Chargers Safety Derwin James Massive New Contract

LabattBlue

26 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Re-signing Poyer is a no brainer.  All this "too old, too expensive" talk reminds me of London Fletcher.  We got rid of him and he only played 7 more seasons for the WTF's.

To be fair, not that he was bad, but the back half of Fletcher’s career has long been described as making a boatload of tackles 5-10 downfield.

Regardless, I too have faith a deal gets worked out for 3 main reasons: (1) Poyer wants (and should want ) to be here, (2) Beane is a wizard, and (3) the cap doesn’t exist. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Even before his injury /even before this contract, Poyer should not be extended. Can't keep extending these 30-year-olds. He's had a fine run with the Bills. Let him earn a new contract elsewhere as a *1 and done* with the Bills. Draft a safety in '23.   

• Like (+1) 1

Isn't it tweeting the night away? 

Some players take less to stay with a good team. It is just how much less. Those who chase the mighty dollar in free agency sometimes wind up unhappy for the rest of their playing career. I have taken less money for a better work environment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Unreal. 

We have a 1st and 2nd team all Pro.  Looks like we won't be able to resign either. 

I hope we can though

They've both been some of the best contracts in the nfl. 

No worries. This is what first round picks are for, even if we have to trade up.

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Even before his injury /even before this contract, Poyer should not be extended. Can't keep extending these 30-year-olds. He's had a fine run with the Bills. Let him earn a new contract elsewhere as a *1 and done* with the Bills. Draft a safety in '23.   

Interesting post.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Yeah, that really is the issue.  Good teams have good players, and good players want to get paid.  Beane's strategy in building the Bills has included a few big splash free agents, but he has also depended a lot on acquiring young talent with a lot of upside, and then developing that talent.  Jordan Poyer was one of those.  I had to look it up, but I think he was signed after McDermott was named head coach, but before Beane was hired as GM.  Still, he was a promising young safety with Cleveland, though entirely unproven before Buffalo signed him.  If those young, talented players do develop, they are eventually going to get paid.  GMs of successful teams have to engage in a delicate balancing act to keep their teams on top.  Who do you give a big money deal to get the best bang for your buck, and who do you let go because the money is better spent elsewhere.   I don't envy Beane's position for the challenges he's facing.

I think you team breakdown of where you’re willing to spend money: QB then LT then CB then DL, etc… unfortunately, the Bills believe they can get a smart and good athlete that loves football and teach him the rest… I’d do the same….the two lowest I think are RB and Safety and that’s how you want to build a roster. BTW, slot CB is somewhere in the middle, not to be confused with outside cornerbacks. The good thing is all are millionaires. Just gotta learn how to invest that dough and not spend like an idiot.

Unless, of course, you’re a number one franchise QB… Then the money just comes in like a flood and you’ve got to hire someone to manage your vast fortune…make certain all your checks are cashed, etc….LOL…. Just crazy money for Josh….He ought to getting national commercials this year…. Hopefully he takes away Commercials from Rogers and Mayfield.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

No worries. This is what first round picks are for, even if we have to trade up.

Interesting post.

I agree to an extent.  Ya both are on the wrong side of 30 but you can't expect a younger player to turn into an All Pro.

Even Belicheck has publicly stated how great and interchangeable Hyde and Poyer are. Imo they're the main reason we've had a top 3 D for years and with this DL they might improve. 

3 hours ago, wjag said:

The game GMs play is pretty interesting.  The Chargers have to know that this move puts intense pressure on Beane.  So they pay their guy and put another GM in a bind..

It's a reach to think that this will cause Beane to make a bad decision.  One team making a bad deal doesn't set the market for every other GM.  As good as Poyer has been, he plays a position that is more easily replaced than some others.  Beane will not blow up the long term financial management plan for the team to over pay a safety that is on the downward side of his career (from an age perspective).

To find examples,we only have to look at the crazy contracts that were given to Todd Gurley and Elliot to see that other GM's have not accepted those contracts as setting the market.  In fact, GM's have come to realize that running backs have a short shelf life and replacements are easily found.  If RB's won't sign a reasonable contract, teams are letting them walk and finding their low cost replacements in the middle rounds of the draft or in free agency.

