Training Camp Battles Analysis

The roster currently stands at 86. It remains to be seen if there will be more UDFA's or veteran FA's added. But as the roster looks right now, I see the following Training Camp battles set for either roster spots or positions on the depth chart -

Zack Moss v. Duke Johnson: When I looked at the contract we gave J.D. McKissic vs. the contract we gave Duke Johnson - it was clear to me from the moment we signed Duke that he wasn't being signed for the same role and that the true McKissic replacement would come in the Draft. We now know that man is James Cook. This leaves one spot on the RB Depth Chart, the "coveted" TJ Yeldon/Matt Breida role as #3 RB who won't dress on Sunday unless there's an injury to Singletary or Cook. One will make it, one will be cut. And with the way Zack performed last season, I could honestly see it going either way.

Jamison Crowder v. Isaiah McKenzie: I think we all expect Crowder to be the starter in the slot, given his resume compared to McKenzie. But when you compare contracts, they're fairly similar - Crowder on a 1 year deal worth 2 million with 1.87 guaranteed. McKenzie on a 2 year deal worth 4.4 million with 1.25 guaranteed. Whoever earns the starting nod in the slot, one things for sure - they're going to have to earn it. And given Khalil Shakir's abilities in the slot (as well as comments Beane made about him that I'll touch on below) - the loser could be an unexpected "surprise cut" candidate.

Khalil Shakir v. Marquez Stevenson: This isn't a battle for Khalil Shakir's roster spot. He'll be here no matter what. Hell, Beane said yesterday that he envisions Khalil Shakir as the first man up for all 3 WR spots. This is a battle for Marquez Stevenson's role as Returner. If Shakir proves to be a better option at Returning out of the gate this summer, I feel Stevenson will find himself on the Practice Squad this season. Especially considering Stevenson was the 7th WR on the 53 last season and I see keeping 6 this season as a very real possibility, with other positions possibly carrying more than they did in 2021.

Tommy Sweeney v. Jalen Wydermyer v. Quintin Morris: There's a chance there's not a spot on the 53 for any of these guys as last season we only kept 2 Tight End's on the 53. That would clearly be Dawson Knox and O.J. Howard. However, with the usage both will probably get, I foresee us keeping 3 this season. Though it is possible 2 are kept on the Practice Squad. Either way, I foresee at least one of these players being out of the building completely. Jalen Wydermyer's ability is intriguing. Quintin Morris impressed as a UDFA enough last season that he never left the building and could take a step forward. This could be the end of the line for Tommy Sweeney.

Tommy Doyle v. Luke Tenuta: When it comes to players selected mid 6th to the end of the Draft, your odds of making a teams 53 isn't a given. Especially a team as stacked as ours. Outside of the Starting 5, Quessenberry will stick as perhaps the first man up at both Guard and Tackle. To me, this leaves one more spot at #4 OT - last year's 5th Rounder v. this year's 6th. One will stay on the 53, one will try to be snuck on the PS. Doyle made the roster last year but was used extremely sparingly and I think Tenuta's drafting speaks to wanting competition.

Cody Ford v. Himself: Rather than highlighting who Ford could be battling with at Reserve Guard, I think the story is more about Cody Ford himself. Can he show more from the talents and traits he had that caused us to trade up and select him with the 6th pick in the 2nd Round in 2019 working under and impressing Aaron Kromer? If he can, I think they'll find a spot for him on the 53 given the investment they made. Maybe even keeping 10 OL instead of 9. If not, this could be the end of the road for Cody Ford.

AJ Epenesa v. Boogie Basham v. Shaq Lawson: Given that no DE's were drafted, all 3 will make the roster if the room stays as is. But it's unclear to me what the pecking order will be coming off the bench outside of Von Miller and Greg Rousseau. I think Epenesa has a slight edge, but he has yet to show the 1st Round talent that had people saying we stole him in the 2nd Round.

DaQuan Jones v. Tim Settle: Looking at their contracts, one could make the assumption that they envision DaQuan Jones as their Starter at 1-Tech DT alongside Ed Oliver. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Tim Settle could take the gig with an impressive Summer. Especially given his history and rapport setting up Tremaine Edmunds in Virginia Tech that made Edmunds a 1st Rounder.

Terrel Bernard v. Tyrel Dodson: With AJ Klein out, his role as the 1st Linebacker off the bench and 3rd Linebacker in 3 man sets is up for grabs. Clearly with the 3rd Round investment, they see Bernard as the long term answer for that role. But Dodson is a player they clearly like entering his 4th season with the team and getting a contract extension earlier this year. If Bernard doesn't catch on quickly, Dodson could hop him on the Depth Chart entering the season.

Marquel Lee v. Baylon Spector v. Andre Smith: Much like the Tight End battle listed above, this may or may not be for a spot on the 53. We only kept 5 Linebackers last season and if that's the case this season, then it's covered with Edmunds, Milano, Bernard, Dodson, and Matakevitch. But if we keep 6, it will be between these 3 for the final spot. Even if we're only looking for Practice Squad depth, they probably won't keep all 3.

