Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Keenum is a guy who can play and win some games, for reals.  A 7th round pick is nothing.  Good choice for a backup, good deal on the pick.

However, he has a $8.43M cap hit, of which $7.1M is new cash that the Bills must cover.  Unless part of his money is staying with Cleveland, I wonder how this is going to fit under the cap. (It's possible that Cleveland is covering the roster bonus, given the timing - or it's possible that it stays with Buffalo, not clear)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/case-keenum-10079/

image.thumb.png.10f5684a5c65e16a1e9675de10d79b25.png

Of note for those who don't remember, Keenum was the throwing arm at the other end of the "Minnesota Miracle" that defeated NO and sent the Vikes to the NFCCG vs. the Eagles in 2017.  So he's comfortable throwing to Diggs!

Too much cap space for a 34 old year who enjoyed his best success playing a dome,  I have liked most of Beane's moves except this and the Jones signings.  Cost too much and we could have signed someone for less

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Too much cap space for a 34 old year who enjoyed his best success playing a dome,  I have licked most of Beane's moves except this and the Jones signings.  Cost too much and we could have signed someone for less

The latest seems to be that actually he re-worked his deal in Cleveland before the trade went down. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The latest seems to be that actually he re-worked his deal in Cleveland before the trade went down. 

I see his number at over the cap at 6.1 mllion,  go look at what some of the other QB'S free agents have signed for. Not crazy about this trade 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

I see his number at over the cap at 6.1 mllion,  go look at what some of the other QB'S free agents have signed for. Not crazy about this trade 

Yea that isn't the actual number is what is being said. Mary J Cabot is saying they re-worked the deal before the trade. We need to wait and see.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that isn't the actual number is what is being said. Mary J Cabot is saying they re-worked the deal before the trade. We need to wait and see.

Unless he comes in around 3 mllion then I don't like this much cap space for a short QB (6'1) who has average arm strength and has had his best success in this league playing in a dome. I would have preferred just signing one of the free agent QB'S

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They did and were able to reduce the cap hit from 8.4 million to 6.1 million.  It's possible the Bills give him a new contract to lessen that cap hit.  If they don't I agree with @Niagara Dudein that he's not worth 6.1 million against the cap.

36 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Unless he comes in around 3 mllion then I don't like this much cap space for a short QB (6'1) who has average arm strength and has had his best success in this league playing in a dome. I would have preferred just signing one of the free agent QB'S

His best season came in a dome, but even his last 3 stops in the NFL all outdoors - Denver, Washington, Cleveland - he has thrown 32 touchdowns against 21 picks and completed over 60% of his throws. They are still top end backup Quarterback numbers and for a 7th round pick which is basically no different to signing a free agent.

I take the point on the cap hit. $6m did feel a lot to me when I saw it. Let's see what it comes out at. I am happy with Keenum because I thought we were going to be looking in the Matt Barkley / Mike Glennon tier of backups and Keenum is way better than that. 

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They did and were able to reduce the cap hit from 8.4 million to 6.1 million.  It's possible the Bills give him a new contract to lessen that cap hit.  If they don't I agree with @Niagara Dudein that he's not worth 6.1 million against the cap.

If $6.1m is the number I expect the Bills to extenr him and lower the hit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His best season came in a dome, but even his last 3 stops in the NFL all outdoors - Denver, Washington, Cleveland - he has thrown 32 touchdowns against 21 picks and completed over 60% of his throws. They are still top end backup Quarterback numbers and for a 7th round pick which is basically no different to signing a free agent.

I take the point on the cap hit. $6m did feel a lot to me when I saw it. Let's see what it comes out at. I am happy with Keenum because I thought we were going to be looking in the Matt Barkley / Mike Glennon tier of backups and Keenum is way better than that. 

If $6.1m is the number I expect the Bills to extenr him and lower the hit. 

We have serious hole at CB and could have signed as starting CB for that cap space, there are other QB options for less.  This guy is 6'1 and average arm strength,  if he was so good then why are the Browns trading him again?  Most likely because they don't believe he can win while Watson serves his suspension,  In my opinion the Browns should have given us a 5th or 6th to eat his contract.  Again at 6 million I do not like this deal ,  this deal and Jones signing were not cap value moves and cost us being able to get a starting level CB. White say not be ready until Nov and we lost Wallace,  I am really concerned with that position right now

• Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

We have serious hole at CB and could have signed as starting CB for that cap space, there are other QB options for less.  This guy is 6'1 and average arm strength,  if he was so good then why are the Browns trading him again?  Most likely because they don't believe he can win while Watson serves his suspension,  In my opinion the Browns should have given us a 5th or 6th to eat his contract.  Again at 6 million I do not like this deal ,  this deal and Jones signing were not cap value moves and cost us being able to get a starting level CB. White say not be ready until Nov and we lost Wallace,  I am really concerned with that position right now

I get the concern at corner but backup QB was a hole too. This guy is one of the best backups in the entire league. The reason the Browns are trading him is because they have focused on finding backups with similar skill sets to their starter. Keenum plays a similar style to Baker and Brissett who they think can be a poor man's Watson. I understand that $6m is a big cap number in 2022. I agree it would be. I doubt very much that is the final number. I expect the Bills do something with that deal. 

There are still a number of vet corners on the market the Bills could move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Too much cap space for a 34 old year who enjoyed his best success playing a dome,  I have liked most of Beane's moves except this and the Jones signings.  Cost too much and we could have signed someone for less

We don’t know what the final numbers are on this yet I would’ve liked to seen a couple of years contract because case is a good back up

53 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

What are the veteran QB options are for less

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If Ford has to play we will definitely need Keenum, and probably Barkley.

Quick note, if Bates goes I would try to sign Will Hernandez. Also, I am likely alone on this island, but I think Tommy Doyle would be fine at guard. 

Interesting thought on Doyle. Yes, he was the extra lineman/TE at the end of the season, so we can assume he has the mobility you'd like to see in a guard.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Extremely tall though not really a quality you look for in a guard

Yeah, I thought/think that as well. Like I said, "interesting thought," not sure I buy it, but maybe it's worth a look. I will put my trust in the Bills coaches and front-office on this one, I assume they know way more than we do. And I also have to think they have a Plan B beyond Bates, why else would they even let him go shopping? Is Doyle a part of that?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.