Josh Allen is the NFL's Ultimate "Ultimate Weapon": What's Next? (Great article, paywall)

Logic

Excellent article on The Athletic today. I'll post just the opening, but it's a long and great read. Highly recommended.

https://theathletic.com/3546121/2022/09/01/josh-allen-bills/

The NFL had never seen anything like him.

Randall Cunningham was all sinew and slither, a human elastic band who could loop and snap on every run or pass. Sports Illustrated labeled him “The Ultimate Weapon.” Vapor trails whooshed from the Eagles quarterback as he leaped, arm cocked, across the cover of its 1989 NFL preview edition.

“He was a nightmare,” Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts said.

Make Cunningham two inches taller, 25 pounds heavier and willing to truck a linebacker and you’ve got Josh Allen. Thirty-three years after Cunningham’s skill set was deemed nonpareil and the future of the sport, Allen has looked ultimate-r.

“John Madden was fixated by Josh Allen,” said Los Angeles Times reporter Sam Farmer, who communicated regularly with Madden until the football icon’s December death. In texts, Madden referred to Allen as “an animal,” “a beast” and “worth the price of admission.”

“Josh Allen is unusual,” said Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells, the NFL’s all-decade coach for the 1990s. “There are not many who come along like this guy.”

Allen wasn’t voted to the Pro Bowl last year and never has led the league in a conventional passing statistic, but he enters 2022 as the Super Bowl favorite’s wickedest weapon and the leading candidate for MVP. But what if Allen is more than that? What if his unique combination of rocketry, elusiveness and verve can transcend being the man of the moment to become a quarterback for the ages?

He is already part of a young quarterback generation that has made coaches reimagine the game.

Patrick Mahomes won an MVP Award at 23 years old, Lamar Jackson at 22. Joe Burrow led the Bengals to the Super Bowl in his second season. Justin Herbert, also entering his third year, is a popular choice in the “what one player would you build your team around” conversation.

Within that group, however, Allen might possess the most complete array of desired traits: size, arm strength, accuracy, running ability, football IQ, character and ambition.

“We’ve seen moments where Josh has put that all together,” said Hall of Fame quarterback and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner. “When he does, I mean, he’s as unique as anybody that we’ve seen play the position.

“When you add the unicorn running skills and the size that goes with it, your mind’s blown at all the possibilities with Josh.”

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I've always sort of wondered how Madden would feel about Josh Allen. It's cool to hear that he was a big fan.

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Brady might have the GOAT career wrapped up and out of reach but Allen has the potential to put up a GOAT season. 6,000 yards and 60 TD's

If we only go by wins and longevity, it's quite possible that no one will ever touch Brady.

In terms of sheer physical skill and statistical production? It's quite possible that guys like Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes will have the chance to catch and surpass him.

The thing that I always come back to with Josh Allen is this: He has the physical skillset, the will, the work ethic, and the mindset to go down as the greatest quarterback to ever play football. A lot goes into collecting Lombardi trophies, and a lot of that is out of his control. Strictly in terms of his skillset and his intangibles, he has a legitimate chance to be the greatest of all time. The mere fact that he possesses the potential to achieve that lofty goal is mind boggling, but I don't see how anyone can refute it. Pro football has never seen anyone like Josh Allen before.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Another great snippet. The best part of this article is legends like Madden, Parcells, and Simms talking about Allen:

So is Allen extraordinary as a harbinger of football’s next phase, a slightly ahead-of-his-time revelation after three decades of pre-teen hopefuls receiving increasingly specialized instruction and youth coaches putting their best athletes at quarterback instead of running back or receiver?

Or is Allen an outlier, an all-intergalactic athlete with attributes that we shouldn’t expect to see in future NFL Draft pools just because generational advancements have brought such specimens to the fore?

“The next phase? No, I don’t think that’s the case at all,” Parcells said. “There aren’t guys that look like him in the league right now. Physically, they don’t compare.

“Burrow is not physically like Josh Allen. Mahomes certainly is not physically like Josh Allen. Neither are Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. Justin Herbert is a little better comparison, but they don’t use him like the Bills use Josh Allen’s feet. Even an athletic guy like Aaron Rodgers, the Packers don’t use him like that.”

To Parcells’ point, saying that Allen is helping to revolutionize the position would suggest organizations have the ability to find their own version of Allen and replicate what he has done. But teams can’t deploy their quarterbacks like Buffalo has with Allen. They aren’t versatile enough, big enough or intrepid enough.

Asked whether Allen represents a new wave or a different creature, Cosell compared him to a groundbreaking superstar most football historians consider among the finest three ever to play his position.

“Years and years ago,” said Cosell, “people might have asked if Randy Moss was going to be the wide receiver prototype, but there’s just not a lot of guys like Randy Moss. How many guys will there really be like Josh Allen? Not many.

“There might be someone else, but I don’t think that in 15 years half the quarterbacks in the NFL are going to play like Josh Allen.”