Cam Lewis v. Christian Benford: Much like Linebacker, last season we only kept 5 CB's on the 53. However, given Tre White's injury, I'd expect us to keep 6 this season (at least to start the year). White, Elam, and Jackson on the outside and Johnson and Neal at the Nickel are a given. So it comes down to Cam Lewis and Christian Benford for the final spot on the boundary. Lewis (like Dodson) is a player they like and enters his 4th year in the building. But Benford being their 6th selection in the 6th spot of the 6th Round may be someone they don't want to risk sneaking on the Practice Squad.

Matt Haack v. Matt Araiza: This is a clear cut one will stay, one will go competition. Given how Haack performed last season, the fact that he's more expensive, and them investing a Draft Pick in Araiza - I think Araiza would really have to prove to not be NFL ready to lose the competition. If it's even close, Araiza will get the nod. It simply comes down to whether or not Araiza can prove proficient at holding kicks and improve his hang time.

So who do you guys like in these competitions? If you see any that you feel I've missed, feel free to add.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Does Johnson play ST?  If so could see them keeping Moss and Johnson and dumping Jones??   Personally that would be my vote to have 3actual RB's available

Think it could be we see Crowder against zone and McKenzie more against man on Sundays.  Think Shakir will line up in all three spots, but by late in season may be more slot.

Didn't Gilliam also line up as TE sometimes?  As did Doyle.  Morris did look good. Think unless Sweeney has big camp he could be odd man out, and won't pass go or collect $200, or be on PS.

Think Doyle stays as might be harder to sneak him to PS than Tenuta

Unless they sign a vet IOL, Ford makes the team.  The fact that they didn't draft anyone for inside makes me think Kromer feels he can make something out of Ford.  Also possible they plan to move Tenuta inside?

I'll give Basham the edge as 1st off bench, then Lawson.

On LB's I think Matakevitch may be odd man out, particularly with his contract.  Think at least one in total if not two will be gone, but not certain who.

if it comes down to Cam Lewis or Christian Benford, Benford wins the tie breaker as he was drafted and drafted this year.

6th round picks can often be snuck onto PS and a fair amount of them manage to stick, but no way they could get away with that with Araiza. He'd be plucked away in a second.  For that reason he will be on the 53, worst case if he starts as a total disaster, could see them keeping both he and Haack on roster to begin season and once they have some injuries somewhere else and need to make a roster move, then Haack is let go.  But that's a long shot as more likely they'd start out with someone else holding if that's the issue, but get him up to speed as fast as possible.  If the issue is hang time or directional, or too many touch backs, as they did with Bass they will have him just work through it and take some early hits. 

His lack of holding does worry me, but the fact that he also kicked, would make me think he'd be the first one to understand the importance of needing perfect consistent holds and will work hard at it.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice summary, OP. A good review of what to watch during training camp.

Interesting to think about what might happen with Moss. I think Beane has faith in him and is looking for him to rebound this year. But if he looks sharp in training camp and preseason, could we see Beane move him for a future pick to a team that gets snagged by the injury bug?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Does Johnson play ST?  If so could see them keeping Moss and Johnson and dumping Jones??   Personally that would be my vote to have 3actual RB's available

On LB's I think Matakevitch may be odd man out, particularly with his contract.  Think at least one in total if not two will be gone, but not certain who.

Duke Johnson doesn't play Special Teams. He's taken very minimal snaps there in his career. Most of them being returns in his first few years. 

I'm going to say the same thing I said last year and the year before that, Taiwan Jones is probably not going anywhere. McDermott has always used roster spots for a core of players who excel at Special Teams. Taiwan has been one of the most integral parts of that core. If they felt like he couldn't do it anymore, they wouldn't have re-signed him. So when it comes to Taiwan not making the squad, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd also add that while Taiwan Jones is technically listed as a RB - I don't think they look at him as a ball carrier for this team. Meaning imo they only carry 4 because of Jones. If Jones were to be replaced on Special Teams, it would just mean his roster spot would be added to the end of whichever position group that player replacing Jones was classified as and we'd just carry 3 RB's instead of 4. Long story short, Jones doesn't change the battle between Moss and Johnson either way. I see no way they keep both.

And even if they did decide to move on from Taiwan, there's no way they'd let go of both Jones AND Matakevitch. Matakevitch much like Jones was signed and paid almost exclusively for his Special Teams play. They're the top two ST Ace's on the team. If Matakevitch's spot on the squad and his salary were in question, they'd have renegotiated or released him when we were doing whatever we could to free cap space. You can't make the assumption that just anyone can play ST's and perform on their level.

Outside of that, I liked your post. Good point on Gilliam having the flexibility to play both FB and TE. This is probably why we only carried 2 and may only carry 2 again this season.

