Jordan Davis is unreal

Buffalo_Stampede

22 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I highly doubt either of them being there at 25

I don't expect him to be there at 25 nor do I think that's who Beane has on his radar but for all the posters acting like he would not be a good weapon for the Bills to have must not have sat through those Patriots and Colts games last season where they ran the ball down our throat.  He would absolutely be an asset we could use.

Depends on how many QBs go. Hopefully a few QB'S go before 25.

• Like (+1) 1

With his combine performance, I don’t think it moves the needle in whether the Bills draft him in the 1st round. If his reported issues of weight management, ability to affect the passing game and conditioning for game speed are not accurate, he will not be there at 25. If they are, then there is a chance he is there and that’s a sign to use that pick in another way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Not really you can’t take a odd game and say see you need a 2 down run stuffer. This isn’t 1990. He’ll be taken out of most of the games with high passing attacks. So the Bills faced how many running teams last year. The Colts, Steelers, and Titans, throw the Pats in twice. So a schedule last year of 5 of 17 teams= 30% of the schedule he would have been of good value in as a 2 down player with no pass rush skills. It’s not worth a first rounder. The only way it makes sense is if he develops into Vita Vea which I don’t see. I think it’s more likely he eats his way out of the NFL than he does becoming a dominant pass rusher 

Did they take Lotulelei out against KC?

Nope. 58% the first game and 43% when he was playing poorly after Covid.

They play our space eater even against mostly pass teams. Not generally on passing downs, but they do play the space eaters.

In 2018 when healthy, against New England with Brady he played 53% and 47%. The whole year he played less than 44% in only three games. With the Bills Lotulelei has never played less than 47%, excluding his opt-out. And if they draft Jordan Davis it will be to be the new, available and hopefully improved  young Lotulelei.

Our DL all platoons, pass rushers included. That's how they're used and yet they still draft DLs in the 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wish people would understand that this is not a bill’s type defensive tackle at least not someone that they would take high in a draft if you can’t rush the passer the bills are not interested

How about stopping the run and keeping OL off of Tremaine. I will take that in a heartbeat and at 25.

47 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Did they take Lotulelei out against KC?

Nope. 58% the first game and 43% when he was playing poorly after Covid.

They play our space eater even against mostly pass teams. Not generally on passing downs, but they do play the space eaters.

In 2018 when healthy, against New England with Brady he played 53% and 47%. The whole year he played less than 44% in only three games. With the Bills Lotulelei has never played less than 47%, excluding his opt-out. And if they draft Jordan Davis it will be to be the new, available and hopefully improved  young Lotulelei.

Our DL all platoons, pass rushers included. That's how they're used and yet they still draft DLs in the 1st.

For reference Vita Vea who everyone generally accepts as one of the best only plays around 50% of snaps for TB.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I like Wyatt a lot. Here they are side by side. I would put money in the Bills taking Wyatt if both were there at 25. 

I would take any of Georgia's starting linemen in this draft.  That defense was incredible!

Edited by jkeerie
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

He seems to be extremely motivated by negative press.  The further he drops, the better he'll play.  Like Thurman.  If we get him at 25, and he gets some time with the fans here, he may be a long-term monster.

He ran the 40 faster than Mahomes.  

This applies much better to UDFA's like Jason Peters than dude's who have eating issues and get $9M guaranteed going at the back end of round 1.     $9M is don't-care-bout-criticism-til-walk-year kinda' money.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, junior said:

Jordan Davis's athletic ability goes well beyond his 40 time. We know that Beane likes to draft athletic freaks early.

yea but he's fat and likes food allegedly so hes a bust.

Being a UGA fan i can say this, i never once heard any issues with Davis until the combine started.

The Bills would be stupid to pass on a guy that is going to take two guys to constantly move him.

Not everybody has to be a pass rusher. Star is not a pass rusher either he frees up space for others. 

Last note on this, there is another pure speculation piece allegedly about the Bills riff about the KC game, yet everyone says well unnamed sources cant be trusted.

yet unnamed sources say Davis has an eating issue and everyone believes it..... so.......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

yea but he's fat and likes food allegedly so hes a bust.

Being a UGA fan i can say this, i never once heard any issues with Davis until the combine started.

The Bills would be stupid to pass on a guy that is going to take two guys to constantly move him.

Not everybody has to be a pass rusher. Star is not a pass rusher either he frees up space for others. 

Last note on this, there is another pure speculation piece allegedly about the Bills riff about the KC game, yet everyone says well unnamed sources cant be trusted.

yet unnamed sources say Davis has an eating issue and everyone believes it..... so.......

