Bills cuts

Chandler#81

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. I think up front they needed more talent. Granted they didn't play well either. But I just don't think they were good enough. I banged the "Feliciano is a bum" drum pretty hard for three years before the team caught up. 

I won't disagree with you here. I was pretty vocal about upgrading both the Dline and the Oline during free agency and the draft. But, tbf, it was a game of musical chairs along the Oline last year, with their best five starting linemen playing together in only five games. Their lack of depth probably hurt them more than the actual talent level of their best five. I think, if the Oline stays healthy this year, and with the addition of Kromer, they will be fine. I don't believe I would be able to say that if they were still fielding last year's Dline.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nosejob said:

I thought Wydermeyer could turn into something. I don't understand why they cut him so early when we got a fistful of Olinemen who were never going to make it and are gonna be gone. The Pats will probably make him a star.

The Patriots* lost their exceptional O-line coach Carmen Bracillo to the Raiders, along with Josh McDaniels. Their O-line coach is now Matt Patricia, who is also their (sorta) OC. The days of the dominant, silk-purse-from-a-pigs-ear O-line of the Pats* is over. The Pats* could not keep Mac & Cheese protected against the Raiders, and Panthers second string pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

Cutdown day:

Where a bunch of fans freak out over who the Bills cut and -- assuming that every GM in the league loves our fringe roster guys as much as we Bills fans do -- swear those players will get scooped up immediately by other teams.....only for 99% of them to easily make it through to the practice squad.

Fun times.

Screen name checks out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Why not? Is Singletary an All-Pro?

If you choose a running back in the top 3 rounds he'd better be your starter for the next four years. Just my personal opinion. Otherwise, what's the point? Blackshear could've easily handled being the third-string. Could've drafted our backup Tight End or Offensive Lineman with that pick.

A lot of people are going to be surprised at how explosive Cook makes our Offense.  

We didn't just add a running back with that pick.  He's a RB/WR hybrid. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Why not? Is Singletary an All-Pro?

If you choose a running back in the top 3 rounds he'd better be your starter for the next four years. Just my personal opinion. Otherwise, what's the point? Blackshear could've easily handled being the third-string. Could've drafted our backup Tight End or Offensive Lineman with that pick.

I think you answered both my and your own question.  Your "personal opinion" carries little weight in the Bills' FO, and apparently with the rest of the NFL world as well, because nobody viewed that pick as one to supplant Singletary as a starter in 2022.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Could I at least pretend? It makes so much more sense that way.

I watched OJ Simpson in the rock pile with my dad. Still got his rookie card.

Character matters.  I hope I'm wrong about Cook.  No OJ in talent and hopefully not in morals.  but he's definitely not as intelligent.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They lost maybe one game because they got ran over(home against the Colts)… the inability to stop the run cry from fans is/was highly overrated… they lost most games in the regular season last year because their offense went into the toilet and couldn’t score points.

This is simply not true.

The Bills had six regular season losses in 2021.

In three of them, the Bills gave up 34, 41, and 33 points. 

In three of them, the Bills gave up 9, 14, and 23 points.

So at best, that sure looks like they lost as many games due to poor defensive performance as they lost due to poor offensive performance.

The tiebreaker, though, would certainly be the Chiefs game, in which they scored 36 points but gave up 42. I know, I know, you somehow blame the offense for that loss, despite all reasonable evidence (including the game the following week where the Bengals advanced to the Super Bowl by holding those same Chiefs to 24 points) pointing to the contrary.

It is reasonable to say that the Bills' offense cost them a few wins last year. But it certainly wasn't responsible for "most" of their losses, as you claim. And most importantly, it wasn't responsible for giving up 42 points to the Chiefs in the season deciding matchup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

This is not true.  MJD had 1600 yards rushing and nearly 2000 yards from scrimmage that year .  Ray Rice had over 1300 rushing and over 2000 yards from scrimmage.  There were several RBs that were better than Fred Jackson in 2011.    

Extrapolate his numbers out and you'd get 2201 yards from scrimmage (1494 rushing and 707 receiving), and 9-10 TDs.  Which would have been more yards than MJD and Rice had that year, but fewer TDs. 

His 6.6 yards per touch was considerably higher than any other running back that season.   

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I watched OJ Simpson in the rock pile with my dad.  Character matters.  I hope I'm wrong about Cook.  No OJ in talent and hopefully not in morals.  but the's definitely not as intelligent.

You base this opinion of Cook’s character and intelligence on what?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I see it from a different perspective...maybe it's wrong, maybe it's right.  

They have an understanding and more in depth knowledge of each player.  They see them in the film room, practice field, weight room, personal lives etc....

Doesn't mean they will be right but they're basing it off of more intimate knowledge than we have.  

Doesn't mean we can't discuss it as fans on a board, I just think it's weird to always slant and focus to the negative side. 