6 hours ago, Rubes said:

Interesting to think about what might happen with Moss. I think Beane has faith in him and is looking for him to rebound this year. But if he looks sharp in training camp and preseason, could we see Beane move him for a future pick to a team that gets snagged by the injury bug?

Fair point. If he does look good this season and a team is in need, I could easily see him moving him if a team were to call for him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Matt Haack v. Matt Araiza: This is a clear cut one will stay, one will go competition. Given how Haack performed last season, the fact that he's more expensive, and them investing a Draft Pick in Araiza - I think Araiza would really have to prove to not be NFL ready to lose the competition. If it's even close, Araiza will get the nod. It simply comes down to whether or not Araiza can prove proficient at holding kicks and improve his hang time.

I think Araiza really just needs to be able nail the job as a holder, he does need to develop his control as a punter, but I think they'd be more willing to let that develop over more time. Worst case this year as long as he can hold, they can have him kick touchbacks until they're confident he can get the rest right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The roster currently stands at 86. It remains to be seen if there will be more UDFA's or veteran FA's added. But as the roster looks right now, I see the following Training Camp battles set for either roster spots or positions on the depth chart -

Zack Moss v. Duke Johnson: When I looked at the contract we gave J.D. McKissic vs. the contract we gave Duke Johnson - it was clear to me from the moment we signed Duke that he wasn't being signed for the same role and that the true McKissic replacement would come in the Draft. We now know that man is James Cook. This leaves one spot on the RB Depth Chart, the "coveted" TJ Yeldon/Matt Breida role as #3 RB who won't dress on Sunday unless there's an injury to Singletary or Cook. One will make it, one will be cut. And with the way Zack performed last season, I could honestly see it going either way.

Jamison Crowder v. Isaiah McKenzie: I think we all expect Crowder to be the starter in the slot, given his resume compared to McKenzie. But when you compare contracts, they're fairly similar - Crowder on a 1 year deal worth 2 million with 1.87 guaranteed. McKenzie on a 2 year deal worth 4.4 million with 1.25 guaranteed. Whoever earns the starting nod in the slot, one things for sure - they're going to have to earn it. And given Khalil Shakir's abilities in the slot (as well as comments Beane made about him that I'll touch on below) - the loser could be an unexpected "surprise cut" candidate.

Khalil Shakir v. Marquez Stevenson: This isn't a battle for Khalil Shakir's roster spot. He'll be here no matter what. Hell, Beane said yesterday that he envisions Khalil Shakir as the first man up for all 3 WR spots. This is a battle for Marquez Stevenson's role as Returner. If Shakir proves to be a better option at Returning out of the gate this summer, I feel Stevenson will find himself on the Practice Squad this season. Especially considering Stevenson was the 7th WR on the 53 last season and I see keeping 6 this season as a very real possibility, with other positions possibly carrying more than they did in 2021.

Tommy Sweeney v. Jalen Wydermyer v. Quintin Morris: There's a chance there's not a spot on the 53 for any of these guys as last season we only kept 2 Tight End's on the 53. That would clearly be Dawson Knox and O.J. Howard. However, with the usage both will probably get, I foresee us keeping 3 this season. Though it is possible 2 are kept on the Practice Squad. Either way, I foresee at least one of these players being out of the building completely. Jalen Wydermyer's ability is intriguing. Quintin Morris impressed as a UDFA enough last season that he never left the building and could take a step forward. This could be the end of the line for Tommy Sweeney.

Tommy Doyle v. Luke Tenuta: When it comes to players selected mid 6th to the end of the Draft, your odds of making a teams 53 isn't a given. Especially a team as stacked as ours. Outside of the Starting 5, Quessenberry will stick as perhaps the first man up at both Guard and Tackle. To me, this leaves one more spot at #4 OT - last year's 5th Rounder v. this year's 6th. One will stay on the 53, one will try to be snuck on the PS. Doyle made the roster last year but was used extremely sparingly and I think Tenuta's drafting speaks to wanting competition.

Cody Ford v. Himself: Rather than highlighting who Ford could be battling with at Reserve Guard, I think the story is more about Cody Ford himself. Can he show more from the talents and traits he had that caused us to trade up and select him with the 6th pick in the 2nd Round in 2019 working under and impressing Aaron Kromer? If he can, I think they'll find a spot for him on the 53 given the investment they made. Maybe even keeping 10 OL instead of 9. If not, this could be the end of the road for Cody Ford.

AJ Epenesa v. Boogie Basham v. Shaq Lawson: Given that no DE's were drafted, all 3 will make the roster if the room stays as is. But it's unclear to me what the pecking order will be coming off the bench outside of Von Miller and Greg Rousseau. I think Epenesa has a slight edge, but he has yet to show the 1st Round talent that had people saying we stole him in the 2nd Round.