Oh, trust me - I'm on the same page as you. If Davis can do an exceptional job of tying up blockers (freeing the LBs and other DT up to make plays) AND sometimes adds a pass rush dimension, sign me up. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

He also said that Davis has said his job is to get the other team to third and long. No mention of having any interest in getting after the passer on third down. Would absolutely hate this pick. He’s a two down player that struggles with weight.  No thanks… 

Exactly, a First round pick it just to high for a two down player imo. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

With his combine performance, I don’t think it moves the needle in whether the Bills draft him in the 1st round. If his reported issues of weight management, ability to affect the passing game and conditioning for game speed are not accurate, he will not be there at 25. If they are, then there is a chance he is there and that’s a sign to use that pick in another way. 

I’m still okay with drafting Travis Jones in rd 2

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The Rock gives his approval.

The Rock wants him for his league 😎

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People are over exaggerating what this means.  His interior DL position isn’t impacted nearly as much by fast 40 times.  There is rarely an instance where they need to beat someone in a foot race.  

His pass rush moves, run blocking ability are critically more important.  Running fast means nothing if are not getting off blocks.  

Strength, agility, etc much more important physical attributes than flat 40 speed.  And his stats show he was not good at getting to the QB with all that speed.  

He is not a lock for the first round just because he ran as fast as expected, he’s a 2nd round player still IMHO.

with all due respect. All we heard leading up to this was "He is a flat blob who cant move" 

Now he goes out and shows everyone he can and do it insanely well, and it seems the narrative is changing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

For reference Vita Vea who everyone generally accepts as one of the best only plays around 50% of snaps for TB.

Played 43 snaps per game in college. Davis played 25. I don’t think they are similar players on film, from all I’ve read. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Played 43 snaps per game in college. Davis played 25. I don’t think they are similar players on film, from all I’ve read. 

Vea also only played 20% of snaps for  Tampa in 2020.

Snap count in college means little, IMO. Others will disagree. Not to mention it fits Beans/McDs D line rotation scheme. 

Was making the point that if he could be Vita Vea, its a no brainer.

Obviously im more biased than most, but i think Davis is going to be a massive asset to whomever drafts him. (All puns intended)

I wouldn't obsess so much with the 2 down player narrative. 

Picture this:

On any down Mahommes can pass and start rolling out.

Davis from the interior will shed the guard like a rag doll and with his 4.78 speed will chase down Mahommes as he sprints to the sidelines.

Mahommes won't be able to outrun Davis as we'll have a 351 LB monster laying a huge hit on him and harassing Mahommes all game long.

Finally !!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I wouldn't obsess so much with the 2 down player narrative. 

Picture this:

On any down Mahommes can pass and start rolling out.

Davis from the interior will shed the guard like a rag doll and with his 4.78 speed will chase down Mahommes as he sprints to the sidelines.

Mahommes won't be able to outrun Davis as we'll have a 351 LB monster laying a huge hit on him and harassing Mahommes all game long.

Finally !!!

Im not against drafting him, but I don't know why people think he will suddenly do this to one of the best and most athletic QB's in the NFL like Mahomes when he didn't do this in college.  

He seems to be more of a Star replacement as a space eater and run stuffer than someone who is gonna get at the QB.  Running fast and playing fast are not the same thing, makes me wonder why that speed isn't reflected more in his college production and resume.

Edited by Alphadawg7

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just reading about Georgia and their DT usage. The best DT is Jalen Carter, top 10 pick next year. No wonder they rotate those guys so much.

I understand the rotation but Davis literally said his job is not to play on 3rd down, it’s to get to 3rd Down. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I understand the rotation but Davis literally said his job is not to play on 3rd down, it’s to get to 3rd Down. 

And I hate how teams just play uptempo whenever he’s on the field, to basically render him useless...

Just now, JaCrispy said:

And I hate how teams just play uptempo whenever he’s on the field, to basically render him useless...

Lol. We're getting use to calling players on number 1 defenses useless and a liability. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Someone told Davis his job. Everyone had their role to play. 

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not against drafting him, but I don't know why people think he will suddenly do this to one of the best and most athletic QB's in the NFL like Mahomes when he didn't do this in college.  

He seems to be more of a Star replacement as a space eater and run stuffer than someone who is gonna get at the QB.  Running fast and playing fast are not the same thing, makes me wonder why that speed isn't reflected more in his college production and resume.

HE absolutely plays fast. He was constantly in the back field and getting quick jump off of the ball.

He absolutely can chase down a QB as well.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually would support the pick.....just commenting on how the bills seem to feel about it

I heard all week that Wyatt is more likely the Bills guy because he's a freakish athlete. Then Davis showed he's actually the freak.

It's going to be interesting. We will be lucky if either guy is available. If both are I'm taking Davis.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I heard all week that Wyatt is more likely the Bills guy because he's a freakish athlete. Then Davis showed he's actually the freak.

It's going to be interesting. We will be lucky if either guy is available. If both are I'm taking Davis.

