Bills sign DT Tim Settle, formally of Washington Commanders.

MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Paying less for Settle + Jones this year than what Harrison Phillips himself is getting is a big win. Upgraded size and talent on the DL and are paying less for it. Good stuff.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm reading through all the comments on Adam Schefter's Tweet announcing this signing, and it's a whole lot of WFT/Commanders fans saying how good he is, how they wanted him back, how Buffalo got a real gem.

Usually, when a free agent leaves a team to sign elsewhere, fans of his former team defensively say that he's overrated, overpriced, they aren't sorry to see him go, whatever.

Not the case here. Every WFT/Commanders fan that responds in the comment -- every single one -- has nothing but good things to say about Tim Settle.

So you only follow the Bills, eh?

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

we're spending that money on a backup rather than maneuvering to land a Von Miller

DT was a huge need for us. There will be other moves made at edge rusher. Right now the only rosterable players at that position are Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa. At the very least Hughes and Addison need to be replaced. I expect that to be the next position Beane targets in FA. Hopefully Chandler Jones. I would accept Von Miller as a consolation prize if we run out of options.

10 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

we're spending that money on a backup rather than maneuvering to land a Von Miller

Every move we made today saved money…

-Morse extension 

-Saffold replacing Williams

-Jones/Settle signed, letting Harry walk

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

4.5m for Oliver's backup saves money?

You’re looking at it as AAV.   Contract isn’t structured that way.  

And yes, 2 years / $9 mil is less than matching Harry’s contract.  

Settle and Jones are good players who don’t break the bank.   What would you like us to put out there alongside Oliver?… 3 mid-late round draft picks?  

3 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

4.5m for Oliver's backup saves money?

1. Settle + Jones together are making less than or equal to what Harrison Phillips is making with the Vikings. Two for the price of one DTs.

2. Backup? Have you watched much Bills football the past five years? McDermott rotates his DL more than anyone in the league.

3. Free agency isn't over. It actually hasn't even officially started .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

You’re looking at it as AAV.   Contract isn’t structured that way.  

And yes, 2 years / $9 mil is less than matching Harry’s contract.  

Settle and Jones are good players who don’t break the bank.   What would you like us to put out there alongside Oliver?… 3 mid-late round draft picks?  

We're paying like 10-11m or whatever to some guy to play next to Oliver, right? Are you saying that is a piss poor contract and he's not a capable starter?

Harry was a one-tech. Jones is his replacement at one-tech.

Settle is an expensive backup.

I would rather ditch Settle, McKenzie and Siran Neal and go after an elite talent who actually makes a difference.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

We're paying like 10-11m or whatever to some guy to play next to Oliver, right? Are you saying that is a piss poor contract and he's not a capable starter?

Harry was a one-tech. Jones is his replacement at one-tech.

Settle is an expensive backup.

I would rather ditch Settle, McKenzie and Siran Neal and go after an elite talent who actually makes a difference.

Star was a bad contract.  

Paying Edmunds his fifth year money when it would take a minor miracle to re-sign him is dumb.  

Buffalo wasted way too much on these past two years for “above average” players and “depth”, while not getting that needed difference maker to go with Allen, Diggs and White. 

Im not going to say Beane is infallible.  He’s a really good GM who has spent too much money/assets on depth and above average players to be the worlds most complete team… however that type of team puts more on Allen’s shoulders than KC does Mahomes.  

Im hopeful the philosophy is changing.   Settle/Jones aren’t Addison/Star type signings.  They are good players on inexpensive deals (relatively speaking).   That’s good football, regardless of my criticisms of some of Beane’s past FA signings.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Star was a bad contract.  

Paying Edmunds his fifth year money when it would take a minor miracle to re-sign him is dumb.  

Buffalo wasted way too many the past two years on “above average” players and depth, while not getting that needed difference maker to go with Allen, Diggs and White. 

Im not going to say Beane is infallible.  He’s a really good GM who has spent too much money/assets on depth and above average players to be the worlds most complete team… however that type of team puts more on Allen’s shoulders than KC does Mahomes.  

Im hopeful the philosophy is changing.   Settle/Jones aren’t Addison/Star type signings.  They are good players on inexpensive deals (relatively speaking).   That’s good football, regardless of my criticisms of some of Beane’s past FA signings.  

I agree with most of this.

But like you I wish the Bills were more aggressive about bringing in high impact players. It's as if they over-think it...be just a tad more like a kid playing Madden, go ahead and look to add top players. It helps. It makes a difference. 

The Chiefs, Rams and Bucs are always looking to add top talent

So when I see Ed Oliver, the best D-lineman on the team, get a backup for 2y/9, that sticks in my craw

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Settle is a sometime 1 tech, usually 3 tech. This should not be regarded as replacing Harrison IMO. Like @YoloinOhio said, this is a replacement for Butler. 

That because we are drafting the 1T in the first 3 rounds IMO and possibly even round 1 based on the way the board may fall if one of the Georgia boys fall. 

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Star was a bad contract.  

Buffalo wasted way too much on these past two years for “above average” players and “depth”, while not getting that needed difference maker to go with Allen, Diggs and White. 

I think McDermott's loyalty to Star as a Panther was an extremely poor and expensive decision. And for 4 years he held out hope that Edmunds would be his Keuckly. Now I see some better decisions being made. Settle & Jones are substantially better than Butler & Phillips.  And who knows, maybe Jordan Davis is still in play as Star's replacement? Definitely reason for "personnel" optimism. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, folz said:

Very athletic for a big man. With Groot, Oliver, and Settle, it will be a very athletic line. Watching his highlights (and I know they are just highlights from a small sample size), the way he took down QBs and ball carriers (with his length) reminded me of how Groot plays. Also in his highlights, he seems to get good push---playing on the offense's side of the line of scrimmage.

Definitely an impressive 1st step!

19 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Former Washington Commander. 1 Tech I believe with a 70 grade from PFF for last year. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tim-settle/32005345-5450-9598-7639-a7d691023bd2

definitely like this move after reading this , those strengths  are great and those weakness are just looking for weaknesses or can be easily coached.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Would love to get Ioannidis as well, kid is a baller.

I think he is still under contract for 2 years.  Does seem so far in UFA though Bills tapping those Washington Commanders (sure it has to do with the carolina connection with river boat Ron, knowing how hey are coached) hmmmm maybe there is life there for Fitz as BU

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.