DaQuan Jones v. Tim Settle: Looking at their contracts, one could make the assumption that they envision DaQuan Jones as their Starter at 1-Tech DT alongside Ed Oliver. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Tim Settle could take the gig with an impressive Summer. Especially given his history and rapport setting up Tremaine Edmunds in Virginia Tech that made Edmunds a 1st Rounder.

Terrel Bernard v. Tyrel Dodson: With AJ Klein out, his role as the 1st Linebacker off the bench and 3rd Linebacker in 3 man sets is up for grabs. Clearly with the 3rd Round investment, they see Bernard as the long term answer for that role. But Dodson is a player they clearly like entering his 4th season with the team and getting a contract extension earlier this year. If Bernard doesn't catch on quickly, Dodson could hop him on the Depth Chart entering the season.

Marquel Lee v. Baylon Spector v. Andre Smith: Much like the Tight End battle listed above, this may or may not be for a spot on the 53. We only kept 5 Linebackers last season and if that's the case this season, then it's covered with Edmunds, Milano, Bernard, Dodson, and Matakevitch. But if we keep 6, it will be between these 3 for the final spot. Even if we're only looking for Practice Squad depth, they probably won't keep all 3.

Cam Lewis v. Christian Benford: Much like Linebacker, last season we only kept 5 CB's on the 53. However, given Tre White's injury, I'd expect us to keep 6 this season (at least to start the year). White, Elam, and Jackson on the outside and Johnson and Neal at the Nickel are a given. So it comes down to Cam Lewis and Christian Benford for the final spot on the boundary. Lewis (like Dodson) is a player they like and enters his 4th year in the building. But Benford being their 6th selection in the 6th spot of the 6th Round may be someone they don't want to risk sneaking on the Practice Squad.

So who do you guys like in these competitions? If you see any that you feel I've missed, feel free to add.

Cornerback is more wide open than Lewis vs Benford, IMO.   If the rules continue to allow.......then the tiny Cam Lewis might just make a permanent practice squad guy who has value to the Bills but not so much other teams.    One of Griffin or McCloud is just as likely to make the team as Benford.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Didn't Gilliam also line up as TE sometimes?  As did Doyle.  Morris did look good. Think unless Sweeney has big camp he could be odd man out, and won't pass go or collect $200, or be on PS.

I think Gilliam is a goner. Gilliam is a solid player, but his role is too minimal to take a spot on a roster this deep.

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Also possible they plan to move Tenuta inside?

Tenuta is 6'8", no way can he play Guard. I think they see him as a developmental OT, I'd say he's a lock for the PS.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Firstly thanks for your original post... 

In relation to this point...I cant see Crowder getting cut...he signed cheap but pretty much all guaranteed money... 

Think he is going to surprise a few people ... play well and sign a bigger deal elsewhere in 2023..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Firstly thanks for your original post... 

In relation to this point...I cant see Crowder getting cut...he signed cheap but pretty much all guaranteed money... 

Think he is going to surprise a few people ... play well and sign a bigger deal elsewhere in 2023..

In retrospect, I think I agree with you and maybe should have said I could envision a scenario where Isaiah McKenzie is a surprise cut. I think it's more likely all 3 of Crowder, McKenzie, and Shakir are on the roster and Stevenson is out. But as far as "surprise cuts" that you wouldn't necessarily expect - Isaiah McKenzie seems like he could be a candidate, if one of those were to happen.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Benford v Cam Lewis v the UDFA from Tulsa for the final corner spot is the one to watch. 

It's always possible that a UDFA steps forward, greatly exceeds expectations, and goes from undesirable to undeniable. However, atm, Travon Fuller should be looked at as nothing more than a Camp body.

When Beane had his choice of all CB's available to him, he chose Benford. He spoke of what he saw Benford's possibilities in the future were during his Press Conference, alluding to a plan for him.

Travon Fuller went Undrafted and among NFL.com's Top 39 available UDFA CB's, he didn't make the list. So I'd say putting him on the same ground as Christian Benford and Cam Lewis is very premature, at this point. I'd put Olaijah Griffin, Nick McCloud, and Tim Harris (all entering their 2nd camp with us) above him right now and I don't consider any of them to be thought of at the same level as Benford and Lewis either.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-undrafted-rookie-free-agents-following-the-2022-nfl-draft

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

1 thing I’m sure of is that McKenzie will NOT be cut. He has capitalized time and time again when given opportunities to perform within this offense. You don’t resign a guy like that for cheap then cut them.

While I'm not saying I think it will happen or that it's likely, I wouldn't say that I'm sure it can't. You usually don't keep 3 separate slot WR's. Khalil Shakir could make him expendable and I see his future as our long term slot guy. That could happen sooner than later based on how good he looks this Summer. They're called "surprise cuts" for a reason. And while McKenzie would be a surprise, I can't 100% rule it out and I'm not the first person to bring this up as a possibility on this board.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's always possible that a UDFA steps forward, greatly exceeds expectations, and goes from undesirable to undeniable. However, atm, Travon Fuller should be looked at as nothing more than a Camp body.

