Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

They’ve made a little push here toward the end but they are Quickly running out of time here and now they just took a penalty with 2:30 left. Ouch. 🤬

i thought that was a pretty damn weak holding call though.

Yup. They picked it up a bit but it was too late. 

They looked like they had zero interest in making the playoffs the vast majority of that game. Disappointing effort. Oh well.

Well, that’s game, and most likely kills any small chance the Sabres had left at the playoffs. But let’s be real, those two 4 game losing streaks back to back in March probably already killed their playoff chances. Just going .500 in that stretch and things are totally different right now.

They made a nice push at the end of the 3rd but it was too late. That’s the type of effort they should have been playing with all 3rd period. They’ve just come up short all season when the pressure was on. But they’re a young team. Hopefully they’ve learned some valuable lessons this season.

I’d still say it was mostly a successful season. They played a meaningful game in April. That’s definitely a step forward. But Playoffs need to be the goal next year, and that starts this offseason by hopefully filling at least a couple holes with meaningful additions.

• Like (+1) 3

well crud.

But hey, when the season started, my take was "finish around 10th and be in the hunt" as a successful year for this crew.

The kids still need a couple years to develop. It's a man's league.

Excited for next year. Great to have a fun team that plays good hockey again.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But hey, when the season started, my take was "finish around 10th and be in the hunt" as a successful year for this crew.

Bingo.

Getting embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs would have served no purpose for this team and I'm glad they're going to have one more year of better draft picks to work with.

With reliable goaltending and more mature consistency next year, this is going to be a fun team to ride along with sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Bingo.

Getting embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs would have served no purpose for this team and I'm glad they're going to have one more year of better draft picks to work with.

With reliable goaltending and more mature consistency next year, this is going to be a fun team to ride along with sooner than later.

Islander fan so perhaps I'm missing the Sabre fan perspective, but my immediate reaction is to disagree with the bolded. Regular season hockey and post season hockey are two different animals. I think there's value in getting to the playoffs for an up and coming team - as the Sabres appear to be - even if it means getting embarrassed.  (btw - I get that the Golden Knights blew up my line of thinking their first year)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Bingo.

What? You play sports to win a championship. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t make the playoffs it is another failed year period. Which cost this team money. PSE is losing tons of money on the Buffalo Sabres. Each year this team doesn’t make the NHL playoffs this hockey team is racking up a huge amount of debt. The Buffalo Sabres are unsellable right now and we are stuck with a ownership with one partner in poor health Kim Pegula and even before Kim health problems PSE isn’t really interested in owning the Buffalo Sabres anymore. Keep it up Buffalo Sabres fans with the losing and this team is going to be in Houston or Portland real fast winning Stanley Cups like the Quebec Nordiques move to Denver Colorado Avalanche than they won a Stanley Cup. Not making the playoffs isn’t a good thing for the Buffalo Sabres in anyway. This comment is as ridiculous as tanking for success ridiculous. I want to be banned from this message board please banned me forget the warnings just flat ban me. Buffalo fans comments like this I want to be banned and cancelled wow not making the playoffs is a good thing for the Buffalo Sabres wow. I need to go into a Time Machine and never come back. Because Buffalo fan has become no standards no holding the players accountable ridiculous in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

What? You play sports to win a championship. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t make the playoffs it is another failed year period. Which cost this team money. PSE is losing tons of money on the Buffalo Sabres. Each year this team doesn’t make the NHL playoffs this hockey team is racking up a huge amount of debt. The Buffalo Sabres are unsellable right now and we are stuck with a ownership with one partner in poor health Kim Pegula and even before Kim health problems PSE isn’t really interested in owning the Buffalo Sabres anymore. Keep it up Buffalo Sabres fans with the losing and this team is going to be in Houston or Portland real fast winning Stanley Cups like the Quebec Nordiques move to Denver Colorado Avalanche than they won a Stanley Cup. Not making the playoffs isn’t a good thing for the Buffalo Sabres in anyway. This comment is as ridiculous as tanking for success ridiculous. I want to be banned from this message board please banned me forget the warnings just flat ban me. Buffalo fans comments like this I want to be banned and cancelled wow not making the playoffs is a good thing for the Buffalo Sabres wow. I need to go into a Time Machine and never come back. Because Buffalo fan has become no standards no holding the players accountable ridiculous in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

No one wants this for you more than me. I'm rooting for you!

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Your a hoot, nobody wants ya banned because the rest of the place always needs a good laugh

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

By holding players accountable do you mean posting senile rants on an anonymous message board?  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

More hot takes with ZERO FACTS

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Don’t even get me started on that arena. Canisius College won’t even play basketball there. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Simon said:

Bingo.

Solid take.  I’m happy with the season and there is much to be excited about going forward.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

When you go back in time make sure to pay attention in 5th grade English when they talk about the importance of paragraph breaks.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, zevo said:

feels good to care again...but this sucks

I recently began following the Sabres after decades long absence. Being the newbie fan basically I feel like i got back  onboard at the absolutely perfect time. 

New goaltender a near miss into the playoffs this season. But Simon mirrored my thoughts.  ...Even if they had gotten in it in all cases was very unlikely they'd have advanced.  

The Sabres needed some offensive swagger last night. And what we saw was almost zilcho. I didn't expect that.

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Simon said:

Bingo.

Yeah, I do not envy whatever team is going to ru into the buzzsaw known as the 2023 Bruins. If the Sabres got that 8th spot and the opening series against the Bruins, taking it to 5 games and not getting completely swept would be the victory there.

We'll get our "first taste of the playoffs" soon enough, I fully believe next year. And we'll get bounced around pretty good. With the age of this team, we are still 2-3 years away from being a force that can make a deep run. But the good news is we are on the right track and on our way. Fun to watch and follow hockey again.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I do not envy whatever team is going to ru into the buzzsaw known as the 2023 Bruins. If the Sabres got that 8th spot and the opening series against the Bruins, taking it to 5 games and not getting completely swept would be the victory there.

We'll get our "first taste of the playoffs" soon enough, I fully believe next year. And we'll get bounced around pretty good. With the age of this team, we are still 2-3 years away from being a force that can make a deep run. But the good news is we are on the right track and on our way. Fun to watch and follow hockey again.

I would have loved for these guys to get a taste of the intensity and physicality of playoff hockey this year even if they got shelled in 4 straight losses rather than have the shock come next year when they just might be able to compete.  Breaking the drought and putting that narrative to bed is as important for the Sabres as it was for the Bills.

I still believe this year was more about assessing the roster and developing the kids rather than the organization's best attempt to win which I have no issue with.  All year I felt that roster decisions were based evaluating Olofsson and Mitts before their contracts were up and more importantly letting Quinn and Peterka learn on the job and develop some chemistry with Cozens.  We would have seen more of Hinostroza and Asplund if Granato was coaching in must win mode.  Letting the kids learn and deciding on new contracts for Mitts or Olofsson is far more important to the future of this team than getting blasted in the playoffs with Hino and Asplund in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.