DT DaQuan Jones to Buffalo, $3.58M cap this year

BillsMafi$

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have answered the question multiple times about what I think the strategy should have been this year. A proven vet edge (maybe one will still arrive?) and a proper upgrade at guard. Some will say we have the latter, I said last week what I thought about Saffold I am not gonna change my view and get the pom poms out just because the Bills signed him. The names I had on the wish list this year were Andrew Norwell and Chandler Jones. 

But look I was attacked two years ago for saying Addison was over the hill and on a steep decline. I was proven right. 

I was attacked last year for saying Emmanuel Sanders had slowed down and would struggle to hold onto a starting job. I was proven right. 

I don't sit here trying to dislike their free agent moves I am just consistent and honest with what I think. In isolation I like the two pick ups at defensive tackle. But the FA modus operandi of hole fillers has given us arguably the deepest roster in football for 2 years running. And depth is great. But difference makers are greater. 

I partly agree and mostly disagree. However, we need to wait until FA is over to discuss Beane's overall strategy (and his results).

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

that would be a mistake.  Bean drafting for position over BPA had cost them early in the last few drafts (AJ and Basham come to mind). 

Jesus H! Both players fell below their anticipated Draft value. But you have to follow the team and have an adequate memory to know this.

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

Some of you kept saying this about Oliver. Pro bowl in years 1 or 2 or they're a bust. Not a way to judge a player. Especially with established vets ahead of them, but hey, you do you. 👎

Morons outnumber knowledgeable football fans here 5-1. I fought a long, losing battle here slappin’ these idiots around. Only a casual fan? Fine. Don’t opine or formulate your posts in question form. Avid fan who doesn’t understand a damn thing about the game or the team but is compelled to vent witless vitriol, stand by to gitcherazz kicked.

#ChandlerMotto

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have answered the question multiple times about what I think the strategy should have been this year. A proven vet edge (maybe one will still arrive?) and a proper upgrade at guard. Some will say we have the latter, I said last week what I thought about Saffold I am not gonna change my view and get the pom poms out just because the Bills signed him. The names I had on the wish list this year were Andrew Norwell and Chandler Jones. 

But look I was attacked two years ago for saying Addison was over the hill and on a steep decline. I was proven right. 

I was attacked last year for saying Emmanuel Sanders had slowed down and would struggle to hold onto a starting job. I was proven right. 

I don't sit here trying to dislike their free agent moves I am just consistent and honest with what I think. In isolation I like the two pick ups at defensive tackle. But the FA modus operandi of hole fillers has given us arguably the deepest roster in football for 2 years running. And depth is great. But difference makers are greater. 

I feel your frustration.  Yesterday gave me flashbacks of when the Bills signed Jefferson and Butler.  Hopefully, Jones and Settle will prove superior. The problem is with Jones and Norwell is you have teams a lot more cap space to overpay them.  I was hoping the Bills would go the trade route for Khalil Mack (Chargers beat us to it) or Danielle Hunter (unlikely).  The Bills can upgrade their iol depth in the draft but they're not going for find a difference maker as far as pass rushers go.  Beane needs to get out of his comfort zone and take a swing at an above average to to elite defensive end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This right here ^^^

The game is won and lost in the trenches, wether anyone likes it or not,  all offensive and defensive play calls success stems from the lines. 

Go Bills!!! 

we are at a point wherein our team has its key integral Franchise QB in place, we have playmakers on offense and a stout secondary. I agree with you, fortify and dominate in the trenches moving forward will put this team over the Top. IMO Beanes'  last years  acquisitions shored up the defensive line while seemingly not addressing the OL to the extent fans wanted (my perception anyway) .  I think Beane is playing this according to plan and as always he will make choices based on need AND availibility. His record is pretty danged good with a miss in Cody Ford oh well.  I'm looking forward to TC  to see all our new presents haha

m   

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

To me is still looks like quantity hole fillers rather than 1 or 2 difference makers. Beane will have to wean himself of the desire to be the deepest roster in the NFL (have arguably been that for 2 years) to focus more on having the 4 or 5 difference makers most Superbowl winners have (we have 3). 

Allen, Diggs, White. Then Oliver, who is rounding into one. There’s 4. We need one more, I agree. Hopefully a pass rusher, because while great pressure stats are impressive, hitting QBs and getting them in the ground has been severely lacking, and is far more impactful that only pressure.