When Beane had his choice of all CB's available to him, he chose Benford. He spoke of what he saw Benford's possibilities in the future were during his Press Conference, alluding to a plan for him.

Travon Fuller went Undrafted and among NFL.com's Top 39 available UDFA CB's, he didn't make the list. So I'd say putting him on the same ground as Christian Benford and Cam Lewis is very premature, at this point. I'd put Olaijah Griffin, Nick McCloud, and Tim Harris (all entering their 2nd camp with us) above him right now and I don't consider any of them to be thought of at the same level as Benford and Lewis either.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-undrafted-rookie-free-agents-following-the-2022-nfl-draft

Travon Fuller can play. He was a 4 star recruit out of Texas who went to Texas A&M where he played a bit but got a bit lost in the shuffle then transferred to Tulsa. Scheme wise he is a perfect fit for what the Bills do and he is that kind of smart, mature zone corner that they like. He is an older prospect, aged 23, having used the extra year of eligibility. Frankly I don't care where NFL listed him among their top UDFAs. Cam Lewis didn't make any of those lists either as a UDFA and has been constantly in the battle right on the fringe of the Bills 53 since he arrived. 

Do I think he has a tough road? Yes. Is the benefit of the doubt going to go with their drafted guys? For sure. Benford is certainly more athletically talented than Fuller, but the step he is taking in competition is much bigger. In fact it's huge. That is consistent with what the Bills have done, particularly, late in the draft - they have drafted high RAS guys (the tackle this year being the exception) and then they have brought in as UDFAs more athletically limited guys who have the smarts and the tape to have a shot. 

I think Fuller will impress people in camp and in pre-season. Is he a longshot for that 6th corner spot (if we even carry 6, it has been 5 the last two years)? Yes. but he is my darkhorse for the roster. Anyone sleeping on him should not be. I know Wydermyer is the one getting all the hype and he possibly has the easiest route to a roster spot because they are thinnest at tight end. But I think Fuller is the best player among their UDFAs. 

Excellent work  @BillsFanForever19  Thank you

Just one comment, I think (and I have nothing to prove it, just speculation) that Benford, and maybe even Bernard, are candidates for Safety positions. The Bills Safeties, by design, play like free agents on the field. That is, they are interchangeable and the Bills do not play a Strong or Free Safety type of game. Rather, both can play up and rush the passer or support the run, and both can cover WRs, and for the most part, they both have zone coverage responsibilities. So what do they most need in these positions, intelligence and athletic ability. I feel that Benford and Bernard both fit the profile. We'll see.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Duke Johnson doesn't play Special Teams. He's taken very minimal snaps there in his career. Most of them being returns in his first few years. 

I'm going to say the same thing I said last year and the year before that, Taiwan Jones is probably not going anywhere. McDermott has always used roster spots for a core of players who excel at Special Teams. Taiwan has been one of the most integral parts of that core. If they felt like he couldn't do it anymore, they wouldn't have re-signed him. So when it comes to Taiwan not making the squad, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd also add that while Taiwan Jones is technically listed as a RB - I don't think they look at him as a ball carrier for this team. Meaning imo they only carry 4 because of Jones. If Jones were to be replaced on Special Teams, it would just mean his roster spot would be added to the end of whichever position group that player replacing Jones was classified as and we'd just carry 3 RB's instead of 4. Long story short, Jones doesn't change the battle between Moss and Johnson either way. I see no way they keep both.

And even if they did decide to move on from Taiwan, there's no way they'd let go of both Jones AND Matakevitch. Matakevitch much like Jones was signed and paid almost exclusively for his Special Teams play. They're the top two ST Ace's on the team. If Matakevitch's spot on the squad and his salary were in question, they'd have renegotiated or released him when we were doing whatever we could to free cap space. You can't make the assumption that just anyone can play ST's and perform on their level.

Outside of that, I liked your post. Good point on Gilliam having the flexibility to play both FB and TE. This is probably why we only carried 2 and may only carry 2 again this season.

Fair point. If he does look good this season and a team is in need, I could easily see him moving him if a team were to call for him.

Agree about Jones, what I'd prefer is actually having three RB's they could actually use to run the ball.  If say Johnson did play ST, he'd have both a ST role on game day, but could also let him touch the ball maybe 10 times a game.  With Jones, we lose that and only have 2 real RB's active on Sunday.  

At least with Matakevitch they do sometimes, rarely, but do allow him to see the field as a LB where as Jones never is on the field even in a blow out.  Agree too that the likelihood of letting both Jones AND Matakevitch go is very low.

6 hours ago, 947 said:

I think Gilliam & Doyle are both goners. Gilliam is a solid player, but his role is too minimal to take a spot on a roster this deep. Doyle could maybe go to the PS.

