Speed available in the WR draft class

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Speed on display

it’s hard to say who may be available to play he Bills at 25. Also, cb is more of a pressing need. However, if the Bills want speed on offense it’s possible there may be a wr available who runs a sub 4.4. 

Tons of speed available in FA as well. A few solid CBs in FA. We should get a better picture of the draft after the FA period opens.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'll take a good WR over a fast one.  If everything is even, give me the speed.

There are receivers who are both.  If there are two good receivers and one of them runs a 4.3 and one runs a 4.6, guess which one I want.

7 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

There are receivers who are both.  If there are two good receivers and one of them runs a 4.3 and one runs a 4.6, guess which one I want.

The one who has better hands, runs crisper routes and can outjump DBs for contested balls?  Just kidding....I agree that if all else is equal, you want the faster guy.  This is exactly what both of you just said.

Edited by msw2112

I said in another thread and I’ll keep saying all offseason: I hope the Bills go young and fast at WR, drafting two WRs in the first four rounds. 

Sanders, Beasley, and McKenzie may ALL be gone. After Diggs and Davis, the Bills have only unproven, raw guys like Stevenson and Hodgins.

Keep the offensive cupboards stocked. Add speed. Add weaponry. Great year to add a couple young wideouts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

I said in another thread and I’ll keep saying all offseason: I hope the Bills go young and fast at WR, drafting two WRs in the first four rounds. 

Sanders, Beasley, and McKenzie may ALL be gone. After Diggs and Davis, the Bills have only unproven, raw guys like Stevenson and Hodgins.

Keep the offensive cupboards stocked. Add speed. Add weaponry. Great year to add a couple young wideouts.

If Beasley leaves, I would like to keep McKenzie. But the KR job is unsettled so maybe sign and/or draft someone that can return kicks

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No nostalgia for the days of trading up in the 3rd round to draft not Russell Wilson but TJ Graham?

TJ Graham pick turned out great for me his dad was my FedX driver I got tons of free bills gear

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The one who has better hands, runs crisper routes and can outjump DBs for contested balls?  Just kidding....I agree that if all else is equal, you want the faster guy.  This is exactly what both of you just said.

Maybe rig a bunch more trick plays, where JA#17 hands off or laterals, and factors in as a receiver? 🤔

I didn't say it was a good idea.  Besides, Wrecks has long since left the building.

15 hours ago, Logic said:

The problem with you position is that WR’s rarely make a big contribution year #1. The Bills also have very strong need for another QB and an OG.  They could draft two WR’s though I doubt they will.

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The problem with you position is that WR’s rarely make a big contribution year #1. The Bills also have very strong need for another QB and an OG.  They could draft two WR’s though I doubt they will.

True and and no disrespect by jumping in on the conversation, but in my opinion, they'll re-sign Bates and a FA qb. I doubt they would put a rookie next to Brown on the right side, so I think they already have the starting 5 on OL set (unless Morse calls it a day of course). If anything, they'll look to upgrade Mongo later in the draft. So 2 WR's would not surprise me in this draft. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh, I'm still salty about that one.

Right up there with trading up to #4 for Sammy Watkins when Khalil Mack was drafted at #5  Aaron Donald went #13.

FIFY

No trade up AT ALL was necessary to get the best defensive player of the 2000's.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh, I'm still salty about that one.

Right up there with trading up to #4 for Sammy Watkins when Khalil Mack was drafted at #5

Yeah, the Watkins deal was one of the most headshaking moments in Bills lore.  Beane and crew have been much smarter in their moves.  However, they are not 100% either.  

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

True and and no disrespect by jumping in on the conversation, but in my opinion, they'll re-sign Bates and a FA qb. I doubt they would put a rookie next to Brown on the right side, so I think they already have the starting 5 on OL set (unless Morse calls it a day of course). If anything, they'll look to upgrade Mongo later in the draft. So 2 WR's would not surprise me in this draft. 