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Another great snippet. The best part of this article is legends like Madden, Parcells, and Simms talking about Allen:

So is Allen extraordinary as a harbinger of football’s next phase, a slightly ahead-of-his-time revelation after three decades of pre-teen hopefuls receiving increasingly specialized instruction and youth coaches putting their best athletes at quarterback instead of running back or receiver?

Or is Allen an outlier, an all-intergalactic athlete with attributes that we shouldn’t expect to see in future NFL Draft pools just because generational advancements have brought such specimens to the fore?

“The next phase? No, I don’t think that’s the case at all,” Parcells said. “There aren’t guys that look like him in the league right now. Physically, they don’t compare.

“Burrow is not physically like Josh Allen. Mahomes certainly is not physically like Josh Allen. Neither are Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. Justin Herbert is a little better comparison, but they don’t use him like the Bills use Josh Allen’s feet. Even an athletic guy like Aaron Rodgers, the Packers don’t use him like that.”

To Parcells’ point, saying that Allen is helping to revolutionize the position would suggest organizations have the ability to find their own version of Allen and replicate what he has done. But teams can’t deploy their quarterbacks like Buffalo has with Allen. They aren’t versatile enough, big enough or intrepid enough.

Asked whether Allen represents a new wave or a different creature, Cosell compared him to a groundbreaking superstar most football historians consider among the finest three ever to play his position.

“Years and years ago,” said Cosell, “people might have asked if Randy Moss was going to be the wide receiver prototype, but there’s just not a lot of guys like Randy Moss. How many guys will there really be like Josh Allen? Not many.

“There might be someone else, but I don’t think that in 15 years half the quarterbacks in the NFL are going to play like Josh Allen.”

Like the Randy Moss comparison.  Was listening to Nck Cascerio of the Houston Texans that was on the Pats staff when they got Randy Moss.  He said as soon as he landed in Foxboro they knew he would fit despite all the bad press.  One thing he said was Randy was one of the smartest football players he has ever meet.  Look at Josh, the guy is as football smart as anyone.  Randy Moss a true physical specimen, so is Josh.  One thing Belichek always said, one trait to always look for is intelligence.

What really separates them are their intelligence and work ethic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

An all-intergalactic athlete they say????

Eq_FnEVUUAAQ3sw.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Excellent article on The Athletic today. I'll post just the opening, but it's a long and great read. Highly recommended.

The NFL had never seen anything like him.

Randall Cunningham was all sinew and slither, a human elastic band who could loop and snap on every run or pass. Sports Illustrated labeled him “The Ultimate Weapon.” Vapor trails whooshed from the Eagles quarterback as he leaped, arm cocked, across the cover of its 1989 NFL preview edition.

“He was a nightmare,” Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts said.

Make Cunningham two inches taller, 25 pounds heavier and willing to truck a linebacker and you’ve got Josh Allen. Thirty-three years after Cunningham’s skill set was deemed nonpareil and the future of the sport, Allen has looked ultimate-r.

“John Madden was fixated by Josh Allen,” said Los Angeles Times reporter Sam Farmer, who communicated regularly with Madden until the football icon’s December death. In texts, Madden referred to Allen as “an animal,” “a beast” and “worth the price of admission.”

“Josh Allen is unusual,” said Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells, the NFL’s all-decade coach for the 1990s. “There are not many who come along like this guy.”

Allen wasn’t voted to the Pro Bowl last year and never has led the league in a conventional passing statistic, but he enters 2022 as the Super Bowl favorite’s wickedest weapon and the leading candidate for MVP. But what if Allen is more than that? What if his unique combination of rocketry, elusiveness and verve can transcend being the man of the moment to become a quarterback for the ages?

He is already part of a young quarterback generation that has made coaches reimagine the game.

Patrick Mahomes won an MVP Award at 23 years old, Lamar Jackson at 22. Joe Burrow led the Bengals to the Super Bowl in his second season. Justin Herbert, also entering his third year, is a popular choice in the “what one player would you build your team around” conversation.

Within that group, however, Allen might possess the most complete array of desired traits: size, arm strength, accuracy, running ability, football IQ, character and ambition.

“We’ve seen moments where Josh has put that all together,” said Hall of Fame quarterback and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner. “When he does, I mean, he’s as unique as anybody that we’ve seen play the position.

“When you add the unicorn running skills and the size that goes with it, your mind’s blown at all the possibilities with Josh.”

Freaking Athletic charges to access the article. Already pay for Buff News...

Edited by Buffalo68
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Brady might have the GOAT career wrapped up and out of reach but Allen has the potential to put up a GOAT season. 6,000 yards and 60 TD's

As long as he can lead the Bills to a Lombardi trophy then it won't matter what his individual stats are. I know they will be good but whatever gets that Super Bowl championship and parade in Buffalo is all that matters.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yet not in the top 10 of the NFL's best players......hmmmm

Because people look at his stats and don't watch him play is my guess. 