Why, they don't have another FB on the roster or a strong blocking TE  Gilliam can play both those roles and Doyle can also be the blocking TE.  While I agree the FB position is of low importance and was hardly used, a blocking TE is of fairly high value.

So if Doyle is gone and Tenuta is on the PS, who is your 4th tackle.  Just because Doyle didn't crack the starting lineup as a rookie you want to get rid of him?  Typically teams keep 4 tackles and 5 IOL for a total of 9 on 53 roster. With the new rules last season, they need to have at least 8 active on Sundays or they lose a roster spot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Why, they don't have another FB on the roster or a strong blocking TE  Gilliam can play both those roles and Doyle can also be the blocking TE.  While I agree the FB position is of low importance and was hardly used, a blocking TE is of fairly high value.

So if Doyle is gone and Tenuta is on the PS, who is your 4th tackle.  Just because Doyle didn't crack the starting lineup as a rookie you want to get rid of him?  Typically teams keep 4 tackles and 5 IOL for a total of 9 on 53 roster. With the new rules last season, they need to have at least 8 active on Sundays or they lose a roster spot.

Gilliam is also a core STer. He isn't going anywhere. The more you can do..... STer, FB and relief TE. All on a cheap UDFA rookie contract? Yea he is safe. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Rubes said:

I think Moss makes the team over Duke. Moss was coming off ankle surgery in the 2021 off-season and he was likely bothered by that for much of the season, thus his disappointing season. Maybe he looks much better after having a healthy off-season going into 2022. I don't think he's that great to begin with but they still spent a third round pick on him so he has that going for him. I really think Duke was just a pseudo signing so teams didn't think the Bills were after James Cook in the draft. 

And I agree, great post OP.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Fans seem to think Kromer is a miracle worker…

He doesn't have to be a miracle worker. He just has to continue doing what he has done as an Oline coach. If he does that, the line will be just fine this year. And I'm a guy that believes they haven't addressed the line in a way they should have.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I confused the 2 Tommys in my late night night stupor... Doyle will definitely make the team, Sweeney is the one that's a goner.

• Like (+1) 1

Excellent write up @BillsFanForever19 :thumbsup:

Moss vs Johnson - Beane and McDermott hate cutting guys they drafted, but it may happen here. They say Moss was hampered by the lingering effects of his ankle injury in 2021. We'll see. This is going to be a true TC and Preseason battle for a roster spot. Last year, in Miami, Johnson also showed that he offered a bit more in the running game and not just receiving out of the backfield. My thought is Johnson should make the team over Moss, but my gut says that Beane and McDermott will stick with the guy they drafted. 

Crowder vs McKenzie - I fully expect Crowder to be the starter in the Slot, but I think McKenzie gets mixed in more with Beasley being gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they see an equal number of snaps between them and then we get Shakir mixed in for a few snaps a game. 

Shakir vs Stevenson - I think that Shakir proves early his worth in the return game. I hope Stevenson has been working his tail off this offseason because he faces an uphill climb to even make the 53. If we try to stash him on the PS, I wouldn't be surprised if Schoen and Daboll scooped him. He has speed, but he really needs to work on his craft and show value on ST. 

Sweeney vs Wydermyer vs Morris - Personally, I think they keep Wydermyer on the 53. Sweeney hasn't shown much and Morris nothing at all. I suspect Sweeney will be stashed on the PS and Morris will be an outright cut. It's another situation though where Schoen and Daboll might cherry pick though. Wydermyer reminds me of a Lee Smith type. A blocking TE who can slip out occasionally to catch a pass, hopefully minus all the Lee Smith types of penalties. He is limited athletically though, that 5.03 40 time being the evidence. 

Doyle vs Tenuda - I think Doyle's athletic profile and year in the system already give him a leg up. Tenuda is a prime candidate for the PS. 

Cody Ford💩 Waste of a roster spot.

Epenesa vs Basham vs Lawson - I think Epenesa is the first man up behind Von Miller and Lawson will be the first man up behind Rousseau. Bahsam will get some snaps at DE, but I expect his role to continue more as an interior guy on pass rushing situations much like Obada was used last year. Lawson's last year in Buffalo was solid. He had 6.5 sacks and some nice stops in the run game. He fits our defense more than anywhere else he has been in his time since. I hope they told Epenesa to gain about 10-15lbs during the offseason. His first two years I think him being too light, compared to college, has been one of his main issues. Basham just needs some refinement and to keep himself at about 270lbs so his quickness can flash a bit more. 

Jones vs Settle - I actually think the battle may be more Settle vs Phillips for the backup spot behind Ed O. I think Jones is definitely our 1-Tech going into the season. Settle has the ability to play both spots on the interior just like Ed though, where I think Phillips is strictly a 3-Tech in our defense. The depth along this front in 2022 is fantastic though. 

