Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he beat Herbert in what was literally the biggest game of the year for both. Win and you are in. Carr won. 

Did you walk away from that game thinking Carr was a better QB than Herbert?

I know the win is all that matters but you're kidding yourself if you believe Carr is better than Herbert or Burrow is better than Mahomes or Allen because he was in the SB . Not insulting your post because I'm sure you realize wins come from more than just QB play. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

What world are we living in where a Top 12 QB is worth 40 mil per?

Honestly, if Jackson could stay healthy I feel it's a no brainer. He can still get better where I think Carr has topped out. Jackson outside of Hollywood Brown and Andrews doesn't have much. Mayfield isn't even in the convo at this point. 

So I agree, the market is screwed up. It is totally inefficient. If you have a top 4 to 6 QB they are expensive but they can carry your team. If you have a guy in the next bracket sort of 6 or 7 to 12 that is production that is really hard to replicate. So you want to pay them. But the market barely recognises those tiers as different. It puts you in a bind. But the problem is if you don't do it someone else will, it is the problem when demand outstrips supply. The great get paid like they are great. The good get paid like they are great too. 

And agree on Baker. At this point I would not pay him. The smart move is let him play on the option and then if needs be tag him. 

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Did you walk away from that game thinking Carr was a better QB than Herbert?

I know the win is all that matters but you're kidding yourself if you believe Carr is better than Herbert or Burrow is better than Mahomes or Allen. Not insulting your post because I'm sure you realize wins come from more than just QB play. 

No I didn't but the accusation was the Raiders are stupid for paying him cos he can't beat Herbert when the Raiders literally just beat the Chargers in an all or nothing game. 

You are right wins come from more than Quarterback play. Which is why simply saying "well Derek Carr has only made the playoffs twice" as some have is asnine too.

I get it Carr needs more things right around him than the Raiders have provided for the most part. He does. But put say even a Mayfield on this team and I think they win 5 or 6 games absolute max. There are lots of problems with Vegas. But Derek Carr is the least of them. There is him, Waller and Crosby and then a lot of chaff. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

And you obviously don’t understand either… even though you explained it 🤦🏻‍♂️

QBs like Carr… who are nowhere near the player Josh Allen is… are going to start getting deals around $40M/yr and above. Jackson, Mayfield, etc. 

It’s a steal as the market will continue to go berserk… as proven by guys like Carr and Jackson being discussed at $40M/yr QBs… 

It’s not a “steal” at the time the deal is made if it makes him the 2nd highest paid player in the league. Some QB like Herbert or Burrow will end up resetting the market in the years to come, yes, but it doesn’t make the current deal a steal if you’re comparing it to future deals that haven’t even been inked. It was fair market value, not a steal, unless you believe he should’ve been given a contract that exceeded Mahomes.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I agree, the market is screwed up. It is totally inefficient. If you have a top 4 to 6 QB they are expensive but they can carry your team. If you have a guy in the next bracket sort of 6 or 7 to 12 that is production that is really hard to replicate. So you want to pay them. But the market barely recognises those tiers as different. It puts you in a bind. But the problem is if you don't do it someone else will, it is the problem when demand outstrips supply. The great get paid like they are great. The good get paid like they are great too. 

And agree on Baker. At this point I would not pay him. The smart move is let him play on the option and then if needs be tag him. 

No I didn't but the accusation was the Raiders are stupid for paying him cos he can't beat Herbert when the Raiders literally just beat the Chargers in an all or nothing game. 

You are right wins come from more than Quarterback play. Which is why simply saying "well Derek Carr has only made the playoffs twice" as some have is asnine too.

I get it Carr needs more things right around him than the Raiders have provided for the most part. He does. But put say even a Mayfield on this team and I think they win 5 or 6 games absolute max. There are lots of problems with Vegas. But Derek Carr is the least of them. There is him, Waller and Crosby and then a lot of chaff. 

How’s it asnine? Tell me exactly what makes Carr not one of the problems in LV?? Or during his time in Oakland?? Look at his stats, he’s wildly inconsistent. He can’t read defenses, he has happy feet and checks down to the RB when he can’t find anyone. He had a grand total of 28 turnovers this season, 14 INTS and 14 fumbles. I don’t see what you guys see in him. He can’t beat the Chiefs consistently. He has a 57-70 record as a starting QB. He’s a poor mans Andy Dalton and Alex Smith. Infact I remember Smith and Chiefs owning Carr before Mahomes came around. Also IF Rodgers does end up in Denver then that easily makes Carr the worst QB in that division 

• Disagree 2

How many playoff games has car won, oh, and has he ever won his division? Asking for a friend…

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 QBs in the AFC going to be making 40 plus million a year by 2025

Mahomes 

Allen

Herbert

Burrow

Jackson

Carr

Baker (if he resumes 2020 form yes he is)

Watson (if innocent)

Lawrence (I believe) 

So will all their windows be closed?

