Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

Every year is a different year. For the Buffalo Sabres fans saying it’s ok not making the playoffs. It’s never ok not making the playoffs. Boston Bruins fan doesn’t talk that way. Even as bad as the New England Patriots were notice you didn’t see Boston fans say it is ok the Buffalo Bills keep winning the AFC East it’s for the best the Patriots. The Patriots weren’t winning anyway maybe next year. It’s good to lose for drafting some Sabres fans would like to have a talk with Sabres fans like that. It’s 12 years and counting same old Sabres. Losing to win is a complete failure and waste of time and money. Don’t forget all the Sabres fans wasted money because the Sabres hockey players weren’t mentally tough enough to step and stand up against the Boston Bruins. The Boston Bruins are the Buffalo Sabres Stanley Cup which is sad. I want the Bruins first round because as a Sabres fan the Sabres need to stand up for themselves against the Boston Bruins.

Again Buffalo Sabres fans saying next season. What happens hypothetically if Tage Thompson gets injured and is out next season? Oh Rasmus Dahlin gets injured? Or the Sabres have 5 goalies get hurt? You don’t plan for that. That is why maybe next year is a myth. Each year is a opportunity to seize the opportunity. Unfortunately the Buffalo Sabres gave away too many games early in the season. I bet the Buffalo Sabres players wish they had those games back now. At the end of the day if the Buffalo Sabres don’t make the playoffs this season it’s another failed year of many too many in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

21 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Every year is a different year. For the Buffalo Sabres fans saying it’s ok not making the playoffs. It’s never ok not making the playoffs. Boston Bruins fan doesn’t talk that way. Even as bad as the New England Patriots were notice you didn’t see Boston fans say it is ok the Buffalo Bills keep winning the AFC East it’s for the best the Patriots. The Patriots weren’t winning anyway maybe next year. It’s good to lose for drafting some Sabres fans would like to have a talk with Sabres fans like that. It’s 12 years and counting same old Sabres. Losing to win is a complete failure and waste of time and money. Don’t forget all the Sabres fans wasted money because the Sabres hockey players weren’t mentally tough enough to step and stand up against the Boston Bruins. The Boston Bruins are the Buffalo Sabres Stanley Cup which is sad. I want the Bruins first round because as a Sabres fan the Sabres need to stand up for themselves against the Boston Bruins.

Again Buffalo Sabres fans saying next season. What happens hypothetically if Tage Thompson gets injured and is out next season? Oh Rasmus Dahlin gets injured? Or the Sabres have 5 goalies get hurt? You don’t plan for that. That is why maybe next year is a myth. Each year is a opportunity to seize the opportunity. Unfortunately the Buffalo Sabres gave away too many games early in the season. I bet the Buffalo Sabres players wish they had those games back now. At the end of the day if the Buffalo Sabres don’t make the playoffs this season it’s another failed year of many too many in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

you have a very busy head writing style. That was a lot to take in.   Regarding the Bruins they are a much better team than the Sabres. Their fans are used to having 

Championship banners.   So they can talk smack in that regard. The Sabres cannot.

wasted money, complete failure blah blah blah that's just piffle.

What if's scenarios are as productive as woulda coulda shouldas......endless loop of negativity in regards to this team reading this post

But a hopeful "Go Sabres" from you  at the end. GOOD. Quit thinkin of all doomsday scenarios. A thoughtful word of advice.  things are looking UP with this team cheer up eh?

Go Sabres 💙💛💙

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

We have the youngest team in the league, and THIS year was never going to be THE year for this organization.  Not even close.

It will probably go down as a relative success, despite missing the playoffs.

Next year should and will be different.  The expectation will 100% be there to make the playoffs and if we don't, there will be questions asking why.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've grown very weary of the "there's always next year" narrative. The way the team finished last year, this year could have been, and should have been "the year." Why not?! January proved they were good enough. 

Thompson grew from a great player to elite. Skinner's game was resurrected once back on the top line. Tuch's game is massively a pleasant surprise. Dahlin's defensive game improved. The middle line guys often stepped-up big time. A young team, yes. But they proved they could beat the top teams in the league. 

It has grown very old how Buffalo teams never fail to disappoint. 

