Bills cuts

Chandler#81

33 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I absolutely see your point. I wanted more on the offensive side of the ball (particularly along the Oline) as well. However, I wanted that defensive line fixed even more. One of the Bills' greatest weaknesses last year was their run defense. They needed a drastic overhaul to fix that and improve the pass rush at the same time. Everyone likes to point out the Pittsburgh and Jax games as evidence of offensive failure last year. They lost those games because they didn't play well, not because they needed more talent. I look at the losses to Tennessee, Indianapolis, and the first NE game where they got run over. Not because they didn't play well, but because they needed more talent.

Nearly everyone looks at the total running yards gained in that game. That total is basically all the yards they gained. That loss was on the Bill's offense. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

They do seem to be giving Josh the Aaron Rodgers treatment with the seeming disdain for spending any high draft pick on offensive weaponry.

Is a second round pick not a high draft pick? Or, are you just meaning first round picks?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Why not? Is Singletary an All-Pro?

If you choose a running back in the top 3 rounds he'd better be your starter for the next four years. Just my personal opinion. Otherwise, what's the point? Blackshear could've easily handled being the third-string. Could've drafted our backup Tight End or Offensive Lineman with that pick.

So it was a mistake for the Saints to draft Alvin Kamara because Mark Ingram was the starter the year he was drafted.

What a pointless draft pick by the Saints right?

They do seem to be giving Josh the Aaron Rodgers treatment with the seeming disdain for spending any high draft pick on offensive weaponry.

Why do that with Diggs in his prime and Davis appearing ready to break out?  Not to mention Shakir looks like a steal.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I do think, just speaking to this year, they were in a rough spot in the draft with the early run on wideouts in the 1st.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Extrapolate his numbers out and you'd get 2201 yards from scrimmage (1494 rushing and 707 receiving), and 9-10 TDs.  Which would have been more yards than MJD and Rice had that year, but fewer TDs. 

His 6.6 yards per touch was considerably higher than any other running back that season.   

I mean, you can’t exactly go by that. The fact is they played 16 games that season. The other players were on the field for those game where as Fred was not. He broke down. Probably from being used too much where as the others did not. 

using this logic is like saying, if only MJD or Rice would have broken 50 more tackles throughout the year they would have ended up with 600 yards more than they had. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Anyone else been cut today besides OJ Howard and Duke Johnson?  I don’t have the time to scroll through 29 pages.

These threads are much better with a pinned post or a locked topic with the cuts and one for discussion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They haven’t stocked the weapon closet like the Bengals have, but Allen (1), Diggs (1+), Cook (2), Knox (3), Davis (4), Singletary (3), Moss (3) were all fairly highly drafted.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

The Patriots* lost their exceptional O-line coach Carmen Bracillo to the Raiders, along with Josh McDaniels. Their O-line coach is now Matt Patricia, who is also their (sorta) OC. The days of the dominant, silk-purse-from-a-pigs-ear O-line of the Pats* is over. The Pats* could not keep Mac & Cheese protected against the Raiders, and Panthers second string pass rush. 

Well the Pats have cut 2 TE'S so far and neither one was the above.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Honest question. On paper is the offense better, the same, or worse than last year? At this point I’d say the same. Crowder should be ok and Shakir has played well in preseason. Scaffold should be a solid replacement for Williams. The RB group seems better with Cook and a healthy Moss. TE group is a mess again. I had high hopes for Howard and some dynamic two TE sets.

For me it will come down to three key things. Is Bates the real deal? Is Davis a true #2? Is Dorsey a competent OC?

A lot of it is potential.  

The Bills Offense has the potential to be much better than last year.  Also with the potential to be less dependent upon Josh Allen.  

-Bills OL hinges on Bates and Brown's development.  Saffold, even at his age, is an upgrade over LG last year.  Quessenberry is an upgrade as swing tackle and is likely at least on par with RT last year if he the starter.  Kromer is a massive upgrade in coaching.  

-WR room hinges upon Davis and McKenzie.  I'm comfortable with that.  This unit has the potential to be much more explosive than last year.  

-RB is much improved.  Singletary in a contract year, healthy Moss and the addition of James Cook.  

-TE room is basically the same.  It is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why do that with Diggs in his prime and Davis appearing ready to break out?  Not to mention Shakir looks like a steal.

No kidding.  Don’t forget decent dollars to Beasley and Sanders in FA.  They idea that we have Josh working with scraps at WR is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

It is reasonable to say that the Bills' offense cost them a few wins last year. But it certainly wasn't responsible for "most" of their losses, as you claim. And most importantly, it wasn't responsible for giving up 42 points to the Chiefs in the season deciding matchup.

While that is true the two heavy score losses you could argue was on the defense - Tampa and Tennessee were against very good teams. TEN was a #1 seed, Tampa was the reigning world champ. Before the season if someone said those 2 are losses you'd have wiped your face, shrugged and said let's play the other 15 I fancy our chances. 

The third heavy defensive score - Indy - the offense also managed only a putrid 15 points and we had special teams gaffs. The defense folded in the second half but they were not the only reason for that loss. The got put in a hole. 

The issue is the offensive losses - Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and to a lesser extent New England came against teams there was really no excuse for Buffalo to lose against. They are teams we had a heavy talent advantage on. 

So in the full context I blame the offensive issues more than the defensive ones for us not being the #1 seed. But I completely accept the defense in the regular season and playoffs had failings of its own. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Nearly everyone looks at the total running yards gained in that game. That total is basically all the yards they gained. That loss was on the Bill's offense. 

I'm not saying the offense didn't have a hand in it. However, the defense struggled against the run, particularly in key situations, like they did in numerous games.

I look at it this way: The offense had the talent last year to play at an elite level in every game. When they didn't, it was because they didn't execute well, not because they didn't have enough talent. The defense had the talent to play at a high level against weaker teams and those that didn't run the ball well. They struggled against good running teams because they didn't have the talent to raise their game to an elite level.

We can agree to disagree.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Bills cuts
2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not saying the offense didn't have a hand in it. However, the defense struggled against the run, particularly in key situations, like they did in numerous games.

I look at it this way: The offense had the talent last year to play at an elite level in every game. When they didn't, it was because they didn't execute well, not because they didn't have enough talent. The defense had the talent to play at a high level against weaker teams and those that didn't run the ball well. They struggled against good running teams because they didn't have the talent to raise their game to an elite level.

We can agree to disagree.

If I remember correctly the *Pats gained about 220 yards total in that game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.