Similar how nick Wright grades him only based on his qbr.

Once he saw what he can do, he changed his tune quick. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Most of the players who could match Josh Allen's skillset are playing basketball.

If salaries and endorsement deals keep going up with guaranteed contracts some of those multisport players may consider NFL.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Most of the players who could match Josh Allen's skillset are playing basketball.

If salaries and endorsement deals keep going up with guaranteed contracts some of those multisport players may consider NFL.

Money isn't the only factor that keeps top athletes away from football. In football, you have to take hits. It's more of a physical fight than any other ball sport outside of rugby.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

The story is written by Timmy Graham, which means it's going to be long. This guy really needs an editor. Very little that we aren't aware of. FWIW: This story reads like a total ballwash.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

29 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Money isn't the only factor that keeps top athletes away from football. In football, you have to take hits. It's more of a physical fight than any other ball sport outside of rugby.

You're forgetting soccer. Do you see how bad some of those guys get hurt?

2Hi0.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, notwoz said:

The story is written by Timmy Graham, which means it's going to be long. This guy really needs an editor. Very little that we aren't aware of. FWIW: This story reads like a total ballwash.

I enjoyed the read.

I did not find it too long.

You say "very little that we aren't aware of", but I had never heard the Parcells quotes, the Phil Simms quotes, or the John Madden quotes. I, personally, thought it was pretty cool to hear what a few legends of the game think of Josh -- particularly the stuff about Madden, which I hadn't heard before.

To each their own.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I enjoyed the read.

I did not find it too long.

You say "very little that we aren't aware of", but I had never heard the Parcells quotes, the Phil Simms quotes, or the John Madden quotes. I, personally, thought it was pretty cool to hear what a few legends of the game think of Josh -- particularly the stuff about Madden, which I hadn't heard before.

To each their own.

John Madden's been dead since December 2021. He dug up those quotes from some long-ago story. 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Nothing new here for any Bill fans.

One other attribute of Josh Allen, his teammates and his fan base genuinely love him, he was made for WNY.

Thank God we signed him when we did, try doing the contract now, good luck.

this!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

John Madden's been dead since December 2021. He dug up those quotes from some long-ago story. 

Wait, really? Madden's dead? 🙄

His opinion of Allen was new information to me, and I would bet it's new information to most who read it. I don't ever recall hearing it before. Do you?

You seem grumpy. I hope everything's okay.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CSBill said:

And it has made such things free. 

The change has not come without a cost.

The rise of free articles on the internet has led to the death of newspapers across the country, the defunding of numerous publications' sports departments, and the decline in quality in journalism across the spectrum.

Those outlets that still provide quality journalism are often only able to pay their journalists by charging a subscription fee. Many people, myself included, are happy to pay that fee in order to support those journalists and have access to that quality material.

Those that complain about paywalls for articles are often also the first in line to complain about the downfall of journalism in America and the poor quality of sports content. Can't have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

The rise of free articles on the internet has led to the death of newspapers across the country, the defunding of numerous publications' sports departments, and the decline in quality in journalism across the spectrum.

Those outlets that still provide quality journalism are often only able to pay their journalists by charging a subscription fee. Many people, myself included, are happy to pay that fee in order to support those journalists and have access to that quality material.

Those that complain about paywalls for articles are often also the first in line to complain about the downfall of journalism in America and the poor quality of sports content. Can't have it both ways.

Amen

8 hours ago, Buffalo68 said:

Freaking Athletic charges to access the article. Already pay for Buff News...

A little trick to try if you have an iPhone. 
Click the article. When the membership offer comes up, click the small A large A in the address bar (or newer iPhones will say “reader available”). It bypasssed the paywall for me and I could read the whole article. 
I use this often when I want to read something without all the annoying banners, ads, and pop up’s.

Edited by UncleMonkeyHead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Nevermind the ABSOLUTE NECESSITY of objective journalism to a functioning democracy. Or for that matter, a populace able to discern fact from fiction, and priority from frivolity. 

Nonetheless, I like the reporting I read from The Athletic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I encourage Bills fans to take a step back and simply enjoy whatever run we have with Josh.  The “we have to win the SB this year or the season is a failure” mentality is, in my own insignificant opinion, unhealthy.

As the article suggests, JA is probably a once-in-a-lifetime talent — not a trend of NFL QBs into the future.  If things progress as they should, the championships will follow given the strong organizational structure in Buffalo.

I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

I encourage Bills fans to take a step back and simply enjoy whatever run we have with Josh.  The “we have to win the SB this year or the season is a failure” mentality is, in my own insignificant opinion, unhealthy.

As the article suggests, JA is probably a once-in-a-lifetime talent — not a trend of NFL QBs into the future.  If things progress as they should, the championships will follow given the strong organizational structure in Buffalo.

I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this.

This is where I'm at. I just want to watch great football. Their accomplishments don't really mean anything to me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.