Q. How much money are the Bengals Going to Offer Brandon Scherff?

st pete gogolak

Just now, Beerball said:

How did it work out for them? If a LB on Cupp is the best you can do then nati deserved to lose.

Poor execution of a play call doesn't make the call bad.  

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Not sure which is worse. The LB on Cupp or running your backup RB on 3rd and 1 when the game was on the line. Bengals deserved to lose. 

If he doesn't hold him there its 4th and goal from like the 2.  

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

A. A lot.

B.  Whatever it takes.

C. A ####load.

Honestly, has a team ever had an easier offseason than the Bengals?  $50 million under the cap.  Spend it on two quality OL and draft a couple more.  On the other hand, I'm not as afraid of the Bengals' cap space as some others on the board.  Do you really expect Mike Brown to spend to the cap?

I certainly don't expect Mike Brown to spend to the cap.    

But he is 86 years old and has a true franchise QB that he needs to keep happy and healthy so if EVER he is going to spend to the cap and then re-structure beyond it.......like basically every other team would do for Joe Burrow.........it would be in the next few seasons.

30 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Won't be a popular take I'm sure with all the Joe Burrow lovers out there, but he's a ***** statue out there and they will need to spend a ***** ton of money on the OL to keep his gimpy ass upright.

I don't think Burrow is a statue out there at all, but I think he's a bit less developed in his abilities to read coverage and react appropriately than his press clippings suggest. 

He benefits from having one of the best skill player corps in the league now with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, and Mixon.  I would need to watch all-22 to tell if they aren't developing a short passing game for him, or if he's just less developed in his decision making than the press clippings. 

From what I've seen, a number (not all!) of his sacks are decision-making.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Bengals’ barebones pro personnel dept ran circles around Beane’s arsenal of highly-touted GMs-in-waiting the last two offseasons.  They picked up two very good starting corners, a passrusher, and a space eater for bargain prices while OBD mostly sat out of free agency.  

Beane struck gold with Allen and he’s able to hide his otherwise mediocre ability to draft game changing talent.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Bengals’ barebones pro personnel dept ran circles around Beane’s arsenal of highly-touted GMs-in-waiting the last two offseasons.  They picked up two very good starting corners, a passrusher, and a space eater for bargain prices while OBD mostly sat out of free agency.  

I really wanted the Bills to make a push for Trey Hendrickson myself.

But most of this is an assessment based on flawed criteria of what "ran circles" mean, comparing teams at different stages of a rebuild and with different cap space.

The Bengals had a ton of cap space, and they were big buyers in FA because they needed huge upgrades on defense, whereas the Bills have had a top-notch secondary.

And again, while I liked Trey Hendrickson and wanted the Bills to make a push for him, The Bengals made him the 8th highest paid DE in football - which I think is very fair for his 2020 stats and play overall, but not like "whoo, Bargain!" and it was based on 1 year of that kind of performance, huge jump off 2019.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Where do you take this from? Sportrac has him at 12,9M. Let's say it's 40/3, with cap hit first year 10M. Count me in.

We're not going to go after Scherff, not at $18 million, not at $10 million.  I think we'll add depth to the OL with mid-round draft picks.  Everyone complaining about "too many high draft picks being devoted to defense" is falling into sunk cost fallacy.  Where can we get most help immediately from FA and the draft?  I think it's going to be some variation on veteran outside pass rusher on relatively bargain basis (Melvin Ingram?) and help at cornerback and possibly linebacker.  Would it be nice to add a  #1 round WR or RB?  Sure but I just don't see it.  

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

$18M for a guard? Pass.  

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Where do you take this from? Sportrac has him at 12,9M. Let's say it's 40/3, with cap hit first year 10M. Count me in.

He's made $12M, $15M and then $18M the last 3 years.  I doubt he'll accept just $12M.  Maybe closer to $16M than $18M.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Burrow is a statue out there at all, but I think he's a bit less developed in his abilities to read coverage and react appropriately than his press clippings suggest. 

He benefits from having one of the best skill player corps in the league now with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, and Mixon.  I would need to watch all-22 to tell if they aren't developing a short passing game for him, or if he's just less developed in his decision making than the press clippings. 

From what I've seen, a number (not all!) of his sacks are decision-making.

Yeah, some of his problem with sacks is likely decision making (holding it too long), along with poor line play. I just don't feel like he moves all that well for a modern QB. 

4 minutes ago, Beerball said:

OK, a LB on the most productive WR in the NFL is a good plan.

It's not like it was man coverage on the boundary though.  It's probably cover 4 or something like that when facing an empty set.  If he doesn't hold there the safety is already coming up to hit kupp before the end zone.  If its lead too far that safety can challenge the catch point, pick it off, or hit him hard to force an incompletion. 

The hold was unnecessary in that zone look.  The underneath defender took the RB check down.  The outside leverage guy took the over the top route knowing the safety is there inside, and the safety bolted for kupp as soon as the checkdown gets covered.  I'm not sure its a completion even without the hold.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It's not like it was man coverage on the boundary though.  It's probably cover 4 or something like that when facing an empty set.  If he doesn't hold there the safety is already coming up to hit kupp before the end zone.  If its lead too far that safety can challenge the catch point, pick it off, or hit him hard to force an incompletion. 

The hold was unnecessary in that zone look.  The underneath defender took the RB check down.  The outside leverage guy took the over the top route knowing the safety is there inside, and the safety bolted for kupp as soon as the checkdown gets covered.  I'm not sure its a completion even without the hold.  

All true - but when the refs are (not) calling the game a specific way for 56 minutes, it's fair for the players to start to think they can play a certain way without ramification... hold was unnecessary but it was a very unfair call at that point in that game given how they'd been letting them play all night.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I would have taken Penei Sewell and while you certainly can't question them picking the OROY the reality is their biggest need was, and is still, LT. Good luck finding a stud at the end of round 1. 

When I was at last years draft and the Bengals pick had been made, I walked over to a group of Bengals fans and I asked them why aren't you getting a player who can protect your QB instead of getting another offensive weapon?

They were just as puzzled as I was, even though they did like Jamarr Chase.

4 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Won't be a popular take I'm sure with all the Joe Burrow lovers out there, but he's a ***** statue out there and they will need to spend a ***** ton of money on the OL to keep his gimpy ass upright.

He’s not a statue.  Not even close

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.