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood. And, I think I'd like to stay that way for awhile. 

• Agree 1

IMHO this rebuild is finally working after what seems like 1,000 tries. They have a good young core that played well this year. Tage Thompson is already one of the best players in the league. Hopefully Levi can prove to be the real deal in goal. So far, he has looked good but its early. Maybe he can do for the Sabres what Shesterkin has done for the Rangers and Sorokin has done for the Islanders. They do need to improve the defense this off season either with FA or the draft. Their young core players are only going to get better. Same is being said of the Senators who are also in the same boat as the Sabres. If they can improve the defense, I think the playoffs are a very good bet for next year. It's April and the Sabres have stayed in the playoff race all year. Even though they will fall short this year when was the last time the Sabres were playing meaningful hockey this late in the season.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I've grown very weary of the "there's always next year" narrative. The way the team finished last year, this year could have been, and should have been "the year." Why not?! January proved they were good enough. 

Thompson grew from a great player to elite. Skinner's game was resurrected once back on the top line. Tuch's game is massively a pleasant surprise. Dahlin's defensive game improved. The middle line guys often stepped-up big time. A young team, yes. But they proved they could beat the top teams in the league. 

A huge part of the dropoff in play has been Dahlin and Tage not being at 100% for awhile.  But it makes me feel even more optimistic for the future because we know what they look like when completely healthy.  Plus you can still expect to see significant jumps in play from Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Power and then add in the young kids like Savoie and Kulich.  Don't even get me started on Devon Levi.

I just don't understand how any Sabres fan can't be anything but super excited for the future

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

well the Sabres win in a shootout! The offense did show more swag tonight. Toughly fought close game. Nice Win!

Levi with 2 clutch stops in the shootout. That had to feel good! atta boy Devon.

keep stacking NHL game experience young man.  the fanbase has your back.

GO SABRES!!!

• Thank you (+1) 4

A win is a win…Detroit playing with reckless abandon.  They certainly have some solid young “pieces” to that team.  I didn’t see all the goals scored against DL, but I did 3 that were “fortunate” goals.  The one that went off Owen’s knee, the Tuch deflection, and I forget the other one (Lyubushkin turnover?).  The kid is going to take his lumps, but I love what I’m seeing thus far.  He’s fun to watch.

So I’m hearing that Tage has fractured ribs?  Anyone else catch this rumor?  Man, I cracked a couple ribs last spring building a retaining wall, and I couldn’t even breathe without pain.  

Dahlin did not play well.  I think he’s pretty well wiped from playing 30 minutes/game.  Owen Power was awesome tonight.  

Just win babay!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

That was a good, hard fought win against a team that is in a pretty similar point in their rebuild to the Sabres so I felt like that was a good test.  It's hard to get too mad when they don't look great against teams that are just better than them at this point like Boston and Toronto etc. but it was great to see them fight toe to toe with a pretty even contemporary and get the W.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A win is a win…Detroit playing with reckless abandon.  They certainly have some solid young “pieces” to that team.  I didn’t see all the goals scored against DL, but I did 3 that were “fortunate” goals.  The one that went off Owen’s knee, the Tuch deflection, and I forget the other one (Lyubushkin turnover?).  The kid is going to take his lumps, but I love what I’m seeing thus far.  He’s fun to watch.

So I’m hearing that Tage has fractured ribs?  Anyone else catch this rumor?  Man, I cracked a couple ribs last spring building a retaining wall, and I couldn’t even breathe without pain.  

Dahlin did not play well.  I think he’s pretty well wiped from playing 30 minutes/game.  Owen Power was awesome tonight.  

Just win babay!!!!!

There were 2 goals against where Levi had absolutely no chance. The Lyubushkin turnover and the PP goal where Dahlin failed to get the puck or tie up a man and a Wing had a tap in on the backdoor.  The last goal against was a perfect shot but Levi was in position in time to possibly make a highlight reel save.   The other three against were tipped, deflected, or bounced in off of a Sabre.  I don't think Levi has allowed a softy yet in any of his starts.