Bernard vs Dodson - I think they see Bernard as an athletic upgrade to Klein. I also think Bernard is going to surprise some people his rookie year with that athletic ability, especially against the run. Once he sees his lane and get going downhill you can see the pop in his pads. He loves to hit people. I also think with his ability you will see us be able to run more 3 LB sets and I believe he will be first man up if Milano is forced to miss any time. Dodson will jus be depth again. 

Lee vs Spector vs Smith - Honestly, I think Spector ends up on the PS. I think both Lee and Smith will end up being cut outright. Like you said, there are only so many spots for LB's on this roster and named the 5 who will make it. 

Lewis vs Benford - I think Benford sticks because they see him being able to slide in as a S if CB doesn't work out. I'd expect Lewis to hit the PS. 

Haack vs Araiza - Haack may even request a release before TC so he can latch on somewhere else. He's not beating out Araiza. Keenum can handle holding duties if need be. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Haack vs Araiza - Haack may even request a release before TC so he can latch on somewhere else. He's not beating out Araiza. Keenum can handle holding duties if need be. 

Beane has made clear that is a non-starter. The Punter will hold. Because those 3 specialists get to work together in practice in a way that the backup QB doesn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane has made clear that is a non-starter. The Punter will hold. Because those 3 specialists get to work together in practice in a way that the backup QB doesn't. 

Either way, Haack is gone. Araiza will be fine if he is to handle that role as well. 

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

1 thing I’m sure of is that McKenzie will NOT be cut. He has capitalized time and time again when given opportunities to perform within this offense. You don’t resign a guy like that for cheap then cut them.

Yep.

Until proven otherwise, Lil Dirty > Crowder.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Moss vs Johnson - Beane and McDermott hate cutting guys they drafted, but it may happen here. They say Moss was hampered by the lingering effects of his ankle injury in 2021. We'll see. This is going to be a true TC and Preseason battle for a roster spot. Last year, in Miami, Johnson also showed that he offered a bit more in the running game and not just receiving out of the backfield. My thought is Johnson should make the team over Moss, but my gut says that Beane and McDermott will stick with the guy they drafted. 

Crowder vs McKenzie - I fully expect Crowder to be the starter in the Slot, but I think McKenzie gets mixed in more with Beasley being gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they see an equal number of snaps between them and then we get Shakir mixed in for a few snaps a game. 

Shakir vs Stevenson - I think that Shakir proves early his worth in the return game. I hope Stevenson has been working his tail off this offseason because he faces an uphill climb to even make the 53. If we try to stash him on the PS, I wouldn't be surprised if Schoen and Daboll scooped him. He has speed, but he really needs to work on his craft and show value on ST. 

Sweeney vs Wydermyer vs Morris - Personally, I think they keep Wydermyer on the 53. Sweeney hasn't shown much and Morris nothing at all. I suspect Sweeney will be stashed on the PS and Morris will be an outright cut. It's another situation though where Schoen and Daboll might cherry pick though. Wydermyer reminds me of a Lee Smith type. A blocking TE who can slip out occasionally to catch a pass, hopefully minus all the Lee Smith types of penalties. He is limited athletically though, that 5.03 40 time being the evidence. 

Doyle vs Tenuda - I think Doyle's athletic profile and year in the system already give him a leg up. Tenuda is a prime candidate for the PS. 

Cody Ford💩 Waste of a roster spot.

Epenesa vs Basham vs Lawson - I think Epenesa is the first man up behind Von Miller and Lawson will be the first man up behind Rousseau. Bahsam will get some snaps at DE, but I expect his role to continue more as an interior guy on pass rushing situations much like Obada was used last year. Lawson's last year in Buffalo was solid. He had 6.5 sacks and some nice stops in the run game. He fits our defense more than anywhere else he has been in his time since. I hope they told Epenesa to gain about 10-15lbs during the offseason. His first two years I think him being too light, compared to college, has been one of his main issues. Basham just needs some refinement and to keep himself at about 270lbs so his quickness can flash a bit more. 

Jones vs Settle - I actually think the battle may be more Settle vs Phillips for the backup spot behind Ed O. I think Jones is definitely our 1-Tech going into the season. Settle has the ability to play both spots on the interior just like Ed though, where I think Phillips is strictly a 3-Tech in our defense. The depth along this front in 2022 is fantastic though. 

Bernard vs Dodson - I think they see Bernard as an athletic upgrade to Klein. I also think Bernard is going to surprise some people his rookie year with that athletic ability, especially against the run. Once he sees his lane and get going downhill you can see the pop in his pads. He loves to hit people. I also think with his ability you will see us be able to run more 3 LB sets and I believe he will be first man up if Milano is forced to miss any time. Dodson will jus be depth again. 

Lee vs Spector vs Smith - Honestly, I think Spector ends up on the PS. I think both Lee and Smith will end up being cut outright. Like you said, there are only so many spots for LB's on this roster and named the 5 who will make it. 

Lewis vs Benford - I think Benford sticks because they see him being able to slide in as a S if CB doesn't work out. I'd expect Lewis to hit the PS. 

