RBs and 6 WRs

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

This take has nothing to do with how things went and everything to do with how things COULD go. 

Having that #6 WR could be vital if there is an injury to Diggs or Davis. Dressing 3 RBs is something they traditionally have not done. We’ve always dressed 6WRs, IIRC. 

I am not arguing Kumerow should be the inactive, but instead it should be one of the RBs.

A few weeks ago ppl were talking about cutting/trading Singletary or Moss and now we want all three of these guys active? 

Again, activating Shakir wouldn’t necessarily mean the top 4 guys would see fewer snaps. It just protects them mid-game to injuries and gives them more versatility at the position. 

Cook can be a dangerous receiver. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Sure, and yet it still limits their versatility to have one fewer guy in the mix. A team that has a base 11 personnel with 3 WRs more than any other team in football only has 5 active WRs on game day? It’s like they’re short changing themselves for the handful of snaps the 3rd RB will get. 

The Bills won 31-10, right? Against the world champs, across the country away game. I think we're doing OK with this decision. 

57 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Gotta come up with something better to complain about beyond reserve wideouts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Who do you think he takes snaps from though? I don't personally see it

If I had to guess a scenario, one of the guys ahead of him gets dinged up. Ankle, hammy, whatever. Then he gets a chance to dress and maybe make a name for himself.

Honestly, no hate on him, but I love our guys and I hope it doesn’t happen, but I’ve been watching football for a long time. It happens, and we may be pleasantly surprised. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.