Derek Carr in line for $40 million per year extension

Inigo Montoya

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On a terrible, dysfunctional team 

Dak won his division on a totally did functional team…, 😁

On 2/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, Ramza86 said:

how many of those years did we end up with a top 5 pick? 3?

If you can be horrible and get a top 3 pick 2-3 years in a row...you can turn it around a lot quicker.

This will lead to a new coach and possibly GM, meaning a good chance of changing the teams identity, so reshaping the roster. 

All in all, there’s tough choices to make when your QB isn’t one of the star qb’s, but there just isn’t any guarantee that young guys will pan out. The last handful of years have many feeling it’s easy to get a top young QB, because there has been so many. However, think about the QB’s drafted from the mid 2000’s to early 2010’s. There wasn’t a’lot of stars like we’ve seen recently. 

Personally, I think every situation has to be examined on its own, and blanket approaches don’t work in regards to paying good qb’s top qb money. 

Think about a team like the Broncos or Colts, Carr would help them SO much and have them competing for the playoffs and more. The other side of the coin is a team like Houston or Detroit, Carr would be an upgrade, but they need so much more as it is. I think it really comes to, “It Depends”. 

Back in our drought days, I would have LOVED to have a qb like Carr. 

17 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

How’s it asnine? Tell me exactly what makes Carr not one of the problems in LV?? Or during his time in Oakland?? Look at his stats, he’s wildly inconsistent. He can’t read defenses, he has happy feet and checks down to the RB when he can’t find anyone. He had a grand total of 28 turnovers this season, 14 INTS and 14 fumbles. I don’t see what you guys see in him. He can’t beat the Chiefs consistently. He has a 57-70 record as a starting QB. He’s a poor mans Andy Dalton and Alex Smith. Infact I remember Smith and Chiefs owning Carr before Mahomes came around. Also IF Rodgers does end up in Denver then that easily makes Carr the worst QB in that division 

The Raiders had poor offensive line play this year, including tons of penalties on them. Also, competing Carrs record across his career, when just about everyone acknowledges that football is a team sport, doesn’t help a’lot. The Raiders as an organization haven’t exactly don’t Carr a’lot of favors. Imagine if they kept Cooper or Mack, I imagine Carr record would be better in the seasons post losing those two. Additionally, consider Carr on teams like the Colts, Broncos, Bucs, even Carolina. Those teams would be significant threats to just about any team. He isn’t a star by any means, but you can win with him. I honestly don’t see Carr being much different than Stafford. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

On a terrible, dysfunctional team 

I wouldn't go quite that far as to say "dysfunctional". They did kinda pull it together shortly after the Gruden stuff etc. But I do agree Carr could use some better players around him.

Interested to see how J. McD will do this time with a 2nd chance at HC. 

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

The Raiders had poor offensive line play this year, including tons of penalties on them. Also, competing Carrs record across his career, when just about everyone acknowledges that football is a team sport, doesn’t help a’lot. The Raiders as an organization haven’t exactly don’t Carr a’lot of favors. Imagine if they kept Cooper or Mack, I imagine Carr record would be better in the seasons post losing those two. Additionally, consider Carr on teams like the Colts, Broncos, Bucs, even Carolina. Those teams would be significant threats to just about any team. He isn’t a star by any means, but you can win with him. I honestly don’t see Carr being much different than Stafford. 

I don’t even see him in Stafford’s level. He can’t elevate the talent he has around him. And the raiders don’t have the cap space or draft picks to give away like the Rams did. So building an all star team  in LV ain’t happening. Also put Carr on the Rams and I guarantee they don’t make it to the SB. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

On 2/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, JayBaller10 said:

Wouldn’t ever call $43M/yr a “steal,” especially when he comes in at 2nd highest paid. It’s fair market value, based on the current flawed market.

What it does show though is it is a wise decision to lock up your good players early.  To Beane's credit he was sold on Josh early enough to extend him early.  With rising prices it is a good policy to extend at market price a year in advance. I think they will do it for Knox and Davis (and Diggs' new contract).  You don't get out unscathed but if you wait it is worse.

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

Also the raiders couldn’t afford to keep either Mack or Cooper when Carr got his 100 million contract. Also both Mack and Cooper wanted out of the raiders. 

51 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What it does show though is it is a wise decision to lock up your good players early.  To Beane's credit he was sold on Josh early enough to extend him early.  With rising prices it is a good policy to extend at market price a year in advance. I think they will do it for Knox and Davis (and Diggs' new contract).  You don't get out unscathed but if you wait it is worse.

Agreed. Definitely wise to do so before the cap went up. Not sold on a lucrative extension for Knox though.

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Agreed. Definitely wise to do so before the cap went up. Not sold on a lucrative extension for Knox though.

There were people who thought giving Josh the extension early was risky. These are the type of small risks the FO needs to continue. Knox is looking like the best TE the Bills have ever had, and people are hesitant to pay him Tonyan money.

If you have some doubts on the "pay your own" philosophy please keep the focus where it belongs - Singletary and Edmunds.

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

If you have some doubts on the "pay your own" philosophy please keep the focus where it belongs - Singletary and Edmunds.

I would say Ford way before Devin or Edmunds and actually wouldn't include Devin. He did what well once he finally got more opportunities the blocking finally improved.

But Ford for sure, I can see why you said Edmunds though, 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I would say Ford way before Devin or Edmunds and actually wouldn't include Devin. He did what well once he finally got more opportunities the blocking finally improved.

But Ford for sure, I can see why you said Edmunds though, 

I like Singletary, but to me the problem is, RBs are not worth it.  I would like to see them draft another.  Market price for veteran RBs look to be in the $5-6M range. Spotrac estimates Fournette/Connor/Michel in the $5-6m range and G Edwards/K Drake brought in $4-5M last year.

The FO loves Edmunds. They might extend him.

I didn't count Ford because I don't see much decision needed, you let his contract play out

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I like Singletary, but to me the problem is, RBs are not worth it.  I would like to see them draft another.  Market price for veteran RBs look to be in the $5-6M range. Spotrac estimates Fournette/Connor/Michel in the $5-6m range and G Edwards/K Drake brought in $4-5M last year.

The FO loves Edmunds. They might extend him.

I didn't count Ford because I don't see much decision needed, you let his contract play out

I'm not sure what Devin's numbers are and don't feel like looking up, but I wouldn't think he is over paid or anything. I definitely agree with you about another RB being added. I just don't have much confidence in Moss, maybe it's just me, or maybe just need to see how he does with new OL coach/Dorsey. Either way I'd still bring another RB to compete with him

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dak is a good Quarterback and has some players around him.

Dak plays for JJ, that pretty much makes it a dysfunctional team, 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.