The NFC QBs in 2024 making 30-40 million:

Dak

Wilson?

Rodgers? 

Cousins?  

Stafford?

?

?

And Wilson and Rodgers could end up in the AFC as soon as this season.  I doubt it but...

• Like (+1) 1

Carr is the new Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. You can do better, but you can do worse too.

They are right on that line. They aren't good enough to get you anywhere special, and they aren't bad enough to really actively want to replace them.

• Like (+1) 1

Carr is better than a lot of people in this thread think. His WR corps, OL, and defense are average at best. The only elite player on that offense is Waller. Carr is a QB you can win with, it just takes more talent around him than the Allens and Mahomes of the world need. Replacing Carr wouldn't solve their problems. They simply need to draft better.

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

Paying the second teir guys like Carr, Baker, Cousins ect 80-90% of elite QB money is a death move.

Carr is 2nd tier. Cousins is 3rd tier. Baker is 4th tier. They are not at all the same level of QB. It's much easier to build a team around a QB like Carr than it is to replace that caliber of QB play.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Carr is the new Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. You can do better, but you can do worse too.

They are right on that line. They aren't good enough to get you anywhere special, and they aren't bad enough to really actively want to replace them.

I think he is a tier above both of those guys. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Carr is 2nd tier. Cousins is 3rd tier. Baker is 4th tier. They are not at all the same level of QB. It's much easier to build a team around a QB like Carr than it is to replace that caliber of QB play.

THIS. 

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

8 QBs in the AFC going to be making 40 plus million a year by 2025

Mahomes 

Allen

Herbert

Burrow

Jackson

Carr

Baker (if he resumes 2020 form yes he is)

Watson (if innocent he doesn't go to jail)

Lawrence (I believe) 

Fixed.

I know, I know, rushing to judgment on my part, but when you get the 13th, 14th, 15th alleger...I'm thinking there is something there there.

But I know what you meant, BB, just stressing the point.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

how many of those years did we end up with a top 5 pick? 3?

If you can be horrible and get a top 3 pick 2-3 years in a row...you can turn it around a lot quicker.

Can you provide any example of what you are suggesting? I cant think of a single scenario where a team was that awful consecutively and made a quick turn around. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can you provide any example of what you are suggesting? I cant think of a single scenario where a team was that awful consecutively and made a quick turn around. 

This literally just happened with Joe Burrow. lol

But yeah, its not easy either. 

I think if the Browns ended up taking Allen could have been a quick turnaround for them.

Chargers sucked for 1 year and got Justin Herbert, if he shows even more improvement youre looking at a quick turnaround with a potential elite qb,

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. Dalton and Smith both had some really good regular seasons in their days. But they both lacked that ability to put the team on their backs in critical situations. I think Carr lacks that as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

And yet if you look at the teams who have sustained successes over the last 20 years, it’s all teams with elite QB’s. With a Carr level QB you need everything else to click in order to be competitive. As a fan, I’m not interested in a one hit wonder season. I’d rather bottom out and keep trying to get a QB that gives the team a legitimate chance at playoffs/superbowl Every year.

Also Cousins is just as good or better than Carr.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

THIS. 

I did a quick on line look,  Carr really hasn’t won anything to speak of as a pro, he has had a few good seasons, but as I said up thread, has he ever won his division?

Carr may be a bit above those that are a bit above average. I guess that could make him a 2nd tier QB, but winning his division even once might be an indicator of being 2nd tier, hell, even Dak pulled that off, of course wiki may not have such a milestone listed.., 😁

Just now, Don Otreply said:

I did a quick on line look,  Carr really hasn’t won anything to speak of as a pro, he has had a few good seasons, but as I said up thread, has he ever won his division?

Carr may be a bit above those that are a bit above average. I guess that could make him a 2nd tier QB, but winning his division even once might be an indicator of being 2nd tier, hell, even Dak pulled that off, of course wiki may not have such a milestone listed.., 😁

On a terrible, dysfunctional team 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.