Shakir Should Not Be Inactive

EmotionallyUnstable

15 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Maybe I missed this discussed via McD post game, or the discussion on here…

The Bills leave themselves short handed on the outside with just Diggs, Davis, Kumerow when Shakir is inactive. 

An injury to our #1 or #2 would have us forced to use certain personnel, with Knox as the split end, or possibly force Kumerow into action. 

I think TD Jesus is a capable WR, but I’d rather have the rook be available to step in, instead of have all three RBs (Single, Moss, Cook) active each week. It is not necessary. 

Thoughts?

It was just one week, I’d venture to guess there will be some minor changes from week to week. This last game, Davis had nearly all of the offensive snaps (he sat out 2, one being the kneel down). Certainly an injury could have cost them, but it also seems the Bills were prepared to keep Davis in all game, while rotating, Diggs, McKenzie, Crowder, and a little Kumrow sprinkled in. Diggs had around 65% of the snaps, down a bit from last seasons use. 

Let’s see how the next couple of weeks shake out. Shakir looked very good in pre season, I have to imagine he won’t be inactive all the time even without injuries to the wr group. 

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I do. Moss is the better run blocker and titans can rush. 

Miss might be a better pass blocker, but Singletary isn’t bad at that at all. I didn’t see last years pass blocking metrics, but Moss’s rookie year he was ranked number 1, while Singletary was top 5. So it’s really splitting hairs to keep Moss around because he is a better pass blocker. 

I will say this about Moss, even though his numbers from game 1 aren’t great, he looked better than last year. There are a few runs where he looked dead to rights in the backfield and worked some magic just to make it a couple yard game, so he can’t be judged on numbers alone. 

We honestly need Cook to step up and prove he can be relied upon, because having all 3 active each week isn’t what we need in the long run. Moss and Singletary are too redundant. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 716er said:

Can we please stop with the Moss is the inside power back? He has never shown this. Singletary is better inside by a wide wide wide margin.

I probably should have worded that differently and stated the team would like to use them differently as.....  Likely this is Moss's last chance this year to prove he is that guy or he better have anew career in mind.  Though one game didn't work so well.  Don't know if it's been stated anywhere by the coaching staff but seemed like after the Cook early fumble Moss was playing plays meant/panned for Cook so probably wasn't the best match up either.

28 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s tough to see Shakir getting meaningful snaps even if he is activated. He’s going to be really good when the time comes. 

McKenzie has never NOT given away a job he has been handed.........and he created yet another egregious turnover......in his first game on the job as slot WR1.

And Crowder has had a lot of trouble staying healthy for the past 4 seasons or so and he came into camp injured so him giving you 20 games without missing a block of time is less than likely.

So it's pretty easy to see Shakir getting meaningful snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They traditionally don’t activate 3 RBs on game day so he must think that of Cook. 

Cook is a unique player on the offense and was a big part of the game plan, Shakir was not and likely wasn’t going to see many snaps plus crowder can return punts. All those RBs passes that went to Moss were designed for Cook. Alas Benched early after the fumble and only saw 3 snaps. 

they are going to have a tough time selecting Inactives each week if injuries aren’t there and will likely lean on game plan to decide 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cook is a unique player on the offense and was a big part of the game plan, Shakir was not and likely wasn’t going to see many snaps plus crowder can return punts. All those RBs passes that went to Moss were designed for Cook. Alas Benched early after the fumble and only saw 3 snaps. 

they are going to have a tough time selecting Inactives each week if injuries aren’t there and will likely lean on game plan to decide 

Cook is unique to the Bills offense but it's unique in the kinda' way that McKenzie is unique to the Bills offense.

Doesn't mean that it's going to translate to much production or that it's even a net positive to have them on the field instead of a "less unique" option.

As I've said..........the idea of Cook sounds a lot better than it is likely to translate to the field............putting Cook on the field takes Singletary off of it..........and the bar for being better than Singletary might not be Alvin Kamara/Christian McCaffrey-high but it is higher than it is credited as by a lot of fans.    

If Ed Oliver misses any time Lawson will probably be activated.

If Cook or Moss end up in the doghouse, Shakir will probably get the nod as the next active offensive player.

It's a long season and guys will get their chances. Depth like this is a sweet problem to have.

Edited by RocCityRoller

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The Bills leave themselves short handed on the outside with just Diggs, Davis, Kumerow when Shakir is inactive. 

An injury to our #1 or #2 would have us forced to use certain personnel, with Knox as the split end, or possibly force Kumerow into action. 

I think TD Jesus is a capable WR, but I’d rather have the rook be available to step in, instead of have all three RBs (Single, Moss, Cook) active each week. It is not necessary. 

