I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

This interview from the NFLN and NFL app asks Sean this question -

"You talk about a standard that you set here. How does Sean McDermott extend the bar of that standard?"

To summarize , McD said that his leadership , as well as player leadership, "particularly Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds."

https://www.nfl.com/videos/sean-mcdermott-on-how-bills-can-accomplish-22-goals-training-camp-practice

Question is asked around the 1 minute mark.

Long story short, I guarantee Edmunds is a Bill for years to come. The staff and player's clearly love him and for McD to say his name above any other defender speaks volumes. 

He has been the QB for a top defense for multiple years. That's a fact 

Personally I agree 

Edit - On deeper thought, thanks to my friend Mary Jane, what if they're not 100% sold on him and this is McDermotts way of sending a message. 

He's clearly not a "rah-rah" type of leader and not very talkative in public M. Maybe they're not sold on his leadership, especially after 13 seconds??

Micah Hyde calling Edmunds a future H.O.Fer - "Number one, he elevates throws for the safeties and for the inside guys so much, because he’s six … nine, it seems like,” Hyde said of the 6-5 Edmunds. “He’s able to get his hands up and whether he’s deflecting tips and overthrows or even making the ball elevate, it helps the safeties out. But then he’s sideline-to-sideline. Run plays, he’s quick as can be. We put him on a tight end, he’s able to hold his own. And he’s only going to get better.

https://blog.siriusxm.com/buffalo-bills-micah-hyde-tremaine-edmunds-nfl-football/

I always suspected his length and raw physical ability had a way bigger impact on the D than we notice watching film

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

You make a good observation, and are probably correct. Coaches favorites are not always players favorites though. I have read lots of love from players for Josh.  Not sure I have ever really seen players speak about Edmunds in a similar manner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If they’re going to extend him, I’d rather they do it before the season.  

If Edmunds was ever going to ball out, it would be behind this DL.  Better to get ahead of the curve if he’s truly who they believe he is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well this is sure to give many Bills fans nightmares now!  Couldn't you wait till morning to post this?

Personally I'm fine with it too.

Doubt it since he is making a grand assumption off a PR interview.

30 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

This interview from the NFLN and NFL app asks Sean this question -

"You talk about a standard that you set here. How does Sean McDermott extend the bar of that standard?"

To summarize , McD said that his leadership , as well as player leadership, "particularly Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds."

https://www.nfl.com/videos/sean-mcdermott-on-how-bills-can-accomplish-22-goals-training-camp-practice

Question is asked around the 1 minute mark.

Long story short, I guarantee Edmunds is a Bill for years to come. The staff and player's clearly love him and for McD to say his name above any other defender speaks volumes. 

Personally I agree 

Yeah, no. You can't even begin to guarantee that anymore than you can guarantee snow on Christmas Day this year.

He didn't even come close to confirming that he's a lock. He did very clearly confirm that he thinks highly of Allen and Edmunds. But that's not the only factor. There's the cap. There's who else they sign. There's his performance this year.

If Edmunds is asking to top the market he's unlikely to be here. If he's willing to take a good but not outstanding offer, he likely will, IMO. Not a sure thing, though. I see Roquan Smith isn't coming to camp. If Edmunds had pulled that, he'd be gone if we go by their regular M.O.

• Agree 2

I don't think this video is much, it was a very casual reference, but as one thread pointed out on the Pat McAfee show, the cap isn't real so long as your owner is rich and Terry isn't hurting. I do not recall a player that created such division from the scouts, coaches, media, and fans. All of the former think Edmunds is one of the best MLB's in the game. Throw out the splash play argument and I will say it is hard for us fans to measure what it's like to have a wacky wavy inflatable tube man running in the low 4.5's whose "thick" (maybe not Zach Wilson thick) but this is no small man. Point being, I don't know if a player existed since Brian Urlacher that eliminated such a large throwing space in the middle of the field. If that is all Edmunds does and has zero splash, it still might be enough in a passing league to be considered an elite leader by those who matter (not us).   

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

So long as Tremaine is paid like his play dictates and not a top 10 MLB is paid at the position I think Bills fans would be fine with that. 

Herein lies the rub.

With highly-drafted QBs on rookie deals, they either get a top tier AAV extension, or they hit the market (or hit the road via trade). There is no middle class with the team who drafts them. Big money or no money. 

Does it work the same for a 1st round MLB? Or is there room for a reasonable, mutually beneficial extension? I was pleasantly surprised by Milano's deal, and he has inarguably outperformed Edmunds to date.  

Edmunds is the defensive captain, the player with the green dot on his helmet. McD’s comments don’t equate to “I guarantee we’re signing him to an extension” they’re just that - comments on Tremaine’s position as a leader. Don’t create contractual absolutes where there are none.

• Like (+1) 1

Not listed in top players under 25. 

Leadership is not unimportant. But leadership without impact plays is not worthy of a top 5 contract which is what he will want. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Edmunds is probably exactly how McDermott draws up his perfect player. We can debate about the lack of big plays forever, but he’s such a professional in everything he does.

He's supposed to be a professional tackler. He doesn't do that well no matter how people want to spin his role on the team. 

The media has already moved on to other playmaking linebackers that are true impact players. 

All that said, he has 17 games to prove he can be an elite player and earn a top dollar contract. I'd pay Knox and Oliver and let Edmunds walk.  Hope he plays well enough to change my mind, because the defense is going to face far better offenses this season as compared to 2021.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I'm in hospital admin, I've praised other members of my exec team in front of other departments and have fired them the same month. I would never throw one of my guys under the bus publicly. That being said, I think Edmunds will get extended.

Um, I'm not sure that has the effect you think/hope it does...those other departments remember, other people in your team, across all levels remember.

Praising someone publicly in such a foundational way as how McD praised Edmund's core personality and the value/leadership they bring, and then firing them for their general performance (not talking fraud or anything) a month later...oof that would give me pause in the future and my antenata would go up anytime I heard praise from that person in the future as a potential red flag.

Kind of like free agents and current players remember. I'm not saying McD is talking about an extension at all, and you can think a player or person is a perfect fit for an organization, but the budget doesn't work, but you can't be disingenuous and succeed in the nfl as a coach or leader.

Saying someone is a great leader and then firing someone a month later for not being a great leader, and not extending a contract of a great leader when that person's value has gone up significantly because of that skill are not the same thing, you can't compare those. 

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not listed in top players under 25. 

Leadership is not unimportant. But leadership without impact plays is not worthy of a top 5 contract which is what he will want. 

He's supposed to be a professional tackler. He doesn't do that well no matter how people want to spin his role on the team. 

The media has already moved on to other playmaking linebackers that are true impact players. 

All that said, he has 17 games to prove he can be an elite player and earn a top dollar contract. I'd pay Knox and Oliver and let Edmunds walk.  Hope he plays well enough to change my mind, because the defense is going to face far better offenses this season as compared to 2021.

His tackle depth was better than Milano. I’m not sure what you mean he doesn’t tackle well? It’s better than most LBs. And he makes a lot of tackles so that should tell you something.

Edmunds grades poorly on analytic sites. I’ve never felt Edmunds was a consistent problem on defense. There are plays I watch back and think Edmunds could’ve been better but it’s not a that pops up often.

His coverage for me is hard to grade because he mostly covers space and not a man. Milano is typically used in that role. 

Edmunds lacks game changing plays. He’s mostly a space eater in this defense. That’s something that is hard to grade for me. I know analytic sites grade him poorly. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.