What position do you consider biggest need for Bills going into this offseason?

Lost

What position do you consider biggest need for Bills going into this offseason?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. What positions would you like to see addressed first going into free agency and the NFL draft.

• CB
    • LB
    • DL
    • OL
    • WR
    • RB
    • TE
    • K/P

Okay armchair GMs,  we've had some time to digest our agonizing playoff loss and reflect on the season, now you're in charge of getting the Bills past the Chiefs Bengals and into the SB next year.   What do you see as our biggest positional need going into this offseason and why.   

Edited by Lost

I personally would like us to upgrade our LB core.   Assuming we still have Leslie Frazier next year running a cover 2 still, it really asks a lot of our linebackers and IMO we've really been exploited the most in the middle of the field this season.   Tremaine Edmunds just hasn't been playing up to his potential and I think that's the one position we need an absolute playmaker right now.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

RCB .....while Wallace has been good we need great...lots to choose from this year with length and speed.

Should be a good one when we pick though the dearth of R1 QBs will drive up the value of all other positions.

That said...what the first 2 rounds of the playoffs showed us is that top offenses will beat decent to very good defenses to bits. Get me a WR. 

Edited by Beerball
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Lost said:

Okay armchair GMs,  we've had some time to digest our agonizing playoff loss and reflect on the season, now you're in charge of getting the Bills past the Chiefs into the SB next year.   What do you see as our biggest positional need going into this offseason and why.   

I would say a big play defensive player,  the Bills have needs at DT/LB and CB but I think Beane really needs to focus on getting someone on that defence that is capable of making big plays. Beyond White there is not one player who offences need to prepare for. 

I don't agree that the offseason should be about getting Josh Allen more weapons because beyond RB with burst & speed I think were good for another year with Davis/Diggs/Beasley. I think if they can sign Fournette for the same money they paid Sanders then he could be our starting RB for next couple of years and he gives us both power & speed with Singetary as his primary back-up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

a fast CB.  not even close.  

A good CB. 

23 minutes ago, Lost said:

I personally would like us to upgrade our LB core.   Assuming we still have Leslie Frazier next year running a cover 2 still, it really asks a lot of our linebackers and IMO we've really been exploited the most in the middle of the field this season.   Tremaine Edmunds just hasn't been playing up to his potential and I think that's the one position we need an absolute playmaker right now.  

The guy plays almost every snap. Good luck replacing that and getting quality play.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Lost said:

Okay armchair GMs,  we've had some time to digest our agonizing playoff loss and reflect on the season, now you're in charge of getting the Bills past the Chiefs into the SB next year.   What do you see as our biggest positional need going into this offseason and why.   

Not sure if the Bills consider trading their first rounder along with Edmonds to the Jets for the 10th overall selection so they can get a difference maker on defence.  The Jets HC seems to like Edmonds and his size,  the guy will only be 24 in May and do the Bills want to pay him after next season?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

40 minutes ago, Lost said:

Fire Lesley Frazier! After this loss it’s inexcusable to keep him! 13 seconds 13 seconds 13 seconds

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A good CB. 

The guy plays almost every snap. Good luck replacing that and getting quality play.

I would prefer we draft at the CB and Oline positions, find a way to get rid of Edmunds and get another veteran free agent LB like Haason Reddick.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Should be a good one when we pick though the dearth of R1 QBs will drive up the value of all other positions.

That said...what the first 2 rounds of the playoffs showed us is that top offenses will beat decent to very good defenses to bits. Get me a WR. 

Round 2 or FA

Then go 3,4,5 OL

6,7 BPA

I think overall just a baseline talent increase.

never have a been a fan of trading down more than this year.  I want 5 or more top 100 picks.  Ideally an early 2nd looking for a late first pick trades their 2nd, 3rd and a 5th to move up 10-15 spots.

2 twos, 3 threes  (if we lose LF) and then taking some of those 4-7 to move up back into the 3rd…so 4 3rd round picks

I voted CB because White might not be ready week 1 and Wallace is a FA.

either Washington CB would make me pleased, if we could draft them around 35…Washington does a good job preparing their secondary for the NFL.

but after that, I also want a DT, DE, G and a LB…

But also Safety and RB need to be addressed.

47 minutes ago, Lost said:

I would prefer we draft at the CB and Oline positions, find a way to get rid of Edmunds and get another veteran free agent LB like Haason Reddick.

