Q. How much money are the Bengals Going to Offer Brandon Scherff?

st pete gogolak

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I really wanted the Bills to make a push for Trey Hendrickson myself.

But most of this is an assessment based on flawed criteria of what "ran circles" mean, comparing teams at different stages of a rebuild and with different cap space.

The Bengals had a ton of cap space, and they were big buyers in FA because they needed huge upgrades on defense, whereas the Bills have had a top-notch secondary.

And again, while I liked Trey Hendrickson and wanted the Bills to make a push for him, The Bengals made him the 8th highest paid DE in football - which I think is very fair for his 2020 stats and play overall, but not like "whoo, Bargain!" and it was based on 1 year of that kind of performance, huge jump off 2019.

Can you name a single high-impact free agent the Bills added during the last two offseasons?  Maybe Darryl Williams?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Zion Johnson may be there.  

And Zion would certainly help but he is an interior guy IMO. I know he has played left tackle some in college but he is primarily a guard who some think will actually be best at center in the NFL. He lacks the length and physical tools to play left tackle and they already have that in Jonah Williams. The real answer on that line is to find a proper left tackle and shift Williams inside to guard where he belongs. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Can you name a single high-impact free agent the Bills added during the last two offseasons?  Maybe Darryl Williams?

That's a sign of a strong roster building it the right way as we're a top 5 NFL team.  Draft, develop, re-sign, and make timely trades (Diggs).  Now all we have to do is improve communication with Tyler Bass.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's a sign of a strong roster building it the right way as we're a top 5 NFL team.  Draft, develop, re-sign, and make timely trades (Diggs).  Now all we have to do is improve communication with Tyler Bass.

No, it was not a sign of strong roster building when they signed Mario Addison, EJ Gaines, Vernon Butler, Quinton Jefferson, Josh Norman, Taiwan Jones and Quinton Spain, plus Darryl Williams, for their 2020 free agency “haul.”  It just was not.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s not a statue.  Not even close

He might not be a statue but he doesn't seem to feel pressure well, it's one of those skills you really can't teach but some QBs just seem to have it. 

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

As much flack as he gets Mario Addison has been a solid addition, maybe not an elite pass rusher but he does bring it at times. Reminscent in the mid 90s when added Jim Jeffcoat. 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

He might not be a statue but he doesn't seem to feel pressure well, it's one of those skills you really can't teach but some QBs just seem to have it. 

As much flack as he gets Mario Addison has been a solid addition, maybe not an elite pass rusher but he does bring it at times. Reminscent in the mid 90s when added Jim Jeffcoat. 

Just seems to be a hair late on his pocket movement.  If you want to drive the ball down the field consistently you need to effectively create time and space behind the LOS.   8.9% sack rate isn't crazy Rob Johnson high, but its high.  Higher than either of Allen's first 2 years, or Tyrod's first 2 years with Buffalo.  Higher than a lot of Russell Wilsons seasons, and higher than 3 out of 4 seasons that Watson had.  Wilson/Watson also had some pretty trash lines at times too.  

The Bengals are likely to invest heavily into their O-line in free agency and go O-line with pick 31. Had they lost to the Titans or KC before the Super Bowl that likely still would have happened. If the Bengals can get 2-3 impact starters on their O-line and get a piece or two in their secondary they should be a legit contender out of the AFC again. They got fortunate with turnovers in the divisional round and again got somewhat lucky in the AFCCG with turnovers. Their luck ran out in the Super Bowl and their weaknesses showed. Not sure where the Bengals go but I do expect them to go heavy on the O-line in both the draft and free agency. 

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, it was not a sign of strong roster building when they signed Mario Addison, EJ Gaines, Vernon Butler, Quinton Jefferson, Josh Norman, Taiwan Jones and Quinton Spain, plus Darryl Williams, for their 2020 free agency “haul.”  It just was not.

I am with you. This approach is quantity over quality, which is the wrong move. They are throwing a bunch of spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks. If you take all those contracts combined, you can probably sign two higher quality players. Crap is crap. Whether it's a big pile or a small, it's still crap. 

Meanwhile the Bengals grabbed two big fish for their D line in DJ Reader and Trey Hendrickson and all of a sudden they are in the Super Bowl. Add that to good drafting and a couple of smooth moves like acquiring BJ Hill and they have something going there. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:10 AM, Doc said:

Scherff's estimated to be in the $18M/year range.  Pass.

I agree.

"Scherff played the 2021 season on his second consecutive franchise tag at a value of $18.036 million, bringing his three-year earnings to $45,591,000. He already ranks in the top five among guards in career earnings, and he’s never signed a multi-year veteran contract."

"Bottom Line:
A healthy Scherff is the best interior offensive lineman scheduled to hit free agency this offseason, but it's difficult to bank on Scherff staying healthy through an entire NFL season."

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

21 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I guess if you look at just 2020 free agent signings in a vacuum it was Beane's weakest free agency class.  Although I will push back in that Addison was pretty good this year, D. Williams was excellent in 2020 before being just serviceable this year when moved to guard, and Taiwan Jones is an important special teams player.  The rest were misses but their weren't any outrageous contracts and the dead money was minimal.  You didn't list him but they overpaid for AJ Klein. The most important move in 2020 was trading for Diggs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.