I agree with what your saying, but in the event a rookie guard won a starting spot, I think they would play him next to Brown, but I think they look at a guard who can compete for a staring spot this year, with more of an eye towards the future. 

As far as WR, completely agree. I think they take two this draft. The talent at WR this draft is just amazing, including good speed all over the draft at WR. With that said, I don’t think we take WR in round 1. You never know, especially before FA, but it just seems the value and BPA may end up being another position. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I doubt the Bills draft a QB to be a backup. That’s more likely to a vet. It doesn’t make sense taking a young later round QB to be our backup. We need a backup who can atleast have a chance to go .500 if Allen is out. 

As far as guard, I do think we draft one this draft. It will depend how things fall/FA where they take one. 

In regards to WR’s not contributing much year 1, although true, that narrative seems to be shifting as the league becomes more pass first, especially when we have a QB like Allen who won’t be a hinderance to production for a WR. This is a fantastic draft to pick up 2 WR’s. My guess would be the higher pick would be a slot guy, and the later pick more of an outside guy. If Sanders were to come back this year, he would be an excellent bridge being able to play both outside and inside while the young guys learn and get worked in on things they can do early. I mean, look at Davis as a 4th round rookie, he looked very good. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think WRs are making stronger 1st year contributions than ever these days. That said, I could see them signing a mid level free agent like Berrios and then drafting a youngster.

Im guessing the QB you mention will be a veteran FA, not a draftee. Guard could be either.

In any case, I say again: keep the cupboards stocked. Keep the offense elite!

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

FIFY

No trade up AT ALL was necessary to get the best defensive player of the 2000's.

When You're Right,  You're Right.  In hindsight here, Donald is the better player

Being honest about my own past takes though, in that draft I really wanted Khalil Mack.  When the trade up was announced, I was all excited jumping up and down "Whoo we're going to draft Mack!" 

7 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I agree with what your saying, but in the event a rookie guard won a starting spot, I think they would play him next to Brown, but I think they look at a guard who can compete for a staring spot this year, with more of an eye towards the future. 

As far as WR, completely agree. I think they take two this draft. The talent at WR this draft is just amazing, including good speed all over the draft at WR. With that said, I don’t think we take WR in round 1. You never know, especially before FA, but it just seems the value and BPA may end up being another position. 

I'll preface this with, I am more defensive minded and I don't think averaging 36+ points a game is realistic for an offense.

Anything is possible. But if they keep William's (which I think they will) I believe he will be much better at RG this year now that Brown has a year under his belt as well as a full offseason. Then add in a new OLine coach (awesome decision), I just don't see a change coming to the starters. Then you have Doyle (ST), Ford (don't laugh,  I still have hope a new coach brings him around), I just don't see a need for a higher draft pick. Again, if Morse hangs it up, all bets are off. But then you have a choice of Mongo or Bates that can start at center if needed. So I kind of still stick with Mongo would be the one for a possible upgrade and he is not one of our starters.

As to the WR, No, I don't think nor want a 1st rnd WR. Too deep of a class in my opinion for a 1st rnd pick. Josh will help elevate any WR. Plus we are not in need of a #1. We need a 2,3 maybe even a 4th WR. Diggs, Davis are 1&2 and in order to go BPA in the draft, they will have someone already in place for a 3 or 4.

FA will determine a LOT, so right now it's all best guess.

But look at our FA's next year and I could see them using that as part of the thought process for some late picks this year. Gives them the ability to rotate in a little this year for experience and evaluation. Before next FA and Draft. I just think Our staff are planners and don't really look at today only in the draft. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'll preface this with, I am more defensive minded and I don't think averaging 36+ points a game is realistic for an offense.

