Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Isles fan here so first off congrats on the dub. Road shutouts aren't easy to come by.

As to the boring hockey, meh. Lamoriello's teams have been defense/goalie-first dating back to his Devils teams. It's a great formula for post-season but can be tough to maintain regular season. Isles have been very competitive since Lou took over and from where I sit it hasn't been boring hockey at all. 

Yes, I hated those Devils teams, too. Winning that way is just an ugly aesthetic. It's the equivalent of three yards and a cloud of dust football. That's not the kind of hockey I want to watch, but if it's your team, naturally, folks find a way to embrace it.

okay here is my novice take on the sabres. They when clicking on all cylinders they are very fun to watch. Fast, gritty and I have learned they are very young in age and NHL experience.

I didn't watch the Islanders game it sounds like you were all on pins and needles. All the informative useful content regarding hockey I receive from reading 2bd. The future is so bright they gotta wear shades 😎

GO SABRES 🙂 The excitement level when they win is paplable. BRING IT 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I hated those Devils teams, too. Winning that way is just an ugly aesthetic. It's the equivalent of three yards and a cloud of dust football. That's not the kind of hockey I want to watch, but if it's your team, naturally, folks find a way to embrace it.

LOL, I have no problem with winning by way of three yards and a cloud of dust either. I'm more interested in winning than I am with style points - and I also think that high scoring football and hockey games are a joke. But I get that I'm probably in the minority on all of this.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

LOL, I have no problem with winning by way of three yards and a cloud of dust either. I'm more interested in winning than I am with style points - and I also think that high scoring football and hockey games are a joke. But I get that I'm probably in the minority on all of this.

I don't think it's a choice between arcade style no defense, high scoring games and cloud of dust minimalism. The former is not a balanced, complex game. Neither alternative is interesting, though lots of points can be superficially distracting. Style is actually a nuanced sensibility if properly cultivated -- and this applies beyond sport.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

well the counter to enjoying more defensively dominated games is the adrenaline that we get when our team scores.  Do blowouts in hockey  happen alll that frequently?

anyway It is a great sport. I think guys who play hockey are VERY attractive too just sayin'

m

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

well the counter to enjoying more defensively dominated games is the adrenaline that we get when our team scores.  Do blowouts in hockey  happen alll that frequently?

anyway It is a great sport. I think guys who play hockey are VERY attractive too just sayin'

m

Might be missing a few chicklets when they smile.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Might be missing a few chicklets when they smile.

the team dentist is a popular guy. True story. I used to have insurance with the San Diego Chargers team dentist when they were here local. Dr Ronald Johnson. He traveled with the team to away games as part of his duty. He knew I was a Bills fan and we'd talk football.  They had sign in sheets and whenever I was there I'd scan it to see if any player I knew was there that day. One time the ex Bills executive  who went to San Diego as General Manager.  was there AJ Smith

ha.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't think it's a choice between arcade style no defense, high scoring games and cloud of dust minimalism. The former is not a balanced, complex game. Neither alternative is interesting, though lots of points can be superficially distracting. Style is actually a nuanced sensibility if properly cultivated -- and this applies beyond sport.

Well in my perfect world every team I root for would be like the Isles from the Cup years - high end skill on offense and defense and toughness too. But that's rare.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Well in my perfect world every team I root for would be like the Isles from the Cup years - high end skill on offense and defense and toughness too. But that's rare.

That really was the end of an era. I actually remember the mid to late 70’s Islanders teams choking in the playoffs when they were every bit as good as those dynasty teams but inexperienced.

The Sabres had some really good teams back then and couldn’t get by the Islanders. I really miss that era of hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Aggravating loss. Getting a point doesn’t really feel like a consolation prize when it comes against a bottom 5 team.

Why do they always seem to struggle against crappy teams?

I like Granato but no Dahlin in the shootout is grotesquely stupid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/26/2023 at 9:08 AM, Beast said:

That really was the end of an era. I actually remember the mid to late 70’s Islanders teams choking in the playoffs when they were every bit as good as those dynasty teams but inexperienced.

The Sabres had some really good teams back then and couldn’t get by the Islanders. I really miss that era of hockey.

The Buffalo Sabres couldn’t get by the New York Islanders for one reason and only one reason Billy Smith. The problem for those good Buffalo Sabres teams is like the present Buffalo Sabres problem goaltending was subpar. We lost to Bernie Parent and Billy Smith. I think the Buffalo Sabres are Stanley Cup champions if Roger Crozier was healthy and if Tim Horton doesn’t die in the car crash. Those two events don’t happen Buffalo Sabres are 1975 Stanley Cup champions. Tim Horton was as strong as a bull the Philadelphia Flyers aren’t taking liberties with Tim Horton on the ice you didn’t mess with Tim Horton. So that freak side show Dave Schultz crap wouldn’t fly with Tim Horton the second greatest NHL defenseman to Bobby Orr. The Buffalo Sabres if they trade for Gilles Meloche from the Cleveland Barons which was rumored at that time in 1977 in Buffalo after the Gerry Desjardins eye injury things  might have been different with the Buffalo Sabres. But from what I understand the Cleveland Barons wanted a top six Buffalo Sabres forward and Punch Imlach thought the asking price was too high in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Aggravating loss. Getting a point doesn’t really feel like a consolation prize when it comes against a bottom 5 team.

Why do they always seem to struggle against crappy teams?

Over the last month or two they've been massacred twice by Philly and once by Columbus.  Hmmmm, where would those 6 points put them in the standings?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.