Either guy would help immediately....we need to see if a 2 gapping DT would help Edmunds before the decision on his contract.

I still feel that corner and wide receiver are also logical picks

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Either guy would help immediately....we need to see if a 2 gapping DT would help Edmunds before the decision on his contract.

I still feel that corner and wide receiver are also logical picks

Can't agree enough. Keep the LBs clean from second level OL mauling. Davis will make Oliver even more effective.

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Can't agree enough. Keep the LBs clean from second level OL mauling. Davis will make Oliver even more effective.

So we want to draft the type of player that Star was supposed to be?

If either one of the top 4 cb’s or top 4 wr’s fall to 25 you draft that player. If not then you either trade down or take your DT

11 hours ago, Magox said:

It is not atrocious, against top competition he was a persistently a factor.  You’re just looking at his stats and coming to that conclusion, sort of like what many did with Josh Allen coming out of college.   His film shows that he is not just a bull rusher but actually has really good gap burst.  He could actually become a highly effective DT in helping collapse the pocket.   Not to mention his near 6’7 height would be a net positive in helping bat passes down and not providing a clear passing lane.

With that said, there is a question whether or not he has the discipline to continue to improve.  If he is just one of those guys that does the necessary to get by then he will end up being an OK DT tackle in the league, which is not what you would want out of your first round pick.   So for me it’s a matter of determining if he has that drive to continuously get better.  If so, then he ends up being a probowl caliber player.

I think we’re in similar spots.

I stated why I think he doesn’t seem disciplined. I’ll agree his ceiling is as high as anyones but I have said why I don’t think he’s disciplined. Thus as you say hes not what you want out of a first round pick. what if he’s very lazy and has been getting by based off his athleticism?

to provide more evidence to my

previous post. Others have mentioned joe Marino is down on him because of his discipline. This past season he said he wanted to win a championship (good for him getting it) and control his weight (he didn’t do that). He also said after the first bama game (sorry no link but again Marino show) that we wasn’t conditioned enough.

So yeah the stats are not the end all be all but I didn’t say that. he had one of the worst pressure rates of all FBS DT, and I was trying to say his apparent lack of discipline PLUS the stats are why I’m a pass.  If we draft I’ll root for him. If he turns into an all pro then I’ll eat crow. 

21 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Look at his play on the field. I don't put much stock in the combine results. Imho, too many red flags on this guy to take at 25. Hard pass for me. 

Didn’t this guy win the Outland and Bednarik awards?  And was in top 10 for the Heisman.  The weight is a concern but you ain’t getting sure things at Pick 25.  And this guy could be an All Pro if he wants to be.  I’m cool with it at Pick 25.  

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Didn’t this guy win the Outland and Bednarik awards?  And was in top 10 for the Heisman.  The weight is a concern but you ain’t getting sure things at Pick 25.  And this guy could be an All Pro if he wants to be.  I’m cool with it at Pick 25.  

Yea his play on the field is top 10 worthy a true disrupter if there ever was one. 

Im still trying to figure out where this "lazy" "unmotivated" crap comes from.

https://uga.rivals.com/news/jordan-davis-gets-results-not-stats

“I remember at one point in the game, I had three people on me, Davis said. “We got a pretty good stop on that one too. I take pride in that. It’s a real big feeling of accomplishment if I have two people on me.”

When asked why he requested an area instead of receiving one from the coaches, Davis said it was just an aspect of being a leader.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

HE absolutely plays fast. He was constantly in the back field and getting quick jump off of the ball.

He absolutely can chase down a QB as well.

In the NFL that will just be a face full of rubber pellets for Davis.........and still a first down either way. :beer:

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea his play on the field is top 10 worthy a true disrupter if there ever was one. 

Im still trying to figure out where this "lazy" "unmotivated" crap comes from.

https://uga.rivals.com/news/jordan-davis-gets-results-not-stats

“I remember at one point in the game, I had three people on me, Davis said. “We got a pretty good stop on that one too. I take pride in that. It’s a real big feeling of accomplishment if I have two people on me.”

When asked why he requested an area instead of receiving one from the coaches, Davis said it was just an aspect of being a leader.

below is him saying his conditioning in the SEC title game was a problem. That seems to be a motivation problem.  He’s in shape now. Great. That’s sorta like playing well in a contract year. Why was conditioning a problem at the end of the season?  Up tempo is clearly something that he will see in the NFL. 

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/01/georgias-340-pound-dl-jordan-davis-admits-conditioning-was-off-against-alabama.html?outputType=amp

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:05 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

He was clocked at 20mph in the season........a 4.78 40 is the equivalent of running about 18.75 mph.........that's consistent with his in season clocking.

The big problem with Davis is that he plays very tall.........so he doesn't play with leverage.......skinny track legs on a huge upper body.

Convert this kid to TE. 😁

Edited by badassgixxer05

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.