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

These 2 should be very good rotational upgrades over Butler & Harry. Nice signings. Now let's say goodbye to Star June 1st.

i like where your head is at, but is that star cut in the cards?  honest inquiry, i've read that it is possible, and that it doesn't make sense.  to me, Star was not available enough and while he has a ton of God given talent, he's just not into being the best football player he can be, so i could get used to him walking.

also, i SUPPOSE the upside of having all these JAG DL we had at high prices means we can sort of upgrade or stay even at the position while saving money.  i still think we need chandler, but i could see the front office believing there is enough upside for AJ and basham and groot that they sort of don't get him, but i think that would be a mistake.

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I think this effectively takes DT off the table as a round one or round two draft option.

I know, I know: "Beane will take BPA regardless!". Yeah, yeah, yeah...

They have their four-man defensive tackle rotation, and a guy they like a lot in Eli Ankou on the practice squad, to boot.

A mid round guy? Sure, maybe. Early pick? Ain't happenin', in my opinion.

Agreed, though I think the thought they have always had is CB if the value is right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus H! Both players fell below their anticipated Draft value. But you have to follow the team and have an adequate memory to know this.

Morons outnumber knowledgeable football fans here 5-1. I fought a long, losing battle here slappin’ these idiots around. Only a casual fan? Fine. Don’t opine or formulate your posts in question form. Avid fan who doesn’t understand a damn thing about the game or the team but is compelled to vent witless vitriol, stand by to gitcherazz kicked.

#ChandlerMotto

No need for the “you’d have to follow the team and have an adequate memory” garbage.  

And now we know there was a reason both players fell below their arbitrarily assigned average draft value.  Other GM‘s saw this, we didn’t.  And neither were BPA when drafted.  

8 hours ago, Dopey said:

Some of you kept saying this about Oliver. Pro bowl in years 1 or 2 or they're a bust. Not a way to judge a player. Especially with established vets ahead of them, but hey, you do you. 👎

AJ has shown no signs of improvement, Basham taken over an all pro OL.  

8 hours ago, Logic said:

To be fair, that's revisionist history.

Both Epenesa and Basham were considered great value where they were picked, as both fell further on draft day than projected. Edge was a need, sure, but both guys arguably WERE BPA when they were picked.

o

and both fell for a reason that Bean/some scout missed.  There were some who may have considered them BPA, but Dobbins and Dillion at RB were available when AJ picked, and Gay at LB, and of course Humphry at C with Basham. 

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

They didn't draft by position in those cases.  They drafted BPA.   If I recall correctly, Beane said his group was excited when Rousseau was falling through round one, so much so that they considered moving up for him.  Then when Boogie was there in round two, he said he asked McDermott if he was ready for this (two DTs in the first two rounds, based on BPA), McD said yes.  

I think they said something similar about AJ, too.  

The thing is that when you're drafting late in round one and all through round two, there aren't any real instant impact players left, except guys who are surprises to everyone.  

if they had those guys as BPA their board was messed up. It seemed clear that Bean wanted Edge and just attacked that.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Certainly AJ did. Boogie was always a more divisive prospect in terms of his true draft value.

So what is evident to me is the Bills FO has a technique in their UFA signings and can call it a trend at this point So I would expect Jones contact to include a burner (VOID) year.  Saffold Void year, Settle void year, etc

So look for Bills to be a void year team going forward to manage cap hits now that their Franchise QB is paid.

Jon Ledyard, now of Pewter Report (writes for the Buccaneers) but a long-time draft guy and reputable football mind, likes we've done so far:

Jon Ledyard

@LedyardNFLDraft

12h

Low key love what the #Bills have done. Rodger Saffold is an upgrade at OG. Morse at that rate is tremendous. And Tim Settle and DaQuan Jones were two of my favorite IDL available, especially at their price points. Hats off to Brandon Beane

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like the DT moves by the Bills. Will Travis Jones still be an option in the 2nd rd?? 

I think Beane and McD have shown to me at this point, they will try and address all holes now, so truly draft becomes BPA in every round.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

This will be a fun read based solely on the “carolina connection” 

Despite the fact he came up with the Titans and only played for Carolina last yearDespite the fact he came up with the Titans and only played for Carolina last year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.