Ok 716 locals, need recommendations

Pine Barrens Mafia

You're back!  Welcome!

So, for Italian, it's this one.  https://ilovechefs.com/  Check the scheduling 'cause it's dodgy later in weekend and early in the week.  I caught it one time with my parents when I was back in WNY, but the second time was a no go.  Still, it's friendly and fun, and their execution if Italian food, at least in the diners/drive-ins/dives kind of mantra, is really good.  There are better Italian restaurants in WNY certainly, but this one meets the casual and pricing vibes.

2 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

You're back!  Welcome!

So, for Italian, it's this one.  https://ilovechefs.com/  Check the scheduling 'cause it's dodgy later in weekend and early in the week.  I caught it one time with my parents when I was back in WNY, but the second time was a no go.  Still, it's friendly and fun, and their execution if Italian food, at least in the diners/drive-ins/dives kind of mantra, is really good.  There are better Italian restaurants in WNY certainly, but this one meets the casual and pricing vibes.

My parents had a regular (I believe almost weekly?) dinner at Chef’s. That was their place, despite not being close by. (I’m in Atlanta now, so NOTHING in Buffalo is too hard to get to.) They may have taken me once as a young kid, because I have a vague memory of spaghetti and meatballs.  But as I got old enough to be left alone they would do just that. They would go alone on date nights or with friends. 

Regardless, they loved the place! If I could avoid the hassle of travel I think my 94 year old mom would chose that as her one place to go for a great and nostalgic meal out. I can’t speak to the greatness of the food or atmosphere, but that was their go to spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good dining, to me, means good food, portions, spaciousness, relaxed and not over priced.

A tall order many of the local Italian “hot spots” don’t fulfill, imo.

La Bella Sicilia fills that bill, I think, provided you’re not seated in the front of the restaurant.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Casual Italian:  Mulberry's or Santaserio's

Can you narrow down the type of Latin American cuisine you're looking for?

Mexican/Central American preferably

13 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

You're back!  Welcome!

Thanks, just for a few days

13 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

You're back!  Welcome!

Thanks, just for a few daye

For "famous" casual Italian, Chef's, downtown. 

For better casual Italian, Trattoria Aroma on Main St. in Williamsville.  

For much better Italian still, but no longer casual, San Marco Ristorante, in Snyder.  

With the caveat that this is Buffalo, NY we are talking about and you don't need to wear a suit at San Marco.

It's by far the best restaurant for Italian food in WNY IMO.

Latin American? Can't think of any offhand!

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

For "famous" casual Italian, Chef's, downtown. 

For better casual Italian, Trattoria Aroma on Main St. in Williamsville.  

For much better Italian still, but no longer casual, San Marco Ristorante, in Snyder.  

With the caveat that this is Buffalo, NY we are talking about and you don't need to wear a suit at San Marco.

It's by far the best restaurant for Italian food in WNY IMO.

Latin American? Can't think of any offhand!

Yes to Trattoria Aroma.

An authentic Mexican place I really like is Taqueria los Mayas.  It’s on Genessee and Union.  It’s not much from an ambiance standpoint, but the tacos, tamales and burritos are the best I’ve had in Buffalo.  My friend grew up in So Cal and said the tamales were the best she’s had since she lived there.  Salsa, chips and queso are excellent as well. 

21 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Good dining, to me, means good food, portions, spaciousness, relaxed and not over priced.

A tall order many of the local Italian “hot spots” don’t fulfill, imo.

La Bella Sicilia fills that bill, I think, provided you’re not seated in the front of the restaurant.

Another vote for La Bella. Big portions. Home made. Delicious. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think @teef has the low down on a good Mexican joint in Rochester, IIRC.

there are a couple of decent places here, but the one's i prefer aren't hardcore authentic.  

bitter honey is a great place by the public market is anyone is interested.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:03 PM, PastaJoe said:

Frank’s Sunny Italy on Delaware Ave. But they’re only open 4-8pm.

https://www.frankssunnyitaly.org/menu

i love that this place is still open.  i would go there years ago when i lived in buffalo.  not the best italian food out there, but my god the portions were huge.  you'd be eating for days with one meal.  i remember my first time there.  i ordered meatballs as a size, and the waitress asked me how many.  i stated 2, and she asked me if i was sure.  of course i was sure.  well, what she didn't tell me was that the meatballs were the size of soft balls.  not sure if it's still that way.  

• Like (+1) 1

Niagara Cafe.

Awhile back I worked at a hotel downtown where the visiting teams stayed who were playing the bisons.  Without fail all the Latin American players would bee-line to that place the minute they arrived.  Imo that is the best endorsement you can possibly see.

Italian, I would do either Fortunas in Niagara Falls or Ilio D'Paolos

Edited by May Day 10

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.