Thoughts?

I have no idea why you are getting so many eye rolls here, I 100% agree that Shakir should be active over all 3 active of Devin, Moss, and Cook.  Despite being up multiple scores late, we still only totaled 15 total carries to our RB's, plus Josh Allen had 10 himself.  We do not need 3 RB's to handle 15 carries a game, and Moss is the one who should be inactive.

Moss had the worst game of any Bill on both sides of the ball.  While leading the RB's in total touches he had 2.5 ypc, 3.5 ypc as a receiver and a fumble.  Making Moss inactive we still have 3 guys who can do damage in the run game...Devin, Cook, and Allen.  Moss is essentially a 4th RB when you factor Allens runs into the game plan.  

And while McKenzie had a TD, he also had a minimal impact most the game and a costly turnover.  I actually thought Crowder had the better game.  There is room for Shakir to get snaps on the field with how much we throw the ball, and so far, no one has really locked the slot spot down.  So using Shakir some in the slot, and having him for some outside work too to me has more value then carrying an extra RB when we don't run the ball a lot with our RB's.  

Devin is by far the best runner on the team, when we are handing the ball to RB's just 15 times a game, he should be getting a MIN of 12 of those carries, if not all 15.  Especially when he is averaging 6 ypc.  Devin is a capable receiver too, and Cook brings speed and an even better receiver skill set.  

I actually think there is a strong possibility Shakir will be active this week.  And it wouldn't surprise me to see Moss inactive if all our dinged up guys suit up.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Jones is ST players.  He rarely does an off snap.

in roster I don’t rvrncall him a RB.

ST(5). K, P, LS, 2 ST players ( him being one)

Go look at the depth chart on Buffalobills.com. He is listed as a running back.

Yes, he only plays special teams, but he is technically a running back.

23 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts?

They're comfortable with McKenzie and Crowder playing outside as well if the situation calls for it.

My guess is that as the year goes on, Shakir will be more and more active. But we'll see.

Those players are almost solely slot guys 

Crowder played about a quarter of his Jets snaps outside. McKenzie has also been outside periodically, though not as often as Crowder.

You may see them as "almost solely slot guys." It appears (so far) that the Bills differ with you on that. We'll see how that changes or continues as things go on, but that's how the Bills appear to be thinking right now.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Crowder played about a quarter of his Jets snaps outside. McKenzie has also been outside periodically, though not as often as Crowder.

You may see them as "almost solely slot guys." It appears (so far) that the Bills differ with you on that.

In pre-season game 2 when the starters played and they pulled Diggs first they shuffled McKenzie wide and then brought Crowder into the slot. I think I saw McKenzie twice outside on Thursday. But generally the plays Diggs wasn't in Kumerow was. He played 24% of the snaps, though was not targeted once in the passing game and without actually counting them up (I'll wait for the analytics sites to do that for me) I would say at least 75% of the plays Kumerow was in for were runs.  They also had a package I saw twice where Tommy Sweeney lined up outside in a spread look which is in the bucket of that "interesting wrinkle but you are not going to fool anyone for very long with that."

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In pre-season game 2 when the starters played and they pulled Diggs first they shuffled McKenzie wide and then brought Crowder into the slot. I think I saw McKenzie twice outside on Thursday. But generally the plays Diggs wasn't in Kumerow was. He played 24% of the snaps, though was not targeted once in the passing game and without actually counting them up (I'll wait for the analytics sites to do that for me) I would say at least 75% of the plays Kumerow was in for were runs.  They also had a package I saw twice where Tommy Sweeney lined up outside in a spread look which is in the bucket of that "interesting wrinkle but you are not going to fool anyone for very long with that."

Interesting stuff, Bill, thanks. I'll start looking for that in terms of Kumerow being in for run plays vs. pass plays. And I didn't see Sweeney outside. I'll try to start looking for that too.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Interesting stuff, Bill, thanks. I'll start looking for that in terms of Kumerow being in for run plays vs. pass plays. And I didn't see Sweeney outside. I'll try to start looking for that too.

If I remember which thread it is I will come back once the Kumerow run plays v pass plays numbers are up. 

They traditionally don’t activate 3 RBs on game day so he must think that of Cook. 

IMO we need to wait and see if Moss has turned a corner or if his good preseason was fools gold. If he has another dud game they might go back to just two backs on game day. As long as Cook doesn’t fumble again.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks for this info. 

This situation is exactly what I would hope to avoid by having more options available mid-game if you active Shakir 

• Eyeroll 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts?

similar logic, we dress 2 RB's and one gets hurt. Then what?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.