You were doing so well until this.  Keenum is not going to hold.  It is going to be a punter.

It has been stated many times - due to very limited practice time - the 3 special teams players (long snapper, punter, and kicker) have to do the majority of their work while the Offense and Defense practice.

No team is taking players away from practice to have them hold full time.

A guy like Keenum may get a few snaps just to practice on a weekly basis for in game injury, but the punter is going to have to hold this position down on a full time basis.

8 hours ago, H2o said:

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your saying so and putting so much effort into your thoughts as well.

As you said, Phillips is strictly a 3-Tech. So I think he's clearly the backup and rotational option to Oliver over there. Brandon Beane said at his presser that he sees Settle at 1-Tech "first". But he certainly has the flexibility to play both. It seems to me the D-Line is Oliver and Phillips on one side and Jones and Settle on the other.

At 37:01 -

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CSBill said:

Excellent work  @BillsFanForever19  Thank you

Just one comment, I think (and I have nothing to prove it, just speculation) that Benford, and maybe even Bernard, are candidates for Safety positions. The Bills Safeties, by design, play like free agents on the field. That is, they are interchangeable and the Bills do not play a Strong or Free Safety type of game. Rather, both can play up and rush the passer or support the run, and both can cover WRs, and for the most part, they both have zone coverage responsibilities. So what do they most need in these positions, intelligence and athletic ability. I feel that Benford and Bernard both fit the profile. We'll see.

Thank you, as well. There's always a small concern when I put a lot of time into a post that I'll sign on the next day and have a bunch of notifications calling me a moron. So I appreciate both you and the poster above me.

Beane certainly is a guy who values flexibility and tweeners on Defense. But listening to his pressers post Draft, it certainly appears that each will be played at the positions they were Drafted as. He spoke of Benford being a guy he could see playing Safety if need be. So I think this season, that's where he's going to be and if they don't like how it worked, maybe next season they'll give him a look at Safety.

Bernard I don't see as anything but a Linebacker. He is quick and slightly undersized, especially at MLB. But given where he was Drafted, I think if Beane thought he might be a Safety, it's something he would have talked about right off the bat. Instead, he spoke exclusively about his flexibility being between Outside and Middle. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your saying so and putting so much effort into your thoughts as well.

As you said, Phillips is strictly a 3-Tech. So I think he's clearly the backup and rotational option to Oliver over there. Brandon Beane said at his presser that he sees Settle at 1-Tech "to start". But he certainly has the flexibility to play both. It seems to me the D-Line is Oliver and Phillips on one side and Jones and Settle on the other.

At 37:01 -

Beane is absolutely my favorite person I like to listen to talk. He's informative without giving too much away, and at the same time he is as honest as they come. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/peeking-ahead-to-buffalo-bills-training-camp-battles-running-back

Thus, the first in our series previewing the most compelling roster battles begins here.

Here are the principal players:

Devin Singletary

Duke Johnson

James Cook

Zack Moss

Taiwan Jones

Reggie Gilliam (fullback)

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/peeking-ahead-to-buffalo-bills-training-camp-battles-running-back

Thus, the first in our series previewing the most compelling roster battles begins here.

Here are the principal players:

Devin Singletary

Duke Johnson

James Cook

Zack Moss

Taiwan Jones

Reggie Gilliam (fullback)

It's clear. Singletary and Cook will be here. Jones will be here for Special Teams. Gilliam's our FB/TE/Unofficial 6th OL. Beane has always kept 3 RB's and a 4th guy who is a Special Teamer (Senorise Perry when it wasn't Taiwan Jones). So it comes down to Johnson v. Moss for the 3rd Guy. Simple as that.

And then I'd expect Blackshear on the Practice Squad taking Antonio Williams spot after he signed with the Giants. And/or maybe the loser of the Moss/Johnson battle, if they don't get picked up by another team.

• Like (+1) 1

The fact is we don’t know how good or how bad we are going to be at DT….

Hopefully Jones, Settle, Jordan and Ed are working out as we speak and getting ready to work hard together.

It is very unusual for a playoff team to nearly completely rebuild its DT position so I sure hope Beane knows what he is doing as the DL as a whole probably determines if we win a Super Bowl or not….

Is Settle the FA Find of the 2022-23 season like many suggested?

Does Daquan Jones have the stamina to impose his will on an OL this year? He’s a pretty good player but every year is different.

Ed is going to see less doubles this year with Von to his right and at 24, is he ready to become a star?

is Jordan Phillips working hard to pump that iron? He can be too much to handle when his mind is set to it…

16 hours ago, StHustle said:

I tend to agree with you that McKenzie won't be cut... but I'm far less certain than you are.  

McKenzie was clearly in McD's doghouse for part of last year.  Whatever you and I may think of him, if the coaching staff doesn't love him for whatever reason, he may end up being expendable.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.