Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

1 minute ago, nucci said:

or the year after or the year after that. Most contracts will increase every year. NFL about to sign more TV deals...Sunday ticket up for bid...of course Allen's deal will look better than ones signed in future years

And that is it when you sign a Quaterback to an extension you know that the first couple of years you are going to have to make some cap decisions. The Bills will as well. They have next year and the way they have structured things they probably have 2023 too and then their window will narrow (no close, narrow) for a couple of years and then open up again at the backend of the deal. The difference is having an elite guy like Allen keeps the window open in that intervening period. When you have a guy who is just in the "good" category like Derek Carr then those two years when that deal still feels expensive are tough. But the alternative is shouting "stop the world I want to get off" that is just a bad strategy. 

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think there’s a pretty successful book out that talks about good being the enemy of great. Not sure what it’s titled though. 

And in lots of areas of life, I agree. In a 32 team NFL where the supply of good QBs is totally incapable of meeting demand I'm afraid I fall more on the other side of the fence. 

And I remind people that the Rams and the Chiefs had paid their mid range guys (neither of whom were as good as Carr) and were competitive with those guys and were still able to find a way to upgrade. 

52 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m not putting Burrow or Hurbert in the group yet… I just watched Allen match Burrow’s 5 Playoff TDs in 4 games… Allen did it in one… not sure what people are seeing in Burrow other than he was supposed to be great at #1 overall

The press needs headlines.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

or the year after or the year after that. Most contracts will increase every year. NFL about to sign more TV deals...Sunday ticket up for bid...of course Allen's deal will look better than ones signed in future years

Yes, the smart money is on escalating salaries. That's why it makes sense to extend good players who you will have for multiple seasons, early. Knox and Diggs, and soon Davis come to mind.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And that is it when you sign a Quaterback to an extension you know that the first couple of years you are going to have to make some cap decisions. The Bills will as well. They have next year and the way they have structured things they probably have 2023 too and then their window will narrow (no close, narrow) for a couple of years and then open up again at the backend of the deal. The difference is having an elite guy like Allen keeps the window open in that intervening period. When you have a guy who is just in the "good" category like Derek Carr then those two years when that deal still feels expensive are tough. But the alternative is shouting "stop the world I want to get off" that is just a bad strategy. 

Agree.

I think people are undervaluing the fact that Josh agreed to a six year extension on the tail end of his rookie deal.  Going forward, I suspect most QBs won't be willing to sign a contract extension longer than 4 years because of their desire to get another quick bite of an ever growing apple.  Josh didn't cut the Bills any slack with the annual average amount of his contract, it was a market value contract.  Where he helped the Bills was with the length of the contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

So hypothetically....the Bills should be ok with Tyrod for the rest of his career because it keeps the league competitive and makes them money.

Sorry man, i just dont agree with keeping a mid tier QB around. 

How many years did Dalton throw away for the Bengals? Tannehill? These arent superbowl winning QBs. These teams needed to move on from them years before they did.

EXACTLY!  

47 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

FilthyBeast has to be sick to his stomach that Carr is about to make $40M/year considering he feels that Josh’s contract was a bad contract. 

This exercise very clearly proves that Josh getting $43M/year was a steal.

Although anyone with a brain knew lesser QBs were going to get inflated deals.

Wouldn’t ever call $43M/yr a “steal,” especially when he comes in at 2nd highest paid. It’s fair market value, based on the current flawed market.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

I’m not putting Burrow or Hurbert in the group yet… I just watched Allen match Burrow’s 5 Playoff TDs in 4 games… Allen did it in one… not sure what people are seeing in Burrow other than he was supposed to be great at #1 overall

A 2nd year QB coming off an ACL tear, leading his team to the Super Bowl with arguably the worst pass blocking line in the league.

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

A 2nd year QB coming off an ACL tear, leading his team to the Super Bowl with arguably the worst pass blocking line in the league.