Razor made an interesting point the other day, possibly after talking with Matty Ellis, that college goalies face a ton of shots but they're often perimeter shots and theres significantly less traffic in front of the net.  Bigger bodies in the NHL, intentional screens on the goalie would be an adjustment for Levi was the point.  I haven't seen anything which suggests he's playing these weird bounces poorer than any other goalie but it is an interesting point considering all the strange bounce goals we are seeing.  

Power is so much improved.  What a difference a season makes. His confidence and skills were obvious from the start but now he has adapted to NHL game speed.  

I have not heard the cracked rib rumor about Tage.   Thought he had an oblique pull earlier in the season.  I know that one timer has been grounded for weeks.  He looks hesitant to wind up and let it fly.  He was better last night but he was clearly laboring up and down the ice vs FLA. Credit to him for lacing up with the season on the line.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That was a good, hard fought win against a team that is in a pretty similar point in their rebuild to the Sabres so I felt like that was a good test.  It's hard to get too mad when they don't look great against teams that are just better than them at this point like Boston and Toronto etc. but it was great to see them fight toe to toe with a pretty even contemporary and get the W.

Sens and Wings were busy in free agency last summer and were supposed to be in the playoff mix.  Florida has been dealing like crazy to be a borderline wild card.  Gotta feel good about being where we are today mostly through drafting and developing.  Youngest team in the league despite rostering a goalie who knows how to program a VCR, decent cap room going into next year, and a solid prospect pool.  Kulich just set an AHL goal record for 18 year olds, Savoie had another strong season and playoffs, Ostlund is still alive last I checked, Rousek looked more than capable of playing bottom 6 minutes in his opportunity, and Rosen has a funny looking face.  With the best goalie prospect we've had since Miller, the future looks bright.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Sens and Wings were busy in free agency last summer and were supposed to be in the playoff mix.  Florida has been dealing like crazy to be a borderline wild card.  Gotta feel good about being where we are today mostly through drafting and developing.  Youngest team in the league despite rostering a goalie who knows how to program a VCR, decent cap room going into next year, and a solid prospect pool.  Kulich just set an AHL goal record for 18 year olds, Savoie had another strong season and playoffs, Ostlund is still alive last I checked, Rousek looked more than capable of playing bottom 6 minutes in his opportunity, and Rosen has a funny looking face.  With the best goalie prospect we've had since Miller, the future looks bright.

Rosen is always the red-headed stepchild in these discussions and he's actually pretty damn good. Looking like we hit on all our first-rounders last year. Analytics and scouting folks KA brought in are coming up aces.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Not sure what to say. We all live with disappointment. You have to watch how this team develops. The NHL is way different than the NFL. Rookies don't just play. (Devon Levi appears to be an exception.) It takes players 3-4 years to fully develop. 

Don't forget this is only year 2 of the Adams/Granato regime. And this team is already at the doorstep of the playoffs. We have more points now (83 with 5 games to go) than we've had since our last playoff season. We are #6 in the league in goals scored. We might have found our new Ryan Miller. There's plenty to be excited over.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not sure what to say. We all live with disappointment. You have to watch how this team develops. The NHL is way different than the NFL. Rookies don't just play. (Devon Levi appears to be an exception.) It takes players 3-4 years to fully develop. 

Don't forget this is only year 2 of the Adams/Granato regime. And this team is already at the doorstep of the playoffs. We have more points now (83 with 5 games to go) than we've had since our last playoff season. We are #6 in the league in goals scored. We might have found our new Ryan Miller. There's plenty to be excited over.

With all the excitement this year around career highs and the development of Power, now Levi, the guy who hasn't gotten a ton of attention is Dylan Cozens.  His growth has been remarkable.  He put up over 30 goals this year despite constant line juggling, mainly playing with 2 rookies who were overmatched for much of the season, and he wasn't a PP fixture until the second half of the year.  He has yet to fill out his frame.  I am not guaranteeing he his going to be a perennial 30 goal scorer but I don't think he has reached his ceiling yet.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Now that was a great win! Sabres played a heck of a game against a very tough opponent. 

Best performance of the season??  Best I can remember.  They played really well defensively against a great team, controlled play, battled back, and they looked solid with the lead in the 3rd for once.  What a win.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.