4 hours ago, wjag said:

The game GMs play is pretty interesting.  The Chargers have to know that this move puts intense pressure on Beane.  So they pay their guy and put another GM in a bind..

It puts pressure on them too, they are one year behind us in having to pay their qb so this limits what they can do elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

Poyer just turned 31. He has another few good years left in him. 

Salary cap will be going up exponentially the next 3-4 years to the tune of 20-30 million a year or more.

James contract can be held up but is not really comparable. He can play pretty much any position as a DB...either safety, boundary corner or slot of need be. He also is much younger than Poyer and just coming into his prime.

I doubt it moves the needle much for what Poyer is going to get.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it would be irresponsible for the Bills to keep both Poyer and Hyde beyond this season. Unless one or both are willing to take considerably below-market deals to chase championships, which I don't see as likely. Let Poyer ball out in 2022 and then test the market. Continue to develop the pipeline behind him. One of either Johnson or Hamlin could develop; maybe Johnson already has? I think the money needs to be re-routed to the offense either way (WRs, TEs, and OLs).  

Two All Pro safeties over 30 is a luxury the Bills probably can't afford after this season. And that's okay.

6 hours ago, wjag said:

That's quite the self absorbed point of view.  If the reason for the contract was "I think we should give this guy the most money ever for his position to screw over Beane" then it should be grounds for firing.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, wjag said:

What? They drove up the price on their own guy just so the Bills, who aren't even in their division, have to pay more for Poyer?

That's just the least plausible thing I've heard.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, BTB said:

That's the extension, not the contract.

He's now signed for 5 years and $85M. We'll see how much of that is actually likely to be earned when we see the details.

8 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think its pretty obvious that Poyer isn't getting some large extension if he gets any contract extension at all. This team has a lot of big time players coming up that need to be re-signed. Poyer is also at a disadvantage in this as well. 

The Bills are pretty well positioned with replacements. Yes Jaquan Johnson isn't to his level but he is a replacement level player on a much cheaper contract. Also Poyer is older, its probably not in his best interest to sit out this year, hit FA, and hope some team gives him a large contract after he has been out a full year. 

The best case is Poyer gets either a short extension 1-2 years at moderate money, or he plays out this year, balls out, and becomes a Free Agent and gets a deal similar to Justin Reid or Tyrann Mathieu from another team. 

But…but…but…oh damn you pretty much said it all for me right here.  As much as I love me some Jo Poy, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the man, this is pretty much reality for him. 
I actually believe B Beane will shuffle things around and throw Poyer a bone if at all possible just because that’s the kind of GM and person he is, but only if the accounting works out.  Given the crazy deeply talented roster right now though, that just may not be possible.

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Poyer 4 year 80M

Kind of laughable on its face IMHO at first until one remembers all the +5 yard opposition plays where Poyer flies in with his shoulder down and upends the receiver/runner immediately like a 250 linebacker.   I mean Jo Poy reminds me of another legendary Bills cb who’s son recently won  a SB with TB.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Poyer just turned 31. He has another few good years left in him. 

Salary cap will be going up exponentially the next 3-4 years to the tune of 20-30 million a year or more.

James contract can be held up but is not really comparable. He can play pretty much any position as a DB...either safety, boundary corner or slot of need be. He also is much younger than Poyer and just coming into his prime.

I doubt it moves the needle much for what Poyer is going to get.

Pretty sure you don't know the meaning of the word exponentially.  

Other than that I agree with the rest of your post and what others have said.  Both safeties are over 30.  Edmunds, Oliver, and Knox are all 25 or younger.  You need to pay those guys - assuming they want to keep Edmunds.  If they keep Edmunds and Davis develops into a true #2, then they can draft a safety in the bottom of the first round next year.  If they move on from Edmunds they almost assuredly need to draft MLB in the first round so maybe they go FA to replace Poyer in that case.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.