I think Sammy Watkins is a perfect example.  We didn't know until a few years later when Watkins admitted being hammered every night, rubbed teammates the wrong way and didn't want to be here.  At the time of the trade, Beane was ripped.  I know another inside story for the baseball fans on one big trade that happened years ago.

To be clear, I never ripped them for the Watkins trade. I expected it. I also don't always slant to the negative. There are plenty of Bills moves over the years I have really liked... some that have majorly paid off:

hiring McDermott; trading a 1st for Stefon Diggs; signing Micah Hyde; drafting Dawson Knox, Tre White, Ed Oliver and Taron Johnson, signing Mario Williams, drafting Cordy Glenn.... etc

and some that I loved that didn't work out:

drafting Shaq, signing Quinton Spain, signing Tyler Kroft, extending Fitz etc..

There have also been lots of moves I haven't liked that haven't paid off.... and the very occasional one (*cough* drafting Josh Allen) that I didn't like that has paid off very well. 

The point being I don't start from a position that I must be on the positive or the negative side. I just say what I see. I get some wrong, but I have a pretty good hit rate too. So does this front office, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. But doesn't stop me having a different opinion than them. This week more than any other has shown they are not infallible. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

And coaching staff… but your missing the point, they were in KC because their offense faltered for several games in the regular season… if that games in Buffalo I suspect the Bills win.

Are you sure it wasn't any of the three losses that were attributable to the DEFENSE that had them traveling to KC? That doesn't quite fit your narrative, I suppose.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

They lost maybe one game because they got ran over(home against the Colts)… the inability to stop the run cry from fans is/was highly overrated… they lost most games in the regular season last year because their offense went into the toilet and couldn’t score points.

But it wasn't overrated. They literally graded out as one of the worst defenses against top 15 rushing teams and had difficulty stopping the run in key situations in numerous games. They gave up an average of 160 YPG in their losses. They were not good and it did cost them. 

I am not disagreeing about the lack of upgrade along the Oline. I wanted it as well. But don't think for a second that the Dline did not drastically need an upgrade in talent.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, skibum said:

No Mancz?

12 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Noticed that too. He's got to be a lock for the team, so some practice players aren't making it.

Van Roten? Cam Phillips? McCloud?

The Mancz is a puzzlement.  Maybe there will be a guy going to IR.  Could it be Mancz, he was injured but I thought it was reported

it wasn't bad?

Honest question. On paper is the offense better, the same, or worse than last year? At this point I’d say the same. Crowder should be ok and Shakir has played well in preseason. Scaffold should be a solid replacement for Williams. The RB group seems better with Cook and a healthy Moss. TE group is a mess again. I had high hopes for Howard and some dynamic two TE sets.

For me it will come down to three key things. Is Bates the real deal? Is Davis a true #2? Is Dorsey a competent OC?

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I watched OJ Simpson in the rock pile with my dad.  Character matters.  I hope I'm wrong about Cook.  No OJ in talent and hopefully not in morals.  but the's definitely not as intelligent.

sure and on what do you base your opinion that Cook is “dumb as rock?” I assume you’ve spoken to him? His family members? Got a hold of his report card perhaps?

Edited by JoPoy88

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

To be clear, I never ripped them for the Watkins trade. I expected it. I also don't always slant to the negative. There are plenty of Bills moves over the years I have really liked... some that have majorly paid off:

hiring McDermott; trading a 1st for Stefon Diggs; signing Micah Hyde; drafting Dawson Knox, Tre White, Ed Oliver and Taron Johnson, signing Mario Williams, drafting Cordy Glenn.... etc

and some that I loved that didn't work out:

drafting Shaq, signing Quinton Spain, signing Tyler Kroft, extending Fitz etc..

There have also been lots of moves I haven't liked that haven't paid off.... and the very occasional one (*cough* drafting Josh Allen) that I didn't like that has paid off very well. 

The point being I don't start from a position that I must be on the positive or the negative side. I just say what I see. I get some wrong, but I have a pretty good hit rate too. So does this front office, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. But doesn't stop me having a different opinion than them. This week more than any other has shown they are not infallible.

I wasn't referring to you.  I read all your posts because I respect your insight.  You give a balanced take and don't slant one way or another.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We lost Sanders and Bessley both of whom were past their best.... the question is have we improved at all on offense? To my mind we have three legit threats - Diggs, Davis and Knox. The rest of our offensive weapons for Josh are JAGs until proven otherwise. I like McKenzie a lot have high hopes he truly breaks out. I liked the Shakir pick a lot too... but they are both still in the gotta prove it territory. If any of our three main guys go down do we have enough people to dictate matchups? 

They do seem to be giving Josh the Aaron Rodgers treatment with the seeming disdain for spending any high draft pick on offensive weaponry.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.