Edmunds is not a problem and shouldn't be on anyone's find a way to get rid of list. Edmunds and Milano are so far from being a problem.

I'm not saying extend Edmunds, but he's not an issue. 

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

I think it’s IOL…the priority needs to be to protect our franchise qb. Bates was good when he finally played, but I think he should be a backup. We could use a road grading guard to open up the run game and protect Allen from nasty DTs. 

Corner is the popular pick for a lot of you because 13 seconds is fresh in everyone’s mind and we lost Tre for some time. IMO, Wallace and Jackson fared very well together and either one could be CB2. 13 seconds was more on our coaches crapping their pants than the personnel. 

We could use and upgrade at CB2, but we can just as easily get that upgrade in FA or the mid rounds. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

RCB .....while Wallace has been good we need great...lots to choose from this year with length and speed.

We NEED great?  How many teams have two GREAT corners?  We have Tre, who is great.  We have one of the best slot corners in the league.  Many would consider him a great slot corner.  We have 2 all pro safeties……now we need another great corner…..in a McD system?   If our biggest need is having a great #2 corner to go along with our other 4 great starting DBs, than we don’t have much to worry about. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I think it’s IOL…the priority needs to be to protect our franchise qb. Bates was good when he finally played, but I think he should be a backup. We could use a road grading guard to open up the run game and protect Allen from nasty DTs. 

Corner is the popular pick for a lot of you because 13 seconds is fresh in everyone’s mind and we lost Tre for some time. IMO, Wallace and Jackson fared very well together and either one could be CB2. 13 seconds was more on our coaches crapping their pants than the personnel. 

We could use and upgrade at CB2, but we can just as easily get that upgrade in FA or the mid rounds. 

Agreed.  Build a wall in front of 17 and give him weapons.  In todays nfl, it’s nearly impossible to stop a great offenseZ. You might slow them down, but there’s not much you can do to stop them.  We have a very good defense.  A very good defense that was best in the league, mainly because it’s extremely hard to build a dominant D that wins Super Bowls without a great O/play calling. 

Priorities should be OL and weapons on O imo.  If we didn’t have to punt 4 times, we would’ve won.  Give 17 more to work with and we’ll get ours 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think there is more than just 1 position so i didn't vote but RB is 1 OL still needs a piece maybe 2 but they may have them on the team i think LB is another position of need !

I'm just no sure that Edmunds is playing in the right position he didn't play MLB in college & i think has to think to much & can't rely on his instincts because of having to think for the entire D alignment . He given his athleticism might be better covering Kelsey or the TE and get a true MLB & let him just play rather than think .

Then of course given what ever happens this year with the CB position who stays who goes there will probably need depth there.

WR is a place of strength but i think there will be some holes to fill to sure if someone flashes some cash Mckenzie he's gone but Hodgins waiting then who ever is in the draft .

Edited by T master

2 hours ago, Lost said:

Having a 10% better LB than Edmunds changes what vs KC?  Fred Warner or Darius Leonard doesnt change that outcome.  I think Edmunds style is that of a finesse pass defender.  He is not the enforcer but the NFL wants to remove that style of play.  For what Mcdermott wants out of his defense Edmunds is the guy he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

For me it's O-Line 1st and IDL 2nd...Adding a stud to both would have a big impact IMHO...B-)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Build a wall in front of 17 and give him weapons.  In todays nfl, it’s nearly impossible to stop a great offenseZ. You might slow them down, but there’s not much you can do to stop them.  We have a very good defense.  A very good defense that was best in the league, mainly because it’s extremely hard to build a dominant D that wins Super Bowls without a great O/play calling. 

Priorities should be OL and weapons on O imo.  If we didn’t have to punt 4 times, we would’ve won.  Give 17 more to work with and we’ll get ours 

Exactly. You aren’t “stopping” KC. I feel Beane and McD are a little too obsessed with stopping them thinking that is the ticket to a SB. It sort of concerns me that Beane said he’s gonna add more to the defensive line this off-season and spoke specifically about corner as well. 

If Allen has time, he’s nearly unstoppable. However, when he does have time, he’s also throwing to slower targets who don’t get YAC.  Our RB picked it up late, but is slow and was largely ineffective most of the season. We can upgrade there as well.

Our defense is fine. Get a mid round or FA CB to compete with Dane and Levi, and possibly get a vet DE to replace Addison. The rest needs to be in improving the speed of our playmakers and protecting Allen. 

