Ed Oliver vs Aaron Donald Physical Comparison

Stampede

I'm trying not to get too excited over what this defense could be. I just read the article about how Von Miller can elevate Ed's game, and it was eye-opening when you consider the effect Von had on Aaron. From the article, I thought this was quite telling:

...among 49 tackles who played at least 50% of his team’s pass rush snaps, Oliver was 18th with 40 pressures. Now, that’s a far cry from Donald who led all tackles with a whopping 86 pressures, 19 more than No. 2 Jonathan Allen of the Commanders. But comparing Oliver to Donald, who is one of the best defensive players in the history of the NFL, is a bit unfair.
Here’s something to consider, though: Of Donald’s 86 pressures, 45 of them, as well as the 23 he piled up in four playoff games, came AFTER Miller arrived...

Also, consider that Von was only with the Rams for just 12 games, if I'm correct. Plus, our defense is better than the Rams' with Von, IMO. Anyway, I compared the physical attributes of the two as a reminder of how similar they are. Some of Ed's numbers are from his pro day workout.

Ed Oliver Aaron Donald
Height: 6 ft 1.5 in Height: 6 ft.75 in
Weight: 287 lb Weight: 285 lb
40-yard dash:4.73 s 40-yard dash:4.68 s
10-yard split:1.63 s 10-yard split:1.63 s
20-yard split:2.78 s 20-yard split:2.69 s
20-yard shuttle:4.19 s 20-yard shuttle:4.39 s
Three-cone drill:7.15 s Three-cone drill:7.11 s
Vertical jump:36 in Vertical jump:32 in
Broad jump:10 ft Broad jump:9 ft 8 in
Bench press:32 reps Bench press:35 reps

Edited by Stampede
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Miller will definitely help Oliver.  I see Oliver around 8 sacks this year.

They are physically about the same but Donald is more fluid which makes him nearly unstoppable.  Great first step, strength, fluid and great hands.

Oliver is first step and power right now.  If his hands get much better, he will be much more dangerous.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We should just switch them and no one would ever know! 

and I was a big Oliver fan at the draft and still like his potential. But AD is just a different human being. Besides size, there is zero comparison. AD is one of the best players in NFL history. 

Oliver has always made people excited as a pass rusher but never put up the stats, even back to college. Hopefully those sack numbers come this year. Seems to always be in the backfield.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No disrespect to Oliver, but Aaron Donald is best DT and one of top 3 most dominant defensive forces this league has ever seen. 

You mean other than Bruce Smith, Reggie White, or Lawrence Taylor?

Edited by mabden
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, BTB said:

Cmon man. Aaron Donald was all-world before Von arrived, and will continue to be, now that Von is with the Bills.  100% first ballot HoF lock. 

Oliver…a long long long way from being able to even sniff Donald’s jock. 

It would be a long, long way .. I did the calculation and specifically it is 2,612 miles driving between St. John Fisher and the Rams training camp facility. I doubt Sean would allow him to make the trip even if Ed was predisposed to sniffing Aaron's jock.

• Haha (+1) 2

Donald was stud out of the gate and had 9, 11, and 8 sacks his first 3 NFL seasons. No sacks aren't always everything but it was clear he was truly a dominant player from day one and has continued to seemingly get better each year.

Oliver could truly explode this year alongside Miller and a revamped dline but just don't think it's a valid (or fair) comparison at this point when talking about possibly the greatest DT to ever play the game and sure fire HOFer in Donald.

Also have to consider McD and Frazier's rotational philosophy and no guy up front never really getting more than 60% of the snaps each game.

36 minutes ago, BTB said:

Cmon man. Aaron Donald was all-world before Von arrived, and will continue to be, now that Von is with the Bills.  100% first ballot HoF lock. 

Oliver…a long long long way from being able to even sniff Donald’s jock. 

Exactly!  Miller had a cup of coffee in LA (and picked up a ring).  Donald was already all world before that.

This is nuts!!

1 hour ago, Stampede said:

Of Donald’s 86 pressures, 45 of them, as well as the 23 he piled up in four playoff games, came AFTER Miller arrived

1 hour ago, Stampede said:

Also, consider that Von was only with the Rams for just 12 games, if I'm correct

Von only played 8 games in LA.

So 41 of AD's pressures came in the first 9 games. And 45 of them came in the last 8.

So 4.5 pressures per game before Von.  To 5.6 with Von.

Oliver had 40 pressures in 17 games. Which is 2.3 per game. So maybe he'll get 1ish more per game?

Even though they tested similarly athletically, I think Donald is much more powerful and has better pass rush moves. Donald also has to have a low body fat percentage because he’s got washboard abs; that’s sort of unnatural at a squat 285 lbs. 

Donald is a force and one of a kind.

However, I will throw this out there. Last year I was looking them both up and if i remember right Oliver's snap count is around 50% over his career and Donald's is over 80%.

I have to think that if given more opportunities based on what I see of Oliver's game the discussion would be at least a little closer.

I know McD loves his rotation but I would have a hard time taking Von and Oliver out in a big game situation regardless if they had just been in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.