Anybody Concerned About Our Defensive Backfield?

Irv

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The sky isn’t falling.  Our Safeties were just named 1st and 2nd team all pros, have one of the best Nickel CB’s in the league, and reports of Tre’s demise are largely over reported.  He may be out a few games, but we didn’t have him for the last four games of last year nor the playoffs.  Dane did just fine.  Bedford and Elam will be fine.  We don’t face KC until week 6.  

The Ravens were the 32nd rated passing offense last year, and we upgraded our run defense with Settle, Jones, and Phillips.  Oh and we have this wrecking crew of a DE named Von.

I know we hoped Tre would be there for the opener, but hope is not lost.

I don’t think anyone said that the sky is falling, just that there is reason for concern.  The addition of Miller is certainly where I expect improvement to come from, especially playoff Miller. He seemed to throttle back last regular season with the Rams, then opened it up for the playoffs.

I wouldn’t read too much into the games with out Tre last season. We won the ones against Zach Wilson, Mac Jones (2), Cam Newton and Matt Ryan. We lost close ones to Tom Brady  and Mahomes, giving up 33 and 42. We don’t need a healthy Tre to beat Wilson or Jones, but he’d sure help against the top QBs. 

The backups and youth at S and CB are at best unproven. All is not lost to be sure, but there’s enough uncertainty to make me concerned. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Honestly, I can understand the concern, but I don't share it.  Our backfield survived pretty well (until KC) with Wallace and Jackson starting last year.  I think Benford/Elam can give us Levi-level play or something close to it, and we should still be seeing incremental improvements from Taron Johnson and Dane - they are still young dudes.  I think our CBs should be competent, and I expect our star safeties will be ready to go by the start of the season.  I think this is already a solid to above-average group, that can go to a dominant position group if and when Tre White comes back (healthy).

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Irv said:

I'm a little worried.  Both Safety's are banged up and are not that young.  We have White out for who knows how long.  He might come back less than 100%.    We might be starting a rookie CB on one side.  The other CB doesn't have a lot of experience.  Just in our division, we make fun of Tua here a lot, but Waddle, Gisecki, and Hill are no jokes.   How will we defend Kupp?  Nervous.  

Maybe the first few games things might get squirrely…but our coaches will be sure to give them what they can do…

This is, unequivocally, a Super Bowl roster and the secondary is going to be a huge strength of this team once they settle in…

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think anyone said that the sky is falling, just that there is reason for concern.  The addition of Miller is certainly where I expect improvement to come from, especially playoff Miller. He seemed to throttle back last regular season with the Rams, then opened it up for the playoffs.

I wouldn’t read too much into the games with out Tre last season. We won the ones against Zach Wilson, Mac Jones (2), Cam Newton and Matt Ryan. We lost close ones to Tom Brady  and Mahomes, giving up 33 and 42. We don’t need a healthy Tre to beat Wilson or Jones, but he’d sure help against the top QBs. 

The backups and youth at S and CB are at best unproven. All is not lost to be sure, but there’s enough uncertainty to make me concerned. 

Barley, good points.  The flip side is we should have Dane, Taron, Poyer, and Hyde.  The wildcard is simply Elam or Bedford and Elam will probably get it.

The Rams are a test, but to you’re point are the Titans and Ravens really a test.  Until Tua proves hes for real even with Hill, I am reserved in judgment they are a threat.

KC is our first real threat.  That’s why that week is critical.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Honestly, I can understand the concern, but I don't share it.  Our backfield survived pretty well (until KC) with Wallace and Jackson starting last year.  I think Benford/Elam can give us Levi-level play or something close to it, and we should still be seeing incremental improvements from Taron Johnson and Dane - they are still young dudes.  I think our CBs should be competent, and I expect our star safeties will be ready to go by the start of the season.  I think this is already a solid to above-average group, that can go to a dominant position group if and when Tre White comes back (healthy).

To you’re point Bear, we’ve been a top 3 pass defense for almost five years.  It’s our run defense that has been mediocre, and Beane improved that in the middle and outside.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Barley, good points.  The flip side is we should have Dane, Taron, Poyer, and Hyde.  The wildcard is simply Elam or Bedford and Elam will probably get it.

The Rams are a test, but to you’re point are the Titans and Ravens really a test.  Until Tua proves hes for real even with Hill, I am reserved in judgment they are a threat.

KC is our first real threat.  That’s why that week is critical.

That’s all fair. I’m not worried about winning the division. If we don’t, then something very unfortunate or unforeseen has happened. My concerns are how tough the AFC is this year. That #1 seed and bye will be huge as there will likely be 7 very good teams in the playoffs for the AFC. Problems in the secondary could keep us from getting that bye.

There also is what that DB squad means in the playoffs. There likely won’t be any easy games or easy QBs in the playoffs (maybe Tannehill, Tua or an old Ryan in the WC round). Still, it’ll be a tough road and I think we need our secondary in good form to get that ring.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am very worried.

We didn't put enough emphasis on the secondary in the 2022 draft.

Bill we moved up in the 1st round, and took a 6th RD pick in the draft.  We took Dane last year, traded back to get Tre in 2017.  Huh?

not picking on you, but yes we did.  Now we have to see it play out.  That’s the crappy thing about drafts as you don’t know for at least two years of you made the right pics.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Unles we’re playing Patrick Mahomes or Tyreek Hill in the playoffs then I’ll never be worried about our pass defense

Burrow and Herbert are the only 2 offenses in the entire NFL I'm worried about playing.  At the moment with no Tre.  Good to great olines (Bengals will be significantly better) that can beat you running it or throwing it to elite weapons.  

If we hadn't revamped the D line I'd throw the Colts and Ravens in there but I can't.   

My expectation is that our boundary corners will struggle early in the year (Dane and Elam) but will slowly come into form. The offense (as it has proven in the past) will carry us while they figure it out and it could lead to some shootouts early in the year. I expect at least 1 or 2 Def holding calls/illegal contact/pass interference every game from the rookie (which is ok). 

But by season end, I think our defense will be galvanized and will be one of the best in the league when it's all said and done, including the secondary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bill we moved up in the 1st round, and took a 6th RD pick in the draft.  We took Dane last year, traded back to get Tre in 2017.  Huh?

not picking on you, but yes we did.  Now we have to see it play out.  That’s the crappy thing about drafts as you don’t know for at least two years of you made the right pics.

sarcasm, dude.

16 hours ago, Irv said:

I'm a little worried.  Both Safety's are banged up and are not that young.  We have White out for who knows how long.  He might come back less than

100%.    We might be starting a rookie CB on one side.  The other CB doesn't have a lot of experience.  Just in our division, we make fun of Tua here a lot, but Waddle, Gisecki, and Hill are no jokes.   How will we defend Kupp?  Nervous.  

The lack of awareness in adequately addressing the DB position for a team with SB aspirations is downright pathetic. Drafting one in the first round is great on the surface but the schedule is very unforgiving this year and I fear Elam's long term development could be ruined if he struggles early which is very likely

Beane and McD love playing 'the smartest guy in the room' card but now with a certain punter situation combined with this and a very dark cloud is hanging over the start of the season less than 2 weeks from now.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The lack of awareness in adequately addressing the DB position for a team with SB aspirations is downright pathetic. Drafting one in the first round is great on the surface but the schedule is very unforgiving this year and I fear Elam's long term development could be ruined if he struggles early which is very likely

Beane and McD love playing 'the smartest guy in the room' card but now with a certain punter situation combined with this and a very dark cloud is hanging over the start of the season less than 2 weeks from now.

Oh look more fearmongering.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.