Your Bills confidence meter - from propping up or worrying about almost every opponent to expecting to win

BillsFan619

Our recent success in the past couple seasons coupled with us having such a great off-season so far has me wondering. If you’re someone who typically props up or worries about almost every opponent we play, with us being one of the teams to beat now, will this be the year that your confidence grows to a point where you expect to win? Or, will you still prop up or worry about most teams from week to week?

I think there’s a transition that usually happens with most fan bases when their team starts to get good where they go from propping up every other team to hoping to win to knowing that most times they will win no matter the opponent. Some fan bases even get to a point where they’re shocked when their team does lose.

So, where are you on that scale and why?

What say you, Bills Mafia?

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Good question.  With this present regime and roster I believe that the Bills are capable of beating any team in the NFL, thus I expect them to win.  Having said that, I also believe in "any given Sunday" and if the team doesn't play focused, they are capable of losing any game.  I usually get a feel on the first drive.  If Josh is "on" and the Bills score a TD on their first drive, I feel more confident.  If the defense is stout and limits the opposition on its first drive, that confidence bolsters.  In truth, I don't believe there are any pushover teams in the NFL.  Every team has talent.

• Like (+1) 3

I think they are the best team in the League now… mainly due to Josh Allen…

I expect them to win every game …they aren’t going to though…no team  ever does in my decades of following this sport…they will lose a game to a bottom feeder like the Jets… or maybe lose a game they shouldn’t after being up by 2 scores in the last quarter after getting a bit complacent…

Fingers crossed though that they can win the last game of the season in Feb 2023 so I can tick that box after 40 years…

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's just in my nature to worry a little about each and every opponent we face, each and every Sunday.  Remember, any team has the potential to win any given Sunday.  HOWEVER, count me among those who have definitely made the transition from hoping we win each week, to EXPECTING to win every week.  This team, this roster is absolutely loaded with talent, starting with none other than our All-World unicorn of a QB, Mr. Josh Allen.  I've never said this before today, but I expect us to beat every team we face.  There is not a single team in this league that I look at and think if we beat them it's an upset.  This organization as a whole is a winner from top to bottom.  I've gone from "if" to "when" as it relates to hoisting the Lombardi.  We've never been closer than we are now, and I couldn't be more excited about this upcoming season.  As we all know, so many things have to happen in order to win the super bowl, a little luck included, but this team has drastically reduced all those extra variables, and put us in a position that for the most part, we just to need to line up, play our best version of Buffalo Bills football, and the "W's" will pile up.  

I hope you guys are as ready for the ride this year as I am, because this is about to be one helluva season.  

LFG!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If anyone needs an illustration of what the OP is talking about, go to a Pats* fan forum. 

This is what I was thinking as well.

I'm hoping that Bills history has tempered some fans' arrogance. Although the younger generation may become unruly.

Until the team actually wins a Superbowl, the fanbase needs to slap down the over-enthusiastic among us.

• Agree 1

It’s a defense mechanism a number of posters on here employ. They are so afraid of being disappointed by a loss that they amplify our teams flaws while building up our opponents so if we lose it doesn’t hurt them as much. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I always look at the opposing QB.

I usually consider games against bad to mediocre QBs to be a lock, games against good QBs to be a more-likely-than-not Bills victory, and games against elite QBs to be a coin flip.

After the past few years, I also expect games against very high powered running games to be a bit of a coin flip. We seem to really struggle with those at times.

Most of my football watching life was spent in the drought. I’m not at “expecting to beat every team we play” just yet.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Our recent success in the past couple seasons coupled with us having such a great off-season so far has me wondering. If you’re someone who typically props up or worries about almost every opponent we play, with us being one of the teams to beat now, will this be the year that your confidence grows to a point where you expect to win? Or, will you still prop up or worry about most teams from week to week?

I think there’s a transition that usually happens with most fan bases when their team starts to get good where they go from propping up every other team to hoping to win to knowing that most times they will win no matter the opponent. Some fan bases even get to a point where they’re shocked when their team does lose.

You saw the Jags game last year, right? THAT is why! 

It’s the NFL. Respect every opponent, every week. Period. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

we are bills’ fans and are accustomed to losing in the most improbable ways. Like with 13 seconds left. 

I am always going to worry. 

• Like (+1) 2

How many SB have they won? Yeah, I'll continue to worry.

13 seconds

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.