We waited over 20 years to have a qb that we can be excited about. It would be a shame if we didn’t maximize his abilities by investing early and often into helping him succeed. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

The Bills gave enough talent. Adding BPA in the draft is the way to go. But the cold truth is that this team's biggest weakness and hindrance to success is McDermott's in game, situational coaching. Until that gets sorted out, it really doesn't matter who they add. He's always going to be getting in the way.

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I think we need another veteran CB opposite Tre. Not a rookie getting his feet wet. It’s killing me to think that there was a former All Pro CB, Kyle Fuller, on the trading block at the deadline and Buffalo didn’t attempt to acquire him. If you want to draft CBs later for depth, fine but they better be good enough to make the final roster because the vultures will be circling the PS

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Exactly. You aren’t “stopping” KC. I feel Beane and McD are a little too obsessed with stopping them thinking that is the ticket to a SB. It sort of concerns me that Beane said he’s gonna add more to the defensive line this off-season and spoke specifically about corner as well. 

If Allen has time, he’s nearly unstoppable. However, when he does have time, he’s also throwing to slower targets who don’t get YAC.  Our RB picked it up late, but is slow and was largely ineffective most of the season. We can upgrade there as well.

Our defense is fine. Get a mid round or FA CB to compete with Dane and Levi, and possibly get a vet DE to replace Addison. The rest needs to be in improving the speed of our playmakers and protecting Allen. 

We waited over 20 years to have a qb that we can be excited about. It would be a shame if we didn’t maximize his abilities by investing early and often into helping him succeed. 

Stop no.  Can you atleast take away someone?  White can frustrate Kelce.  I would like another Cb opposite White.  That is also assuming White is 100%.  With the injury severity with White having someone who can do some of the same things imo is crucial. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's 2022.

I’m convinced most of the “let’s draft defense” crowd are old folks. I have no way of knowing for sure, but offense is the name of today’s NFL. We finally have a QB and people still want defense instead of adding to our greatest strength. I don’t get it…

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Stop no.  Can you atleast take away someone?  White can frustrate Kelce.  I would like another Cb opposite White.  That is also assuming White is 100%.  With the injury severity with White having someone who can do some of the same things imo is crucial. 

And you can find that in the mid rounds or in FA. 

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Having a 10% better LB than Edmunds changes what vs KC?  Fred Warner or Darius Leonard doesnt change that outcome.  I think Edmunds style is that of a finesse pass defender.  He is not the enforcer but the NFL wants to remove that style of play.  For what Mcdermott wants out of his defense Edmunds is the guy he wants. 

Fair enough.  But just one extra stop on 3rd down or another big play in that game coulda made all the difference.   I realize we are probably stuck with Edmunds next year at least because of his Cap hit but I still think he's been underperforming for his salary more than anyone else on the team.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I’m convinced most of the “let’s draft defense” crowd are old folks. I have no way of knowing for sure, but offense is the name of today’s NFL. We finally have a QB and people still want defense instead of adding to our greatest strength. I don’t get it…

I disagree.  White is a top 5 or 10 Cb.  Those guys are very expensive in FA and are not available outside of the top 40 picks in the draft.  Need another corner with elite traits. Not a zone corner.  We got plenty of zone guys.  Need some else to matchup up with KC and Cincy.  

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You need defensive players to matchup with the offenses today, a thumping MLB to stop the run is not something that helps the Bills win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don't think people necessarily are saying defense wins championships but perhaps people are more comfortable with where our offense is for the most part as opposed to D.   The OL has been playing better going late into the season although there is still plenty of room for improvement.  Davis and Knox had breakout years at WR and TE, we're probably keeping Beasley in the slot.  Motor came around late in the season as well.  

2 hours ago, Lost said:

You shouldn’t draft for need so I reject the question entirely.

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

I don't think people necessarily are saying defense wins championships but perhaps people are more comfortable with where our offense is for the most part as opposed to D.   The OL has been playing better going late into the season although there is still plenty of room for improvement.  Davis and Knox had breakout years at WR and TE, we're probably keeping Beasley in the slot.  Motor came around late in the season as well.  

I don’t understand this. We had the number one ranked defense in the entire league. Haha. 

We can’t keep adding to the defense without thinking ahead in that Morse could retire at any moment and Beasley is nearing the end of his contract. Not to mention it sounds like McKenzie is gone along with Sanders. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.