McDermott: "We need to evolve"...sounds like he wants fewer designed Allen runs

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ll assume you meant “can’t “ make post snap reads, ? 

I don’t think that’s a completely valid statement, by whom ever tweeted that,  it is my opinion that Allen has indeed  benefited from Dabol’s tutelage, but at the same time Dabol’s over all scheme has lacked a real plan for running the ball via RBs/ having a quality O-line that could make a run game a functional aspect of the offense, causing Dabol to have to use the QB as a RB far to often, if you get my gist as it were…, that and Allen’s ability to improvise has saved the day more than once…., 

Yeah, meant can't.  We don't disagree at all, I think any sort of running game will bring this team from the door step to the podium.

4 hours ago, julian said:

Yeah even though they’re comparable in size and both run between the tackles… Allen runs with more physicality and looks to end runs on his terms, Newton defiantly tries to avoid confrontation.

Absolutely not. Gotta take off the Homer glasses. Josh is pretty comparable but Cam was bull dozing LBs EVERY GAME, MULTIPLE TIMES his first few years.

Thankfully Josh is smarter than that. Stating cam avoids contact is way off base

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

People have a warped view of him because he didn't dive for that fumble in the Super Bowl.  He never played soft.  The narrative after his MVP season is he's just built differently and can take all that punishment.  He should definitely be a cautionary tale for the Bills.  

Avoiding the scrum and choosing not to fight for the ball in the super bowl was the moment I lost respect for him as a competitor. I agree that was the narrative during much of his successful run.

The difference being that Allen delivers punishment while Newton takes it, that being said I’m all for eliminating designed runs outside of the red zone.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Need less of the designed runs in regular season to save Josh’s body for the postseason… 

We’ll, the idea goes if you improve the line and the running game (with a RB) then you out of nowhere use your QB to run as well, your QB gets very long runs….

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Scat type back that doesn't instill fear into opposing defenses. Cant catch either. 

Time to upgrade

I disagree, he can get extra yardage as he always falls forward, he can put his head down at times and bowl someone over. I've also seen him catch out of the back field well enough.  

• Disagree 1

You want Allen to run less McDermott?

Make the OL better and add RAC ability and speed to the receiving corps........this draft needs to be ABOUT THAT.

Then try to come away with a CB2 candidate to push Jackson and a LB and S with athletic upside and potential to play important snaps in the system in 2023.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's not the point.  Newton missed only two games in his first four years of football (both in 2014).  One due to a sack in a preseason game and one later in the year after a car accident. 

The point is that Newton was once viewed as close to invincible because he didn't miss hardly any games at the start of his career despite his playing style (which is very similar to Allen's).  Newton's career resembled that of a hard running RB who peaked early and was worn down by the time he hit 30.  It's a cautionary tale that Beane and McDermott witnessed first hand.

They are not even close to the same. Newton got hit and sacked more than almost any QB in the NFL for multiple years due to him not being elusive in the pocket or feeling pressure from rushers 

Allen has some of the best escapability inside the pocket I have ever seen and greatly reduces the hits he takes due to this.

Newtons issues weren't getting hit on runs where he could see the rushers in front of him for the most part, it was getting hit in the pocket.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Need less of the designed runs in regular season to save Josh’s body for the postseason… 

Josh played pretty well in the post-season. It seems he must have had the perfect amount of designed runs this year. 

43 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They are not even close to the same. Newton got hit and sacked more than almost any QB in the NFL for multiple years due to him not being elusive in the pocket or feeling pressure from rushers 

Allen has some of the best escapability inside the pocket I have ever seen and greatly reduces the hits he takes due to this.

Newtons issues weren't getting hit on runs where he could see the rushers in front of him for the most part, it was getting hit in the pocket.

OK.  I found this Youtube video which was posted a couple of days ago.  Over 30 minutes of Josh Allen runs to 1) make you smile or laugh and 2) demonstraate how few times he takes a big hit on a run play.  He seems most likely to take on defenders on QB draws and zone reads.  He is really quite flexible but my sense is this most vulnerable area is his legs being so tall and with defenders dragging him down.

Josh Allen running.

Not too many there that end with big hits.

I am on the fence, I mean I see both sides. I will say I think the hardest hit JA took this past season, was from within the pocket. When the OL whiffed and he just got trucked (I dont remember the game). 

Never the less, important games/drives he needs to be JA unleashed. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

RB’s tend to have short NFL careers. There is not likely to be a positive end to using your once in a generation arm talent QB as though he is an RB. Josh can scramble and at at very select times play the run. To me it looked like opposing teams did a halfway decent job stopping the Bills RPO.

Develop a “real” run game and see how good Josh will be as a QB. 

Yes, I think running an offense from the 1980's might just work.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let Josh be Josh.  No need to put chains on him.  He's our best weapon inside the 10 yard line.  Every D we play has to be ready to defend that, which opens up a lot of other stuff.  Dude is nails on critical short 3rd and 4th downs.  I'm lettin' that Josh freak flag fly!!

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.