Anything is possible. But if they keep William's (which I think they will) I believe he will be much better at RG this year now that Brown has a year under his belt as well as a full offseason. Then add in a new OLine coach (awesome decision), I just don't see a change coming to the starters. Then you have Doyle (ST), Ford (don't laugh,  I still have hope a new coach brings him around), I just don't see a need for a higher draft pick. Again, if Morse hangs it up, all bets are off. But then you have a choice of Mongo or Bates that can start at center if needed. So I kind of still stick with Mongo would be the one for a possible upgrade and he is not one of our starters.

As to the WR, No, I don't think nor want a 1st rnd WR. Too deep of a class in my opinion for a 1st rnd pick. Josh will help elevate any WR. Plus we are not in need of a #1. We need a 2,3 maybe even a 4th WR. Diggs, Davis are 1&2 and in order to go BPA in the draft, they will have someone already in place for a 3 or 4.

FA will determine a LOT, so right now it's all best guess.

But look at our FA's next year and I could see them using that as part of the thought process for some late picks this year. Gives them the ability to rotate in a little this year for experience and evaluation. Before next FA and Draft. I just think Our staff are planners and don't really look at today only in the draft. 

Yeah I agree with your take on the O-line, I see it the same way. Unless Morse retires, it will most likely be the same starting 5. I’m thinking more a mid to later round pick at guard who can be depth and possible starter down the road (maybe a second year starter after we move on from Williams). 

I wouldn’t be surprised is the Bills bring back Sanders on a 1 year deal. It looks like we are either trading or cutting Bease and Sander would make sense as a guy who can play both inside and outside. This would give the Bills more flexibility for the draft. 

Being more of a defensive person, what position are you hoping for in the first? Obviously it depends on FA and how the draft falls, but I’m starting to lean CB, it just feels like there will be a few good options at that position at 25. 

4 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Yeah I agree with your take on the O-line, I see it the same way. Unless Morse retires, it will most likely be the same starting 5. I’m thinking more a mid to later round pick at guard who can be depth and possible starter down the road (maybe a second year starter after we move on from Williams). 

I wouldn’t be surprised is the Bills bring back Sanders on a 1 year deal. It looks like we are either trading or cutting Bease and Sander would make sense as a guy who can play both inside and outside. This would give the Bills more flexibility for the draft. 

Being more of a defensive person, what position are you hoping for in the first? Obviously it depends on FA and how the draft falls, but I’m starting to lean CB, it just feels like there will be a few good options at that position at 25. 

As it sits today, I am on the CB train in the 1st. I am begging for a small trade back to pick up an additional 3rd or early 4th. Just seems like there are so many good prospects currently in that area of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I think WRs are making stronger 1st year contributions than ever these days. That said, I could see them signing a mid level free agent like Berrios and then drafting a youngster.

Im guessing the QB you mention will be a veteran FA, not a draftee. Guard could be either.

In any case, I say again: keep the cupboards stocked. Keep the offense elite!

What about Berrios excites you? From my understanding from listening to some Jets guys is he had three good games. Berrios’ name has gotten some buzz and he might get Beasley money without proving he can produce consistently like Beasley. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I have no idea who it will be, but I see them adding another vet like Beasley, John Brown, Sanders, etc. Guys who have been around the block you know can contribute for 2-3 years. With that and a new guy or two will will be fine. Hopefully one of the young guys like Hodgins or Stevenson will make a leap and surprise us, but I’m not counting on it. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What about Berrios excites you? From my understanding from listening to some Jets guys is he had three good games. Berrios’ name has gotten some buzz and he might get Beasley money without proving he can produce consistently like Beasley. 

Im not super excited by Berrios.

I can just see the Bills wanting to add a vet for the short term and a rookie for the long term. If Berrios doesn’t command big money, I can see the staff liking his versatility — core special teams guy, veteran in the slot, quickness and agility. 

I have no attachment to him. I’d actually rather see the Bills just draft two of these fast young rookies and go young. Diggs and Davis are vets, both now in their prime. Let’s get some youth and speed behind them.

…but again…I could see this staff going after a Berrios type if they lose Beasley.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.