NFL streaming service in the works

Steptide

10 hours ago, UConn James said:

Hope it’s available for a single team’s games… and that it’s not exorbitant 💸.

Netflix raised prices two times during an economic depression on top of a global pandemic. They realized they were the focus of a locked down nation scared to death and still found the greed deep down inside to hold them hostage with rate hikes. I'm not too optimistic. 

Edited by benderbender

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think DTV still has a contract for this coming season.  Don't think they are making any money off it so who knows, maybe they'd be willing to mutually drop it a year early.  IF NFL+ is ready??

Correct, this is the last season DTV has exclusivity.  Also, sounds like NFL is down to Amazon and Apple+ to be their streaming partner starting in 2023...announcement on that could come soon.

I’m thinking that the NFL will make it expensive so as to not PO their current broadcast/ streaming business partners, they can’t be seen as under cutting the business who are in essence the golden goose. It’s all about advertising dollars. 

Edited by Don Otreply

20 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m thinking that the NFL will make it expensive so as to not PO their current broadcast/ streaming business partners, they can’t be seen as under cutting the business who are in essence the golden goose. It’s all about advertising dollars. 

You mean like Fox and CBS??  I suspect this will work just like ST will be in addition if you want to watch out of market games.  CBS/Fox still broadcast the games on ST too so I'm sure they get a cut that way too thru ST and whatever the future partner is.

As for pricing, they have to be careful, could price it same as DTV prices ST, but even at those prices then run the risk of people still instead using the illegal viewing steams or other means to circumvent, fake VPN address, etc.  Admittedly it was never the price of ST that was the show stopper, it was the additional monthly DTV bill that was the show stopper.

38 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

They also may require streaming partner to carry ads from broadcast partners.

12 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I am so lucky. In Canada, we have a service called DAZN (Da Zone). I pay about $20 a month for it during the season and get all the games including the ability to watch games that I missed just like they were on a PVR system.

Yeah it’s amazing, I pay close attention to the AFC and watch the condensed version of any games impacting the Bills standing and any other attractive matchups league wide.

80-100 bucks for entire season lol

• Like (+1) 1

I've been saying they should do this for years. I am curious why does the NFL even bother with networks anyway? Why not take the whole thing and absorb all of the ad revenue through streaming? Admittedly I am oblivious to what the networks contribute outside of airing, but are the networks that crucial of a piece? Maybe its too much overhead for the NFL...

In the end I should be able to grab any NFL game at any time and watch it (live with commercials, or post game with subscription fee/no commercials), just like I would stream a tv show. Why hide your content behind barriers when you can sell it?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Can I finally dump direct tv?

By the looks of it, yes.

It is HILARIOUS how out of touch the NFL has been, and how late something like this is...

Eventually they'll wake up and put advertising on uniforms/helmets as well.

I mention that on here every now and again...can't believe they are letting that revenue stream float by...

14 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I am so lucky. In Canada, we have a service called DAZN (Da Zone). I pay about $20 a month for it during the season and get all the games including the ability to watch games that I missed just like they were on a PVR system.

DAZN is unreal, you can cancel it for the summer and just start paying again once the season starts. First month is free too, that’s how they get you.  

I’ve kept it for some nice combine and draft coverage for now though. 

So no more filling out an application to see whether Direct TV deems you worthy of paying for their streaming product?

SUNDAY TICKET STREAMING PACKAGE NOW AVAIALBLE WITHOUT A DIRECT TV SUBSCRIPTION! *

* not really true 

Direct TV is easily the dumbest company I've ever dealt with. I've never seen a company work so hard NOT to take your money. 

So glad we're in WNY where it doesn't matter and we can just see the Bills games. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

So no more filling out an application to see whether Direct TV deems you worthy of paying for their streaming product?

SUNDAY TICKET STREAMING PACKAGE NOW AVAIALBLE WITHOUT A DIRECT TV SUBSCRIPTION! *

* not really true 

Direct TV is easily the dumbest company I've ever dealt with. I've never seen a company work so hard NOT to take your money. 

So glad we're in WNY where it doesn't matter and we can just see the Bills games. 

I hate directv and having to call them. The only reason I keep them is the Sunday ticket and the convenience of having it on my TV. I cannot wait until there is another option 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They also may require streaming partner to carry ads from broadcast partners.

That would be a shame, but you’re likely correct, 

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep but now we can get rid of cable

That's the point - you get rid of cable but as a cord cutter you now have a plethora of streaming subscriptions to choose from to get what you want.  DirecTV Now, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Disney, Peacock, ESPN+, NFL+, etc. you get the idea.

Edited by HurlyBurly51
update

This was my first year with no cable or satellite or whatever. Watched stuff on the fire stick. Peacock I have for free so I could watch some games on there. ESPN app I used my parents cable ID login to watch games. Thursday was rough only when it was NFL network ONLY, I streamed illegally for those with severe agitation. Sunday ticket with a college ID. Lot of dang work to be honest. I’d happily pay to condense it all to one app (minus local I get that) but it’s ridiculous and I highly doubt it’s going to change much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.