Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

On 3/19/2022 at 1:08 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

as others have said if Allen gets hurt it doesn't matter who plays.

That's not necessarily true imo, I think with a serviceable backup this team could still beat more than half the teams in the league. If Allen went down for a few games they should still be able to win against lesser teams. The backup QB could be really important keeping the team in contention in that case.

Keenum isn't at all exciting but should be a decent game manager backup if needed and a calm veteran presence on the sideline.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sportrac has now Keenum in violet (which is very rare) with the following comment: Player can void the 2022 year with a $3.5M payback.

Anybody knows what that means? It sounds like he can give us $3.5M back and find a better deal if he wants. 

Never seen that before but it sounds like he can buy out of his contract. Does Cle keep the 7th rounder if that happens? Weird.

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That's not necessarily true imo, I think with a serviceable backup this team could still beat more than half the teams in the league. If Allen went down for a few games they should still be able to win against lesser teams. The backup QB could be really important keeping the team in contention in that case.

Keenum isn't at all exciting but should be a decent game manager backup if needed and a calm veteran presence on the sideline.

Cant really argue with that.. but if Josh is out more than a "few games"... ( 3 or 4 maximum maybe?) then I dont think it matters...  Ultimately I think we can only go as far as Josh Allen takes us in the pursuit of a chamionship

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They did and were able to reduce the cap hit from 8.4 million to 6.1 million.  It's possible the Bills give him a new contract to lessen that cap hit.  If they don't I agree with @Niagara Dudein that he's not worth 6.1 million against the cap.

He’s not worth it if Josh Allen is healthy and plays every game. 

He is worth it if Josh get hurt and misses time. 

I’ve been paying car insurance for 31 years and have never gotten into an accident. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve been paying car insurance for 31 years and have never gotten into an accident. 

I made that comment before the contract restructuring.  He's well worth a 3.5m dollar cap hit.

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve been in three bad accidents and thank God I had insurance at the time

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’ve been in three bad accidents and thank God I had insurance at the time

Sorry to hear that. Glad you’re still with us.  

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I made that comment before the contract restructuring.  He's well worth a 3.5m dollar cap hit.

Nice.  I hadn’t seen the new cap hit.  Perfect. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sportrac has now Keenum in violet (which is very rare) with the following comment: Player can void the 2022 year with a $3.5M payback.

Anybody knows what that means? It sounds like he can give us $3.5M back and find a better deal if he wants. 

That comment was on his original contract with the Browns.

I think the purple means they went ahead and put it up because it was reported by a reasonable source, but they haven't confirmed it

They've got players contracts in purple, red, and blue, as well as italicized, and I haven't figured out their color code.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Never seen that before but it sounds like he can buy out of his contract. Does Cle keep the 7th rounder if that happens? Weird.

Doubt it unless they agreed on that.  You trade for the contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.