Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

The problem with Allen's current deal is it's going to become obsolete soon in that Beane is going to be forced to pay him even more money assuming Allen is truly among the league's elite QBs in the next few years.

Assuming Allen is truly among the leagues elite QB in the next few years lol. Man you just don’t like Allen do you?? 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure why everyone is so surprised.

This is the economic reality of the game today.

It's worth repeating that Ryan Fitzpatrick has career earnings of over EIGHTY-TWO MILLION DOLLARS.

Dude is a border-line non-starter.....

But there it is.

It’s not that I’m surprised, it’s just I’m surprised your going to pay a QB like Carr, Allen and Mahomes type of money. Especially when he’s been extremely inconsistent majority of his career

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Where he helped the Bills was with the length of the contract.

Sort of. but it would’ve been better if he signed a 10 year like Mahomes. Or at least an eight.

I think six year deals will be common for the teams that are confident in their quarterbacks long-term abilities. Guys like Jackson and Mayfield if they get a new deal at all will probably be looking at four year deals.

I would expect Justin Herbert to get a 6+ year deal when he resigns.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

These aren't built in excuses.  Simply pointing out that a 2nd year QB, coming off an ACL tear, led his team - who hadn't won a playoff game in 31 years - to the Super Bowl despite the adversity. 

You're hard to impress.

Yeah you may be correct, I might be hard to impress… and your points are valid, I just see a significant drop off when watching Mahomes Rodgers Allen then watching Burrow.

i will admit that I never watched a full Bengals game in the regular season, but I did watch all four of their post season games and maybe that’s why I’m have difficulty seeing how anyone can include him with those guys because if we’re being honest Burrow wasn’t much more than average in those 4 games.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

KC and Buffalo made out like BANDITS with their QB contracts...I almost feel sorry for these other teams with "kinda good" QBs they have to pay.  Almost.

I think Allen and Bills made a fair deal.  He still had a fourth rookie year and a $23M fifth year option when it got signed.  They got rolled up with his extension.  It’s complicated, but the additional 5 seasons pay works out to $47M per year.  The deal keeps him here through 2028.  $47M AAV is a bit high for today, but it is a good approximation of fair market value in 2023 when the new seasons kick in.  Also the new broadcasting deals start in 2023 so considering those it actually might be below market.  But Allen got a chunk of money early and some real security through guarantees.  It was a win-win IMO. 

24 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Sort of. but it would’ve been better if he signed a 10 year like Mahomes. Or at least an eight.

I think six year deals will be common for the teams that are confident in their quarterbacks long-term abilities. Guys like Jackson and Mayfield if they get a new deal at all will probably be looking at four year deals.

I would expect Justin Herbert to get a 6+ year deal when he resigns.

Yes, QBs typically sign 4 year deals.  5 year deals with some "elite" QBs.  Taking away Mahomes 10 year extremely unique deal, Josh Allen

is the only 6 year deal I've ever heard of.

Teams and the player have to agree to the length and we will all have to see if 5-6 (or more) years become the norm.

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Josh's six year extension is looking better everyday.   We really got lucky with the timing of Josh's contract and the state of the salary cap.  We're even luckier that Josh agreed to tack six years onto the end of his rookie contract.  He'd be worth $50+ if his contract was extended next year.

There is no luck needed when your GM is a wizard. He just makes it so...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I think Allen and Bills made a fair deal.  He still had a fourth rookie year and a $23M fifth year option when it got signed.  They got rolled up with his extension.  It’s complicated, but the additional 5 seasons pay works out to $47M per year.  The deal keeps him here through 2028.  $47M AAV is a bit high for today, but it is a good approximation of fair market value in 2023 when the new seasons kick in.  Also the new broadcasting deals start in 2023 so considering those it actually might be below market.  But Allen got a chunk of money early and some real security through guarantees.  It was a win-win IMO. 

No, I think you miss my point.  I'm not saying the Bills "got over" on Josh...I'm saying that when you're looking at a QB like Derek freaking Carr getting 40M per, Josh at an average of 47M for the next six years is a bargain.

Derek Carr isn't in Josh's stratosphere.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

No, I think you miss my point.  I'm not saying the Bills "got over" on Josh...I'm saying that when you're looking at a QB like Derek freaking Carr getting 40M per, Josh at an average of 47M for the next six years is a bargain.

Derek Carr isn't in Josh's stratosphere.

I don’t disagree.  I just wanted to add some detail and context to the discussion.  

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

That backup QB they used when Lamar got hurt did pretty well passing the ball or they draft someone. 

3 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

Actually, Hundley looked to be better passer than Jackson. Jackson injuries will probably increase as time goes on and his body wears down, he is putting on mileage like a running back. I have similar concern for Josh, but I believe Josh can become a mostly passer only weapon not sure if Jackson can.

It seems like something to say, but it isn't what actually took place. Hundley did a good job running, not passing. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

That's how distorted the QB market has become. This man has had 2 good seasons in his career of 8 seasons, winning 1 playoff game. Paying him 40 million not only limits the Raiders ability to surround him with talent, but takes away his will to aspire to being one of the best in the NFL.

One of the best In the NFL???🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 cmon man lol. Guy is average at best. He’s proven he can’t beat either Mahomes or Herbert on a consistent bases

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/10958/derek-carr

Josh's six year extension is looking better everyday.   We really got lucky with the timing of Josh's contract and the state of the salary cap.  We're even luckier that Josh agreed to tack six years onto the end of his rookie contract.  He'd be worth $50+ if his contract was extended next year.

Tellin ya....Beane knows what he is doing.   That mega contract Josh Allen received is going to look less expensive with every passing year.

Will it force us to play draft picks sooner?  Probably but that is the way of things when you have a unicorn qb.

PS....Carr is not worth that money

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he beat Herbert in what was literally the biggest game of the year for both. Win and you are in. Carr won. 

I’m talking on a consistent basis not one game. Also Carr didn’t win that game on his own, Jacobs had over 125 plus in rushing yards and a td. Some of you guys are delusional when it comes to Carr 

Raiders paying 40 million to a guy who has a 57-70 record would be a typical Raider move. I’m sure Charger fans,Chiefs fans and even Bronco fans are laughing their asses off. 40 million😂😂🤣🤣

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Wouldn’t ever call $43M/yr a “steal,” especially when he comes in at 2nd highest paid. It’s fair market value, based on the current flawed market.

And you obviously don’t understand either… even though you explained it 🤦🏻‍♂️

QBs like Carr… who are nowhere near the player Josh Allen is… are going to start getting deals around $40M/yr and above. Jackson, Mayfield, etc. 

It’s a steal as the market will continue to go berserk… as proven by guys like Carr and Jackson being discussed at $40M/yr QBs… 

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I mean.... If Dak is getting $40M per then what makes you think Carr won't get the same? 

What bothers me the most is, the guy who is NEXT wants the MOST. The guy who is BEST should get the most!

I think it was another wise move to make Josh a VERY wealthy man when they did, and better for us in the long run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he probably isn't a Superbowl Quarterback. But the reality is top 12 - Derek Carr level - Quarterback play is not easy. You could spin the wheel and end up worse. 

I think this "you have a top 5 guy or should just throw everything in the bin and spin the wheel" approach is utter nonsense. 

What world are we living in where a Top 12 QB is worth 40 mil per?

Honestly, if Jackson could stay healthy I feel it's a no brainer. He can still get better where I think Carr has topped out. Jackson outside of Hollywood Brown and Andrews doesn't have much. Mayfield isn't even in the convo at this point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.