So these are the built in excuses ? I think he had an outstanding regular season but they made it to the super bowl with an outstanding draw and excellent defense at times, Burrow threw 5 TDs in four games… thats not elite or even great

i like him.. he’s not close to Mahomes or Allen at this point and I’d put Hurbert ahead of him. IMHO of course

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agree.

I think people are undervaluing the fact that Josh agreed to a six year extension on the tail end of his rookie deal.  Going forward, I suspect most QBs won't be willing to sign a contract extension longer than 4 years because of their desire to get another quick bite of an ever growing apple.  Josh didn't cut the Bills any slack with the annual average amount of his contract, it was a market value contract.  Where he helped the Bills was with the length of the contract.

The deal Mahomes gave the Chiefs seems insane, he's under contract until 2031.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The deal Mahomes gave the Chiefs seems insane, he's under contract until 2031.

I don’t put much stock into it. He and his camp will almost certainly ask to renegotiate when other QBs have deals that exceed his, thanks to the ever growing salary cap.

35 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agree.

Exactly.  Per Josh Allen's current contract he is scheduled to make an average of $43M from 2026 thru 2028.  Those years will be such

a bargain.  With Josh's contract all this "window" stuff concerning a QB contract will not really materialize.  

The Darek Carr's of the NFL will be signing for over $60M at a minimum in those years.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

I think hes in the same Tier as Dalton when Dalton was at his best. A little better than average.

Daltons better years were just as good as Carr's. I think its safe to say we are about as near as Carr's ceiling as we are gonna get.

QB 11 doesnt cut it with that roster. If you pay him 40 million he wont get the team he needs around him.

Carr COULD be better with better coaching / off-season work but I cannot see it with incoming team.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/10958/derek-carr

Josh's six year extension is looking better everyday.   We really got lucky with the timing of Josh's contract and the state of the salary cap.  We're even luckier that Josh agreed to tack six years onto the end of his rookie contract.  He'd be worth $50+ if his contract was extended next year.

The problem with Allen's current deal is it's going to become obsolete soon in that Beane is going to be forced to pay him even more money assuming Allen is truly among the league's elite QBs in the next few years.

Not sure why everyone is so surprised.

This is the economic reality of the game today.

It's worth repeating that Ryan Fitzpatrick has career earnings of over EIGHTY-TWO MILLION DOLLARS.

Dude is a border-line non-starter.....

But there it is.

56 minutes ago, julian said:

So these are the built in excuses ? I think he had an outstanding regular season but they made it to the super bowl with an outstanding draw and excellent defense at times, Burrow threw 5 TDs in four games… thats not elite or even great

i like him.. he’s not close to Mahomes or Allen at this point and I’d put Hurbert ahead of him. IMHO of course

These aren't built in excuses.  Simply pointing out that a 2nd year QB, coming off an ACL tear, led his team - who hadn't won a playoff game in 31 years - to the Super Bowl despite the adversity. 

You're hard to impress.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I wish I was better at sports

That and in my case, forty years younger…

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

The Ravens are probably sick to their stomach seeing this. If Carr can get a 40 million per extension then I can only imagine what they will have to pay LJ.

Actually, Hundley looked to be better passer than Jackson. Jackson injuries will probably increase as time goes on and his body wears down, he is putting on mileage like a running back. I have similar concern for Josh, but I believe Josh can become a mostly passer only weapon not sure if Jackson can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Joe Mama said:

Actually, Hundley looked to be better passer than Jackson. Jackson injuries will probably increase as time goes on and his body wears down, he is putting on mileage like a running back. I have similar concern for Josh, but I believe Josh can become a mostly passer only weapon not sure if Jackson can.

I am hoping the Bills can build a better running game. Josh shouldn't be the main threat running. He is young now but eventually those hits will take their toll. I also hope Josh runs less next year and just throws it. Let the RB whoever that may be do the running. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.