Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What are the veteran QB options are for less

There aren’t any. 

Tyrod Taylor and Teddy Bridgewater both got right around $6M/ season. They both took opportunities where they could potentially start. 

Mariota is going to want to go somewhere he can try and start. Winston is going back to New Orleans to start. 

I thought Kyle Allen was an interesting option, but again, went somewhere that he could conceivably start. Davis Mills was (IMO) the best rookie QB last year, but who knows what happens. 

That leaves Fitzpatrick and Dalton. All indications are that Fitzpatrick is done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beane will probably do something like this;

extend the contract a year, adding a salary of say $4m to 2023 and converting $5m of the $6m 2022 salary into a signing bonus. The cap would then be:

2022: $3.5m

2023: $6.5m

lowers the cap hit and gives you a solid backup for two years not just one

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

There aren’t any. 

Tyrod Taylor and Teddy Bridgewater both got right around $6M/ season. They both took opportunities where they could potentially start. 

Mariota is going to want to go somewhere he can try and start. Winston is going back to New Orleans to start. 

I thought Kyle Allen was an interesting option, but again, went somewhere that he could conceivably start. Davis Mills was (IMO) the best rookie QB last year, but who knows what happens. 

That leaves Fitzpatrick and Dalton. All indications are that Fitzpatrick is done. 

Good call.  I liked the trade.  A 7th rounder and the going rate for a quality backup.  He has a career 63% completion record, and let’s not forget Mitch last year didn’t start once.

Hell be fine and we have our backup set for now.

I still say with the other 7th RD pick we should take a shot on a punter.  I’d never use the pick earlier.  Field position is so important.

Edited by machine gun kelly

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Beane is playing the long game. Someone may need a veteran QB later in the year and Beane may be able to turn a 7th Rd pick into a much higher rd pick

He could have done that last year and didn't so im not expecting that to be the case this time either

5 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

He could have done that last year and didn't so im not expecting that to be the case this time either

Yeah, but he didn't really have 2 veteran QBs. I think the Bills are comfortable with Barkley filling in a couple of games if he had to. Not so much with Fromm. 

53 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Being an old guy, I still remember who the Gints had playing QB in Wide Right, Very happy with Keenum in the Qb Room,  He also has a history with Diggs.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Extremely tall though not really a quality you look for in a guard

I don’t think height matters in his case. He has tremendous footwork and athleticism and he plays with leverage. He can pull and reach etc. That is typically the issue with the taller guys, that they can’t bend. But Doyle was a hockey player. He can bend at the knees. Morse is 6-6, he is the tallest center in the league. It doesn’t matter as long as your QB is tall enough to see over the guys. 

I guess my philosophy when it comes to offensive line play is you play the 5 best guys. If we lose Bates, Doyle becomes top 5 right now. They probably see him as the swing guy, 6th linemen. But if they can’t add, I have no doubt he could play there. I’m sure they will add a guy in the first three rounds of the draft. 

38 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t think height matters in his case. He has tremendous footwork and athleticism and he plays with leverage. He can pull and reach etc. That is typically the issue with the taller guys, that they can’t bend. But Doyle was a hockey player. He can bend at the knees. Morse is 6-6, he is the tallest center in the league. It doesn’t matter as long as your QB is tall enough to see over the guys. 

I guess my philosophy when it comes to offensive line play is you play the 5 best guys. If we lose Bates, Doyle becomes top 5 right now. They probably see him as the swing guy, 6th linemen. But if they can’t add, I have no doubt he could play there. I’m sure they will add a guy in the first three rounds of the draft. 

You said you might be on an island with your view but at the moment if I am going to see Tommy Doyle starting for the Bills I'd rather it was at guard than on an island himself at tackle. 

I do think taller interior players can struggle to generate leverage in the run game where more often than not low man wins. We have seen that with Morse as well.

What their developmental plan is with Tommy Doyle will be one of the more intriguing parts of camp and pre-season. A 5th is not a premier pick but it is a guy you hope at some point you can get on the field even if only as a backup.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Moronic.

Name calling when you don't agree?  sorry if his cap number is at 6 million and we go into the draft without signing a CB then I don't like the trade.  Now if the Bills restructure to get his number to around 3-4 million then I would be fine,  still need money to sign Barkley who is rumoured to be coming in next week.

Edited by Niagara Dude
added point

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

If they were comfortable with Barkley, why would they trade for Keenum and his salary? 

I’m thinking Keenum would be #2, but if a team going into a playoff situation needed a QB and was willing to shell out a 1/2/3 Beane may jump at the opportunity knowing Barkley was still there

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that isn't the actual number is what is being said. Mary J Cabot is saying they re-worked the deal before the trade. We need to wait and see.

His number was at 8 mllion,  it now stands at 6.1 million.  If the number drops to 3-4 million then that could work

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.