Giants cap situation and potential trade options

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is better in zone. Patrick Graham's defense is a hybrid coverage scheme. They want, principally, to play a heavy dose of man but they backed off that a bit mid way through 2021. Bradberry only gave up 2 TDs in the last 7 games so it is fair to say that helped him. I just think he had a career year in Carolina in 2018. It happens. Players who are kind of above average starters suddenly have great years. 

Feels like he was drafted to play in  McDermott’s defense so his skill set should be aligned to it. As you say, at the right place could be an upgrade at CB2. Depends if he sees Buffalo as great opportunity to bridge to his next deal because he would be put in a scheme to succeed (and win). Seems like it would be.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is better in zone. Patrick Graham's defense is a hybrid coverage scheme. They want, principally, to play a heavy dose of man but they backed off that a bit mid way through 2021. Bradberry only gave up 2 TDs in the last 7 games so it is fair to say that helped him. I just think he had a career year in Carolina in 2018. It happens. Players who are kind of above average starters suddenly have great years. 

Jordan Phillips Syndrome. Lol.

Thank you for the info on the Giants Defense.

Bradberry is very good. He played in a division with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, peak Michael Thomas, Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley. He was always matched against their best guy. So in that context 'average' numbers are excellent. Was he drafted while McD was there? If not Beane certainly was.

But the cap number would be a problem so I don't see it happening.

15 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Bradberry is very good. He played in a division with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, peak Michael Thomas, Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley. He was always matched against their best guy. So in that context 'average' numbers are excellent. Was he drafted while McD was there? If not Beane certainly was.

But the cap number would be a problem so I don't see it happening.

Yes he was drafted specifically for McDermotts's D to replace Josh Norman. 

• Like (+1) 1

Schoen and Daboll likely don't have any delusions about the 2022 season, it's going to look a lot like the 2018 Bills season and getting 6 wins will be an accomplishment.

However if there was ever an opportunity to unload Edmunds this may be the best trade partner and option, either in terms of getting a quality veteran starter in return or decent draft pick.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. I don't agree I'm afraid. I think he is a decent starting corner. If he is your #1 corner you should be looking for an upgrade. He is a good #2.  He had a career year his final season in Carolina and cashed in for a big payday. He gave up 8 touchdowns in coverage this year. Too many. 

The advanced numbers show a steady downward trend for him: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradJa00.htm. Note the missed tackle percentage (the last column).  

• Agree 1

I would pass on Bradberry. Similar profile to Levi Wallace, which are average to below average speed so almost exclusively a boundary/zone corner.  Now Bradberry is a really GOOD zone corner...but if the bills are going to spend capital, then it better not be on a zone corner.

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Feels like he was drafted to play in  McDermott’s defense so his skill set should be aligned to it. As you say, at the right place could be an upgrade at CB2. Depends if he sees Buffalo as great opportunity to bridge to his next deal because he would be put in a scheme to succeed (and win). Seems like it would be.

The Bills need to get faster in the secondary. If they're coming back with the exact same zone heavy scheme to protect their boundary corner, then I think that's a mistake. Get a corner who can play both Zone and man. It'll cost money, but the key to beating these elite QBs isn't going to be blitzing them, it's going to getting elite coverage.

Against the Chiefs, the Bengals actually played a lot of man, and were able to do so because Bates is an elite safety who ran a 4.5 40 at the combine and can cover large parts of the field. If either Poyer or Hyde are sub 4.6 I'd eat my Allen jersey. Same with Levi Wallace.

• Like (+1) 2

Looking on Spotrac and the Giants can get out of their cap situation pretty easily. Just by restructuring Leonard Williams, Golladay, and Adoree Jackson along with cutting Bradberry and Sterling Sheppard the Giants get to 26 million in cap space. They can also get more space by cutting Kyle Rudolph and Blake Martinez (and restructuring Logan Ryan) and have about 43 million in cap space. There is also possible savings with a Barkley trade. 

Overall the Giants might not do all of those restructurings but they will at the very least do 2-4 of them and make a few cuts to get into the 25ish million dollars in space and have some space to work with and sign their rookies.  

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Schoen and Daboll likely don't have any delusions about the 2022 season, it's going to look a lot like the 2018 Bills season and getting 6 wins will be an accomplishment.

However if there was ever an opportunity to unload Edmunds this may be the best trade partner and option, either in terms of getting a quality veteran starter in return or decent draft pick.

The Giants have decent linebackers I don't think they want Tremaine on the last year of his deal, the Bills are better off letting Edmunds play out the last year of his deal instead of getting at best a mid-round pick for him. At worst the Bills will be in position to get a comp pick if they let him walk. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 12:13 PM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Bradberry would be great just don’t know if we can fit him in our cap. 

I thought his cap hit was around 12 million this year. I think the Bills will look to the draft for a CB. Wouldn't surprise me if that is where they go in Rd 1.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

you're kidding right?

Nope. I’d take him for maybe a 5th or lower, but not a 4th. I’m not opposed to adding Barkley, but I think our higher draft picks are more valuable right now.

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

Barkley for a 4th? No thanks.

I'd give up our 4th round pick for him. 

15 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Nope. I’d take him for maybe a 5th or lower, but not a 4th. I’m not opposed to adding Barkley, but I think our higher draft picks are more valuable right now.

A 4th round pick isn't much. 

26 minutes ago, Rubes said:

A 4th is considered a higher pick? Come on man. And more valuable that Barkley? That’s borderline absurd IMO. 

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A 4th round pick isn't much. 

Maybe, but when you need to keep developing as many players as possible on rookie salaries once your franchise QB's huge cap hit takes effect, you need those draft picks, especially rounds 1-5.

I'd consider getting Barkley for one of ours 6ths plus a player—like maybe Moss.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

A 4th is considered a higher pick? Come on man. And more valuable that Barkley? That’s borderline absurd IMO. 

Yep, see above. Sorry if you don't like that, it's not absurd.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:02 PM, Mat68 said:

What many forget.  Daboll was not part of the tare down in Buffalo.  Mcdermott was able to isolate veteran leadership and remove those that didnt work or follow his way regardless of salary.  Beane was able to flip those players Mcdermott wanted out and piled assets to get Allen.  NYG are in a severely worse position than Buf was.  Idk what leadership is there and they have no cap to absorb the cap implications of removing the past contract mistakes. 

I don't believe Jones that bad a QB.  I think Daboll will resurrect his career in New York

39 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You have to consider Barkleys salary, which is about 7 million this year I think. So it would be a 4th plus 7 million. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.