Bills cuts

Chandler#81

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Maybe Gilliam comes in for that, but he isn’t really “blocking TE size”, either.  Maybe you are right that they’ll bring in a blocker.

Gilliam can block though. For a smaller guy he does a hell of a job. But he is more the kind of TE blocker you use when you are running something clever to the outside. If you just want to go straight up power and drive the ball up inside that isn't his game, he won't help you much there. If the Bills are determined to stick with a primarily outside zone scheme then maybe they think he is sufficient and they will just bring in an extra OL in third and short which is what they pretty much did last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, you’re just a headline reader, eh? Maybe someday you’ll actually follow the sport. Quessenberry was a lock from the moment of his signing.

Sometimes the off-season is better around here. You don't see the likes of SL, RJR and A7.

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I hope that I’m wrong, but Morris is pretty small for a number 2 TE.  He seems to be built a little like Charles Clay, hopefully he can contribute some as a receiving TE, but he isn’t likely to be blowing defenders off the line in the run game.  

While Sweeney seems able to catch a few passes here and there, I don’t think he is much of a threat and I don’t think he is a very good run blocker- maybe a year removed from a serious COVID bout, he will be stronger?

I think Morris is kept in case Knox is injured.  He probably is one of the guys that doesn't dress every week.

The only thing about Sweeney is they feel he can be stronger and Kromer helps his blocking.

If it isn't that, I don't know what the plan is.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No, my qualm is that they’ve clearly prioritized defense and defensive depth over offense…. obviously every team has a drop from starters to back ups… there is a steep drop for the Bills at certain offensive positions. (WR, TE, Tackle)

Your "clearly prioritized" is another man's "responsibly addressed."  You refuse to acknowledge and/or poo-poo any moves on offense as "not good enough" for your liking, but it is "clear" that Beane emphasizes both sides of the ball in his offseason activities.

I empathize with you.  You act like it doesn't mean anything to you, but you participate in nearly every thread and repeat the same things over and over and over.  It must be extremely frustrating.

Cheer up, buddy.  The Bills will win a few games this year and perhaps you'll find some joy in it.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I hope that I’m wrong, but Morris is pretty small for a number 2 TE.  He seems to be built a little like Charles Clay, hopefully he can contribute some as a receiving TE, but he isn’t likely to be blowing defenders off the line in the run game.  

While Sweeney seems able to catch a few passes here and there, I don’t think he is much of a threat and I don’t think he is a very good run blocker- maybe a year removed from a serious COVID bout, he will be stronger?

That is what they used Doyle for last year.  When you needed to block a guy - bring in the extra lineman - especially as Doyle was athletic enough to slip out for a completion if needed.

Morris was doing a lot of blocking from the H-Back role and split out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Or they plan to still with Tommy Doyle... Or maybe even Spencer Brown in that role. 

Just keep in mind, Spencer Brown played TE in high school 😉

2. A multi-sport background

Brown competed in football, basketball, golf, and track at Lenox High School in his hometown Lenox, Iowa. The school, nestled in a town with a population of 1,407 as of 2010, fielded an eight-player team.

Brown played tight end in addition to fighting through double teams to rack up 17 sacks as a senior and earned first-team all-state honors.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/spencer-brown-nfl-draft-tackle-northern-iowa

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

We had one of the best offenses in the league and didn't lose anyone besides Cole, who was on his way out anyways.  We invested with two rookies that seem to be solid pickups, and a savvy vet WR in Crowder in case McKenzie isn't up to snuff.

I'm really not worried. 

They lost Daboll and Sanders too. May not be enough to worry but certainly enough to be concerned. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This past week has been one of the worst of Beane's GM reign. And I 100% bet he would tell you that himself in private. Had to trade a guy he invested a 2nd rounder and a trade up in for a 5th, with him publicly admitting he got the character and talent evaluation wrong. Had to cut a drafted punter after it transpired there was an outstanding off field incident that the Bills were not aware of (not blaming him, just setting out the facts) and then he has to cut a guy he gave a 1 year contract and kicked the cap can down the road with a dummy year for this past March, his biggest offseason offensive weapon acquisition because he couldn't beat out a 2nd year UDFA and Tommy freaking Sweeney. 

I am not putting Beane on the hotseat or anything ridiculous like that but this has been one of his worst weeks and he would tell you that himself. One of the things I like the most about Beane is when he screws up he very publicly owns it. He owns his mistakes while people on here defend them. 

Still love Beane but this is on point. It's been a brutal 2022 for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Still love Beane but this is on point. It's been a brutal 2022 for him.

Again with the hyperbole.  He had a rough week.  One bad draft pick he got something for three years later, another bad draft pick he had to cut for reasons out of his control, and a 1-year FA signing that didn't pan out.

Why do some insist upon acting as though this is a disaster?

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.